1911Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished my first build using a 10MM/.40 S&W RIA kit, which unfortunately didn't include the reverse bushing and the ejector pin was faulty, so I put the gun together without the recoil spring, guide rod, and ejector just to get everything else fitted and try some function testing. Upon inserting the slide stop and pushing the slide back forward, I realized I couldn't pull the slide back more than 1/8 an inch or just enough to engage half cock and the barrel does not appear to drop and disengage the locking lugs. What would be the best way to get the slide to go back so I can get the gun back disassembled? I'm guessing a rubber mallet smack to the front of the slide would help persuade it but I figured I should ask here before I start smacking on anything.

·
Registered
659 Posts
I've not experienced this, but I'm guessing the slide stop is not through the link as it should be. When trying to retract the slide, the link is jamming things.

Try applying pressure to the barrel hood while retracting the slide. Perhaps even inverted so gravity is not pulling the link down.

At least something I would try before hammering on it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've not experienced this, but I'm guessing the slide stop is not through the link as it should be. When trying to retract the slide, the link is jamming things.

Try applying pressure to the barrel hood while retracting the slide. Perhaps even inverted so gravity is not pulling the link down.

At least something I would try before hammering on it.
Could have sworn I had the link aligned correctly but gave this a try anyways. Didn't relieve it, but it was worth a shot.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update! After some deliberation and trying everything else I could think of or find for similar issues, I decided to drill out the slide stop. Drilled through it until it disconnected from the bar and pushed the pin out and slide came right off. So what was holding everything up? The damn locking lugs on the barrel! They're way oversized and will not clear the recesses in the slide when the link drops down. Now going to work on getting them fitted just right and by the end of the week when the rest of the parts get here this should be a shooter.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Glad you were able to finally get it off. Sux you had to destroy a SS to do so. Odd that the barrel would be so tight from the start. I guess you didn't test the slide to barrel fit before putting it on the frame. Maybe there's a burr that got peened into the lugs causing the binding.

Sounds just like one of those many days where a simple task turns into a massive headache.

·
Premium Member
14,848 Posts
Following a barrel fitting regime would likely be a benefit. :)

LOG

·
Registered
164 Posts
Most likely your link is too long. I just had the same problem with my new build and Kart Xact fit barrel. I had to push down on the barrel hood, then it would unlock. I fixed this by installing #1 link and carefully filing down the lower lugs until the slide stop made full contact.

·
Premium Member
14,848 Posts
Most likely your link is too long. I just had the same problem with my new build and Kart Xact fit barrel. I had to push down on the barrel hood, then it would unlock. I fixed this by installing #1 link and carefully filing down the lower lugs until the slide stop made full contact.
This does not sound promising for a "fit" barrel as the upper is not in contact as meant to be for a fit barrel.

LOG

·
Registered
164 Posts
This does not sound promising for a "fit" barrel as the upper is not in contact as meant to be for a fit barrel.

LOG
Well, "fit" typically means fit to standard specifications, and if the frame and/or slide are slightly out of spec (which was my case), you'd have to do some additional fitting. And it still was less work than fitting an oversized/gunsmith fit barrel from scratch.

·
Premium Member
14,848 Posts
Well, "fit" typically means fit to standard specifications, and if the frame and/or slide are slightly out of spec (which was my case), you'd have to do some additional fitting. And it still was less work than fitting an oversized/gunsmith fit barrel from scratch.
No, Fit was meant to imply GS fit, or Kart Xact fit, where the barrel's first upper lug recess makes contact with the slide and the lower lug is riding on the slide stop pin. In this way the barrel is fitted to the existing conditions of slide and frame. Results matter.

LOG

·
Registered
164 Posts
No, Fit was meant to imply GS fit, or Kart Xact fit, where the barrel's first upper lug recess makes contact with the slide and the lower lug is riding on the slide stop pin. In this way the barrel is fitted to the existing conditions of slide and frame. Results matter.

LOG
I think we're talking about the same thing here :) What I was trying to say is that the link that my Kart barrel came with was a bit too long for my frame and slide, the upper lugs were in full contact with the slide, but gun wouldn't fully unlock until pushed down on the barrel hood, with a very distinct click. A shorter link resolved this issue but the lower lugs needed some trimming. After everything was done, the upper lugs are still in contact with the slide and the lower lugs are riding on the pin. Checked several times with sharpies and dykem. I haven't test fired it yet but looks like this baby is going to produce at least 2" groups :)

·
Premium Member
8,754 Posts
How short a link (#) did you use?

That click was the barrel lug corner snapping off the slide lug corner. You pushing down on it indicated
  • the barrel couldn’t drop on its own;
  • there was some room under the barrel;
  • with a shorter link your barrel timing is most likely incorrect and you’ll most likely be replaces lots of short links and perhaps a barrel and slide.
  • can’t say for certain with out gun in hand or barrel timing test data and accurate lug engagement measurements.

If a shorter link resolved this issue then that means the VIS was most likely too far forward or the frame barrel bed is too high. If the link was the issue the barrel would have been correct without touching the lower lugs. Filing the lower lugs and achieving fit indicates other dimensions are awry. The link on an EX-Act Fit (Ez- Fit) is fitted to standard GI lower lug dimesions. When problems like this arise always remove the link and test barrel fit. Make corrections to obtain proper upper and lower lug fit, then do and adjust the timing tests.

Did you do the barrel timing tests after adjusting the hood length and width? That have revealed a VIS too far forward or a bed (bridge) too high.

Let us know how it turns out.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have been waiting to find a conversation where someone said this exact thing I have been having that problem on my 1911 its my first build and I really didn't want to **** up anything that Im already pouring ALL of my money ion to as it is. Thanks a million I will keep you posted as wheather or not I get it to work its the last thing I have to do to the gun. Im sure glade I didnt just file the hell out of the rails or the slide. (I am building a very speacial proof of concept 1911, Lets say it didnt start as afirearm)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts