1911Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
9mm loaded has slow recoil or I percieve it as slower than my other pistols. Have Kimber, Sig, S&W etc. It is a 5 inch model.

I have tried lube in the right places. It just does not feel "snappy". More slow motion for lack of a better example.

Typically shoot Winchester white box target.

Gun shoots fine and feeds fine

Would changing out spring with lower weight make faster?
Any suggestions?

·
Registered
22,020 Posts
I guess it is a Princess And The Pea thing. I don't notice it.

You could replace the ILS with a standard mainspring housing and fool with a different balance of mainspring and recoil spring. Stock SAs have light recoil springs and stiff mainsprings in the ILS; 9 and 28 lbs respectively.

My Colt with 13 lb recoil and 17 lb main springs keeps up with any rate of fire I can manage.

·
Banned
7,484 Posts
Grease will slow the action as it adds friction. If you're using grease strip it all off with solvent and use CLP.

Standard 9mm Goverenment Model recoil spring is 14#. Standard .45ACP 16# should work nicely too, many folks like an extra 2# of spring.

Another spring issue, as noted above, is the mainspring. The standard 23# spring takes more recoil pressure to cock the hammer than something like 19# and the ILS spring as furnished from the factory is very stiff. 28#?!

I immediately replaced the ILS mainspring housing with a standard MSH and spring setup on my SA pistols. You'll also need the spring plunger and pin, but the whole replacement is inexpensive. MSHs range from $4 to $50.

Almost to the point of trivia, the disconnector can give the pistol a notchy recoil. the recess in the slide needs to be smooth as does the tip of the disconnector. Only polish, don't remove any material. Excessive leaf spring on the disconnector adds to this feeling too.

-- Chuck

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
If it isn't broken yadda yadda- If your gun can keep up with rapid fire and it's reliable I don't think I'd worry about it.

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,344 Posts
The 9mm does not develop enough recoil energy to move a Government Model slide with much enthusiasm. I have a GM in .38 Super, and shoot it with loads that are pretty weak ([email protected]), and it cycles well - not noticeably slow compared to my .45s - with a 12# spring.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts