1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
12,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking for some small needle tip bottles for applying small amounts of oil, for some time.

I've used the Brownell's needle tip oilers ( http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-t...e-bottles/needle-oiler-bottles-prod44434.aspx ) for a while, but I'd always wanted something that provided a little more flow. I've found thin oils like BreakFree CLP and SLIP 2000 flow pretty well from those Brownell's bottles, but even a thin motor oil like Mobil 1 5W30 has a hard time getting through that needle tube.

I have a bottle of Wilson Ultima-Lube II Universal that is really a great lube, but one of the things I like best about the product is the bottle it came in.

While taking my kids to various craft stores over the years as they look for stuff for their school projects I found these needle tip bottles from Darice, at Joann Fabrics. They are basically miniature versions of the Ultima-Lube bottle. I would have preferred a 4oz bottle, but they work very well with the residue Mobil 1 and Amzoil I've had sitting around in my garage in mostly empty quart bottles. So far, they've worked quite well.

Joann Fabrics http://www.joann.com/darice-needle-tip-applicator-bottles/8154767.html

Darice needle tip bottles http://www.darice.com/store/details/catalog/wholesale-basics-toolbox-tools-accessories/1162-16

I hope this is helpful to somebody looking for such a product.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Thanks very much for this information, jtq. I also use the bottles from Brownells but have wished for a slightly larger tip for heavier viscosity oils. I will definitely give these a try!!

·
Banned
12,388 Posts
Good info. Ha! I just passed a Joann store 3 hours ago.
If I had read your thread first, I could have stopped there.
And these are cheaper than Brownell's bottles.

I few years back I found a nice needle applicator bottle
in the fishing section at the store -- for lubricating reels.
But it was $4 for one. jtq's find is even better.

·
Banned
1,443 Posts
O'Reilly Auto Parts

Has shirt pocket/gun box friendly needle oilers. Kinda like a Fountail Pen in that the 'cap' needs to be unscrewed to gain access to the tip. One drop at a time. About 10.00 dollars.

High dollar ink fountain pens should be as leakproof.

I have ATF in mine.

salty

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
I need one of these things.

Do they also come with (or can you get) a closed cap so that the bottles can be transported sealed and therefore without spilling the fluid?

·
Registered
12,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I need one of these things.

Do they also come with (or can you get) a closed cap so that the bottles can be transported sealed and therefore without spilling the fluid?
If you are asking about the bottles in my original post, the top snaps closed on the bottles and the seal is pretty secure. I can't see them leaking if tipped over. You could juggle them or toss them around and they won't leak, but the bottles are squeezable, so if you squeeze them hard enough, I'm sure you could force oil out of the screw down seal or pop the cap off before the bottle broke.

My Wilson Utima-Lube, which is in a similar bottle, leaked a little in my range bag, but I'm sure it was getting crushed by boxes of ammo. I did have the foresight to put it in a plastic baggie before I went to the range, so all I had to do was wipe off the bottle and chuck the baggie.

If you're asking about the oiler pen, the link shows a screw on cap.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Here you go:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/161121211354

LOT OF 6 ~ CRAFT NEEDLE TIP APPLICATOR BOTTLES BOTTLE~ 1oz Each

6 of them for $4.99 free shipping! I just ordered mine!

Even has the same pic as on the Darice website so they are Darice's! http://www.darice.com/store/details/catalog/wholesale-basics-toolbox-tools-accessories/1162-16

You can cut each bottle tip for a different flow, fine, medium or wide and then label them accordingly.

There are several sellers selling these, this was the best price.

·
Registered
12,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Here you go:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/161121211354

LOT OF 6 ~ CRAFT NEEDLE TIP APPLICATOR BOTTLES BOTTLE~ 1oz Each

6 of them for $4.99 free shipping! I just ordered mine!

There are several sellers selling these, this was the best price.
They are under $3.00 at Joann Fabrics, but then you have to go in and buy them. Of course you could just have your wife/kids pick them up the next time they make a craft run.

They've really been great, at least for me. For my needs, that oiler pen wasn't what I was looking for. I like to see how much lube is in the bottle, and for something like BreakFree CLP (at least the version I have) that has Teflon that will settle at the bottom of the bottle, it's nice to be able to see if you've shaken the stuff enough to get the Teflon back into solution.

In addition to the leftover motor oil, I've put some of my gun lubes in them, as the cap and tip are more convenient than some of the bottles my other gun lubes came in.

·
Registered
440 Posts
They are under $3.00 at Joann Fabrics, but then you have to go in and buy them. Of course you could just have your wife/kids pick them up the next time they make a craft run.

They've really been great, at least for me. For my needs, that oiler pen wasn't what I was looking for. I like to see how much lube is in the bottle, and for something like BreakFree CLP (at least the version I have) that has Teflon that will settle at the bottom of the bottle, it's nice to be able to see if you've shaken the stuff enough to get the Teflon back into solution.

In addition to the leftover motor oil, I've put some of my gun lubes in them, as the cap and tip are more convenient than some of the bottles my other gun lubes came in.
Yeah but I live in the middle of nowhere in KS and have never even heard of Joann Fabrics, heck the closest Walmart or craft store is 40 miles away! Even if they had them at Walmart it still would be cheaper to order them.

And I have 4 boys so not much crafting going on around here. (not that boys can't do crafts, kinda wish they would, get them off the video games)

·
Registered
12,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah but I live in the middle of nowhere in KS and have never even heard of Joann Fabrics, heck the closest Walmart or craft store is 40 miles away! Even if they had them at Walmart it still would be cheaper to order them.
Good point.

I was going to comment in my previous post that one could probably find a Joann Fabric store just about anywhere, as I've lived in some odd ball places myself. However, I must admit I never looked for a Joann Fabric store, let alone been in one until my kids started doing the more involved craft projects. I suppose they are not everywhere.

Good find on amazon, though. I think you'll like them.

My next project is to find the 4 oz version. An 8 oz version would also be good, then I could chuck a couple of old partially filled motor oil bottles sitting in the garage.

I even thought about those restaurant ketchup/mustard bottles, but most are not clear and I haven't found any with caps.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Good point.

I was going to comment in my previous post that one could probably find a Joann Fabric store just about anywhere, as I've lived in some odd ball places myself. However, I must admit I never looked for a Joann Fabric store, let alone been in one until my kids started doing the more involved craft projects. I suppose they are not everywhere.

Good find on amazon, though. I think you'll like them.

My next project is to find the 4 oz version. An 8 oz version would also be good, then I could chuck a couple of old partially filled motor oil bottles sitting in the garage.

I even thought about those restaurant ketchup/mustard bottles, but most are not clear and I haven't found any with caps.
Yes I am looking forward to getting them! I wanted some awhile back but only found the needle type and I didn't like those. I think these will work very nicely! And yes, clear is a big plus!

Thank you for the tip!! :rock:

Oh and the link I posted is eBay not Amazon.

·
Registered
189 Posts
My local REI sells small food grade bottles for carry various liquids. Much cheaper than even Brownells. Price was around .99 to 1.50 depending on the size of the container. Keep an eye out at your local camping store for similar items.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts