1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can I use small rifle primers in 9mm an 38? I have 4000 and don't have any other use for them. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Banned
5,052 Posts
Yes. They probably produce more spark than the usual pistol primer and this might increase pressure. Reduce your charge and work up slowly like you would when changing any component.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Dont do it. If this is being loaded for a handgun, alot of handguns dont have enough spring force to set off a rifile primer (they use a hard cup). Plus rifle primers are hotter, which could raise pressures.

Unless you load data states to use a rifle primer (some handguns do ex 454 Casull), dont do it.

Same deal with magnum pistol primers. While the cups are softer, they can raise pressures. If you load is near max - then its possible you will be above Max safe pressures by swapping to magnum or rifle primer.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
I accidently loaded 100 9mm rounds with small rifle primers instead of small pistol primers. About 1/3 of the first twenty that I tried failed to fire on the first hammer strike in several different pistols. I pulled the rest when I discovered my mistake.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Try them in YOUR firearms, working up small quans and slowly. You will come to your own conclusion, one that works for you.

·
Registered
14,933 Posts
I used thousands for 9mm, until I ran into a batch of tula srp with really hard primers.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Small rifle primers in a 9mm 1911 shouldn't be any problem in a factory sprung pistol. They are used in 38 Super chambered guns regularly (mine included, typically Remington 7 1/2s).

·
Registered
27,699 Posts
I've used tens of thousands of SRPs in 9mm, .38, .40 and .45 with no issues on hammer fired guns.

At least 100K. Lots of folks who reload for .223 use SRP's exclusively for all their loads.
Never had a failure.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
I've used tens of thousands of SRPs in 9mm, .38, .40 and .45 with no issues on hammer fired guns.

At least 100K. Lots of folks who reload for .223 use SRP's exclusively for all their loads.
Never had a failure.
Lots of us have the same experience as BillD. Me included.

But it's wise to recognize WalterGC's trouble (post #7) with hard primer cups. Rifle and magnum primers have harder cups to withstand greater pressure. Walter's experience is valuable to recognize.

·
Registered
27,699 Posts

But it's wise to recognize WalterGC's trouble (post #7) with hard primer cups. Rifle and magnum primers have harder cups to withstand greater pressure. Walter's experience is valuable to recognize.
Most of mine has been CCI SRP.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
with no issues on hammer fired guns..
I think that may be quite significant. I had very frequent failures to fire from the batch I accidently loaded with three Glocks and an M&P. They are striker-fired. I did not have a hammer-fired pistol with me that day. That may be the difference that could be a deal breaker if you use striker-fired pistols a lot.

As suggested earlier, try them in your handguns to see if they will actually fire.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for all the feed back everyone. I have a STI Trojan so I will try working up a load with them and see if it works.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Shouldn't be a problem with hammer fired pistols…striker fired, not so good.

·
Registered
14,933 Posts

Sure wished I'd testfired a few, before I did that batch of 5000!!!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
14,933 Posts
Get a 9mm AR15 carbine for those hard primers. Full hammer strike will ignite them. Or an open bolt full auto :D . That'll work.[aQUOTE]

Had one of our local gendarmes try some in his 9mm AR-type subgun. Lots of misfires.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts