1911Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While looking at 1911 slide stops in the Brownell's catalog, I noticed that they are sold for specific calibers. I can't figure out why there would need to be a difference unless the magazine followers of different calibers necessitate a size difference for proper function.

I tried an empty .45 mag in my Delta Elite, and a 10mm mag in my .45, and both engaged the slide stops to lock back the slides.

When comparing the parts from both guns, I could not see a dimensional difference between them, although I don't have the tools to measure them precisely.

I have always figured that all 1911 slide stops would be built to the same specs regardless of caliber. If not, choices of aftermarket parts for my Delta Elite are more limited than I thought.

If they do need to be different, why is it? What would be the difference between a .45 and a 10mm stop? Am I correct in assuming that a slide stop for a .40 would work fine in a gun chambered for 10mm?

I would appreciate any assistance in clearing up my ignorant misconceptions regarding the 1911
. Thanks in advance.

--Todd Dow

·
Registered
149 Posts
The importent issue is for the bullets advancing up the mag not to hit te slide stop. Since 9/38 and 10/40 due to mag design will be further from mag funnel wall, the nub on slide stop to catch mag follower can be somewhat longer. I use 45 slide stop in both 9/38 and 10/40 1911 type guns. In 9/38 mags I have had to bend the lover part on follower outwards to mage positive engagement.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Slide stops for high capacity capable pistols (double stack) have a smaller contact head because the rounds are side by side in the magazine. Therefore every second round is closer to the contact head than it would be in a single stack magazine. It's for clearance to prevent that "closer" round from activating the slide catch. All standard 1911 single stack slide catches are original design size.

------------------
Really interesting....Don't ya think??

[This message has been edited by Newton (edited 09-07-2001).]

1 - 3 of 3 Posts