1911Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks,

I just became the proud new owner of a Duty Coated Valor Bobtail and I noticed a slight rattle towards the front of the gun between the slide and frame. Now I know slide and frame fit does not affect accuracy (or at least not as much as the barrel and bushing), but I'm still curious to hear whether or not this is normal with other Dan Wessons. This is my first high-end 1911 so I'm not sure what to expect. Likewise, those of you who have other high-end 1911s feel free to chime in too!

·
Premium Member
6,628 Posts
Not typical. Put some grease on the rails and it may go away.

Keep in mind every gun is individual.
Although the price for a DW is not chump change it is far from being "high end".

Bob

·
Premium Member
5,668 Posts
This is not typical for DW they are generally very tightly fit frame to slide with virtually no play.. Im kind of surprised to hear that its loose..

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Hey folks,

............ I noticed a slight rattle towards the front of the gun between the slide and frame.
The frame rails only go so far forward in their engagement of the slide. The dust cover obviously offers no support and a twist or pull of the front of the slide can make contact with the dust cover.

If you really want to know how tight the slide/frame fit is, field strip and use q-tips or similar to get out all the lube/grease so the rails are completely dry. Put the top end back on the receiver and grasp the slide between where the slide stop pin hole is and the thumb safety. If there is any looseness you'll feel it there.

Finally add some lube to the rails and repeat as noted above. Should feel tight with the lube in there. Remember that there has to be a minute amount of space between the rails to accommodate lubricant. You might also try some Slide-glide lite from Brian Enos on the rails.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
As above, I don't know if DW is "high end", but I do think it is at or near the top of production pistols...so therefore some lack of "fitting" can be expected...

I have a S&W E series that rattles... My GI, NH, and Pistol Dynamics have very tight/smooth fittings as should be expected...

Either way all of them are more accurate than I am...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the replies. The gun was new, but now has 100 rds through it (factory ball). Jimsea, that's a good point that I've never really considered and I hope that's the case. I'll give it a try next time I bring the gun out. I should probably handle a few 1911's before passing mine off as "rattling". Again, it's a very slight "rattle" and seems to happen towards the front of the pistol; the rear slide/frame fit is tight and akin to other Dan Wessons (and high-dollar 1911s).

Edit: I should clarify that there just seems to be a slight perceivable movement when I grasp the front of the slide and try to move it horizontally. If I grip the pistol and try to shake the front, I can hear some movement.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts