1911Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, Ive been lurking for a long time and I have a question for the gurus.
I assembled my 1911 from parts and I am having an issue. My slide sits forward my frame by about 1/16th of an inch. If I put my thumb safety on and move the slide back, the slide will be flush with the frame and the thumb safety will still function.
Here is the parts list:
Doublestar lower and the rest from Sarco.
Nothing "aftermarket" yet.
And yes, the gun passes all of the safety checks according to http://www.cylinder-slide.com/.

I have my nomex on. :dope:

·
Registered
195 Posts
Putting together a slide and frame from different manufacturers will lead to the problem you described. If the gun functions safely like you say then you can get a file and blend in the back of the frame.

·
Registered
83 Posts
From what your describing it sounds like your barrel is not correctly fit. If I understand you correctly you have to move the slide to the rear to fully engage you thumb safety. This would indicate that the feet on the underside of the barrel are cut back to far. If the safety can be fully engage with the slid e in it's fully forward position, and everything functions safely and correctly you can bled the frame and slide to match.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Barrels lower lugs dictate when the slide stops in relation to the frame.
Using questionable quality parts will get you surprises like this along with many other surprises. You will just have to deal with it by either
1. Dremeling the frame to mate with the slide.
2. Buying a match barrel and cutting the lower lugs with a lug cutter so slide/frame mate.
3. Welding up the current lower lugs so you can recut them.
4. Live with it as it is.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts