1911Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WEe told ya'll I'd be back for more advice <grin>, well for giggles I put a 200gn lswc on my scale, it read 206gn's, so I checked some more, and found many of them are well over 200gn, I then checked some rnfmj 200 gn's they all seem to be exactly 200gn,
My question is, will the lead SWC being over 5-7 gn's make a difference in the powder charge I should use?, ort is a 5-7 gn's acceptable weight difference in bullets?,

Thanks again
Tom

·
Registered
10 Posts
You made me go check mine. I weighted mine pre lube, 194-197gr. Then lubed 196-199gr. I have a Lee 2 cavity mold and it looks like it is dropping 2 different weights.

I weighted some I bought and they are 199-201gr. A little closer then mine.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I beleive the published grain weight for a lead bullet is without lube. If so, a lubed 200 gr bullet should weigh 204 to 206 gr. I have weighed samples in the past and found that the weight between bullets is fairly consistant. When they vary more than 1/2 gr, I looked for flaws in the bullet or a difference in the lube. Have not de-lubed any of them yet for comparison.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by Jim Watson:
Those are not very good bullets, but 5-7 grains will not present a safety hazard. You are not loading at +P levels, are you?
No I'm not, in fact i'm looking for the lightest recoil I can get for three gun

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by Wolfie:
You made me go check mine. I weighted mine pre lube, 194-197gr. Then lubed 196-199gr. I have a Lee 2 cavity mold and it looks like it is dropping 2 different weights.

I weighted some I bought and they are 199-201gr. A little closer then mine.
See the can of worms newbies can open up <g>
Thanks, the fmj I got were right on the money

1 - 6 of 6 Posts