1911Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been thinking about a set of slim VZ 320 grips for my Series 70.I know I'll have to change the bushings as well.
Is this difficult?:scratch:
Do I need any special tool to change them?:confused:
Could someone tell me how to do it please?:dope:

·
Registered
27,694 Posts
Kalash47 said:
I've been thinking about a set of slim VZ 320 grips for my Series 70.I know I'll have to change the bushings as well.
Is this difficult?:scratch:
Do I need any special tool to change them?:confused:
Could someone tell me how to do it please?:dope:
You need a bushing driver from Brownells.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
While you can "wing it" with a screwdriver, you'll really do better if you get the appropriate shallow and deeper bushing drivers from Brownells, assuming you'd prefer to avoid buggering up the bushings.

If you haven't already done so, permit me to suggest your trying the various slim grip profiles on your gun(s) before going to the trouble of making the bushing changes; many folks find them too slim as provided by several of the makers. I like .200" or thicker, but many of the "slim grips" out there are quite a bit thinner than this.
Best of luck.

·
Registered
532 Posts
+1 re getting the special bushing tool from brownells. I have gone to slim alumagrips on both of my 1911s. In both cases, I used a regular screwdriver. In both cases, at least one of the four bushings per gun stripped out to the point that I had to dremmel a deeper slot into the bushing such that the screwdriver could get enough "traction" to remove the bushing. If I had to do it again, I would:

get a soldering iron and heat the full size bushing in case there was any loctite like susbtance used to fasten them

use the special bushing removal tool to remove the bushings

degrease the new slim line bushings

install the slim line bushings with the new tool using just a dot of blue locktite for the bushings being careful to keep the loctite on the threads only

install the grips using the applicable slim line screws. I like slotted, ymmv.

·
Premium Member
20,405 Posts
It takes different bushing tools for the standard and slim bushings due to the depth of the screwdriver bit.

·
Premium Member
9,803 Posts
Agent Clark said:
I got standard grips from woodgrips, and they are fantastic! If I try the slim-grip switch, I'm going back to them.
yes....they make AWESOME slimlines here:

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Here's the Officer's sized Ultra Thin stocks I bought from woodgrips.com. $56 +$2 shipping, came with bushings, screws and wrench. Damn nice stocks, I hated to take 'em off, but I got a great deal on some Crimson Trace grips and this is my carry gun.

·
Registered
220 Posts
bushing tool

I used a good grade screwdriver to remove the original bushings:I was going to purchase the tool from brownells but thought let see how hard is it to remove them before buying the tool.
I used a little teflon Remington oil and a regular hair dryer and they were really no problem to remove them.

·
Registered
633 Posts
rondawg said:
Nice photo of a nice gun!
Thanks! The VZ grips provide great traction and are not overly abrasive.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts