1911Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the scoop on 45ACP brass with a small pistol primer.

I picked up a few empties with this configuration at the range a couple of weeks ago. They mixed in with my brass and I discovered them when the primer wouldn't seat in the press.

Thanks.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I'd guess you found some with a military crimp. You need to get a primer pocket reamer and ream it out. It's not worth the trouble in my book.

·
Registered
21,759 Posts
Federal, too.
It is either that the lead-free priming compound works better in small size or costs less... or both.

They recommend the brass not be reloaded but Charles Petty removed the crimp and loaded some with styphnate SP primers. They shot, but velocity was lower than standard .45 brass and LP primers.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Another source of small primer 45 ACP brass is the German Geco company.
Much of it seems to show up in the WWII re-pack USGI ammo that has been for sale in the past few years.
A friend purchased a pack of 700+ rounds and it had a considerable amount of Geco as well as surplus U.S. Winchester and Remington.
I suppose it is reloadable unlike the new Winclean and Ballisticlean, but why bother?
MAG-63

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
Just to show my memory of silly minutia, Hansen (Yugoslavian plant, while it existed), made and exported small-primered .45 acp too. And, to top themselves, they sent over one batch of LARGE-primered .357 magnum ammo!

·
Registered
14,931 Posts
I got a box to test before Triton went belly-up. I don't think the brass was ever made available by Starline. I just remembered that the .450SMC uses a small primer, as do the .400 Cor-Bon and .40 Super.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Thanks for the answer.

I've read the Triton cases were made for small rifle primers. Doesn't a small rifle primer seat slightly deeper than a small pistol primer? If both of these suppositions were so, the Triton cases would have been convenient at the pressures I run, which is why I was interested in finding them.

·
Registered
14,931 Posts
No, small rifle primers are the same depth as small pistol primers. Large rifle primers are deeper than large pistol primers.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Well, just about a week ago I first came across these demonic things.

I guess that I wil pitch all of them now. What a shame! \

I wonder how long it will be before someone gets hurt trying to load these damn things and not catch the small primer pocket.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts