1911Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Besides my family, I have two things I really love these days. Shooting is one. Having a nice cigar now and again is the other. In accordance with those loves, over the weekend I was in at the cigar shop (after a trip to the range) and heard the following story from the manager and one of his co-workers at the shop.

Earlier in the week a vehicle had pulled up the the front door of the shop which is located on a fairly busy street in decent, but older part of town. While one "gentlemen" stayed at the wheel of the car (observed through a nice big store front window) two other "gentlemen" came into the shop and basically "cased" the place before making a quick exit and drive off. No questions were asked relating to cigars. There was just a quick walk through the entire place with attention being paid to the layout of the business, who was there, and obvious interest in where the cash register was.

What the two "gentlemen" looking the place over did not know and may find out if they ever do come back again with some intent other than purchasing a quality cigar is that the two gentlemen running the place are both well seasoned and well practiced shooters (both are in regular competition) with a serious love for and rapid access to their personal self defense weapon of choice. Yep, the .45 caliber 1911. The co-worker is also an ex-military and civilian hand gun trainer.

The three of us have had some fine talks together in relation to our mutual love of shooting as well as our love of the 1911......along with a good smoke. I have proudly showed off my guns and I have seen theirs. The owner prefers his full sized series 70 Gov. COLT while his co-worker is now partial to a custom modded Springer Champion.

In one way it is comforting to know that I am having a smoke in a place where folks share both my love of a good cigar as well as my my love of the 1911. And.....those folks know how to effectively use theirs for personal defense if it should ever come to that, which honestly none of us want to see happen. But if it should.................

Oh....did not even mention the knives both of these guys carry. Let's just say nice, very nice and potentially very effective if need be.

Be safe, shoot well. :rock:

·
Registered
8,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Mtgrs737 said:
Doesn't sound like these guys will be joining the ranks of "Sheep" anytime soon!
Yo.....dead on. No "sheeps" in cigar land. I think a comment by the ex-military gentlemen at the shop sums it up well. "I won't just hand over my life to someone. They will have to take it from me and I won't make it easy for them."

And, even in gun bashing IL if someone walks into your "place of business" intending to appropriate goods (or the proceeds in the cash register) that do not belong to them.....you can still use serious force to protect both your life and your property.

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
1911's? Check

Cigars? Check

The only thing you need now, mitrod, is a good drink of Johnny Walker or Jack Daniels.;)

·
Registered
8,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Agent6-3/8 said:
1911's? Check. Cigars? Check. The only thing you need now, mitrod, is a good drink of Johnny Walker or Jack Daniels.;)
Man, I do hear you.

There are some fine "personal bottles of this and that" including some very high end Scotch at the smoke shop as they offer space for folks to bring in their own, but sad to say for me, mixing anything from the alcohol end of the spectrum with the meds I am currently on means a potential trip to the morgue for me these days :eek: .....probably not a good thing.

But for those who can and do......a nice drink does get enjoyed with a good cigar in the comfortable smoking lounge of the smoke shop.

As for me.....a good Punch, or Oliva, or Padron, or Rocky Pattel, an A F Short Story does a lot toward relaxing this old buzzard these days.....and along with a couple of other guys there I drink "green tea" with my smoke. Still a good taste going and definately not a trip to the morgue in the picture with that brew. :cool:

Be safe and shoot darn well. :rock:

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Mitrod,

Your cigar shop acquaintances sound like two fine gentlemen. They could probably hold their own against a couple of armed robbers. The only problem is, they're in a defensive position with respect to any pending robbery and it's a bad spot to be in even if you're a good shot.

In my very humble opinion, the smartest thing they could do is install a camera outside of their establishment to get licence plate numbers of those who try to case their business and submit that info to the appropriate authorities.

Did they pay attention to the kind of car the would be robbers were driving? Could they recollect what the bums looked like. Maybe the police are already looking for this bunch.

·
Registered
8,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
KimberDen said:
Mitrod,
Your cigar shop acquaintances sound like two fine gentlemen. They could probably hold their own against a couple of armed robbers. The only problem is, they're in a defensive position with respect to any pending robbery and it's a bad spot to be in even if you're a good shot. In my very humble opinion, the smartest thing they could do is install a camera outside of their establishment to get licence plate numbers of those who try to case their business and submit that info to the appropriate authorities. Did they pay attention to the kind of car the would be robbers were driving? Could they recollect what the bums looked like. Maybe the police are already looking for this bunch.
KD:

Like minds seem to travel together. We even talked about the reality of their "position" in the shop in relation to someone coming in rapidly with intent to harm. Camera's are in place front, back and inside. I remember them rattling off the exact make of the car (from simply awareness and observation) but I honestly don't know if they talked with LE about it. I will try to get a handle on that later today as I will have an after work smoke tonight on the way home....shop is just off the road taken home from work.

The manager does appear to have a remarkable memory for faces and names as I am their often enough to have seen him meet a person once and address them by name when they come in again as he did with me on my second visit. He was in sales and management on a number of different levels for years before taking over managment of the cigar shop.

I will follow up tonight to see if they talked with LE about this incident.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
If I were your friends, I'd put some of their IDPA trophies out on display in the shop. Either that, or put a couple of Springfield and Colt bumper/window stickers up around the shop.

·
Premium Member
3,668 Posts
Mitrod:

Sounds like the cigar shop gentlemen are nobody to mess with given their credentials and what they would have immediate access to.

Wondering if they have ever practiced any "store defense drills?" For example, one bad guy comes in with a large garbage bag, announces the stick-up and forces one or both cigar guys to empty the till as well as the most expensive cigars in the humidor. Which cigar guy does what and when?

Or, two bad guys come in, grab one or more customers, hold guns to their heads and demand the loot. Which cigar guy does what and when?

Or, the bad guy(s) grab one of the cigar guys, hold a gun to his head. What does his partner do and when?

Obviously there are a whole bunch of stick up scenarios for your friends to think about. They're obviously well armed, very gun savvy and ahead of the curve compared to the average unarmed store owner. IMHO practicing or at least thinking through a few drills / scenarios could really give them a much bigger advantage over the bad guy(s) if the SHTF. :rock:

·
Registered
8,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Follow Up:

I talked with the guys last night and found out the following:

LEO's from the city and county come in regularly for smokes so both are aware of the situation.

The shop is laid out so that whoever is working the registar can see both the front parking area as well as who is coming in the door. The door is recessed and has a large side window facing into the main area of the store.

They have talked over at least some options if something should happen.

Also, on any given day there are usually two or more customers up front having a smoke and chatting with the manager/workers along with a couple more watching the big screen in the main smoking lounge in back.

A large blow up of Selleck's cover pic on the current main cigar mag will be going up in the lobby.

·
Registered
14,937 Posts
I'd rather French-kiss a DemocRAT than to smoke...anything! JHC! Read your Freud, guys!:)

·
Registered
8,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
WalterGC said:
I'd rather French-kiss a DemocRAT than to smoke...anything! JHC! Read your Freud, guys!:)
I hear ya......and respect that choice for anyone.

My Grandfather smoked one cigar a day and had one shot of whiskey each day until he was in his late 90's. He died at the age of 106, only starting to have medical problems at the age of 103.

My Father smoked a cigar a day for years and drank very moderately. He died in his 80's living 20 more years after the doc gave him a year to live when he was in his 60's. His problem was a work related disease that should have killed him outright in his 60's.

Good genes I guess.

I took a number of years off from both serious shooting and my love of a good cigar. I took up shooting again three years back and renewd my love affair with a good cigar just a few months back. At age 60 I figure something else will take me out long before my cigars will. Heck...with my record I stand a better chance of being gunned down by a newby at the range than going down from my cigars. :hrm:

As to Freud.....that dude was messed up bad. :mummy:

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Monte Cristo no 2 and a loaded 1911. Makes a good picture with a tumbler of iced tea.(no booze around the firearms)
Ill bet those crooks took the vibe that was going on in that place

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
Walter, I think it was Freud who said: "Sometimes a cigar, is just a cigar". But, maybe he was compensating for something there, who knows? :D

Put me in the cigars, boomsticks, and bourbon (or rum!) enthusianado camp also. :cool: (Substitute coffee for the intoxicant beverages whenever appropriate.)

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
mitrod3 said:
No "sheeps" in cigar land.
I had to chuckle when I saw that. I am semi-retired but own 3 cigar/cigarette stores and a whole bunch of guns. The guys I know who own cigars/cigarette stores all pack guns. I think it is a 'rule' in the industry.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Part time during football season I work at a friends cigar store. Gets football off the TV on sundays which my wife loves and I get a rocking discount to boot. My friend tells me he can tell he has been 'cased' about 3 times. One time he was absolutely sure of and the police were just in to warn him about robberies in the area, and the car/driver/passenger matched the description. Guy came in looked around saw a lot of people and left. He called the police after, but they did not find him.
But I agree wholeheartedly on the fact that cigar stores are very well armed. My regular store that I hit during the work week for lunch always has owners/customers carrying. When I work on Sundays I could have 8 people in the store and 11 guns guarding it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts