1911Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was cleaning the gun last night, and i bent the slide lock spring. it's not a bad bend but the spring is not perfectly straight, but not far off. i was wondering will this affect anything?

·
Premium Member
20,430 Posts
It's supposed to be bent. Keeps the little bugger from flying into orbit when you disassembe.

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
Plunger tube spring located between the slide stop and thumb safety is suppose to be bent. The recoil spring is suppose to be straight, hope that's not the one you bent (if so they're cheap $6.00).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
it seems to me tho that a slightly bent recoil spring wouldn't hurt anything would it? since it can only compress and decompress, it can't bend out anywhere since it is basically surrounded by a tube?

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
You should be alright if it was just slightly bent, but as I mentioned they're cheap enough-

·
Premium Member
20,430 Posts
Which spring are you talking about? The tiny one in the plunger tube is supposed to be bent. If it were my recoil spring, I'd change it out. If that's the one, how in the world did you bend it?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the recoil spring (the big one that runs the length under the barrel). where can i order one? is there a website? as far as the explanation of how it happened... this was my first handgun (kimber sis custom) and while i was reassembling it i forgot to push the barrel link forward so when i put the slide stop in it didn't catch, and the slide slid forward coming off the gun and slightly bending the spring. there's no actual bend mark on the spring but it's overall shape isn't as straight as it was before the careless mistake. it was just a careless error on my part as i am learning.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
where to buy the spring?

Go here, you need a "16lb recoil spring"

http://www.gunsprings.com/1ndex.html

you won't go wrong with a Wolf spring.

Also,
1) MidwayUSA.com are good to deal with.
2) Brownells is a default supplier of 1911 parts
3) You can order one from Kimber direct, but you'll overpay

1 - 9 of 9 Posts