1911Forum banner
101 - 120 of 154 Posts

·
Registered
4,595 Posts
I gotta say, I enjoy reading all these horror stories you all have had with your garage openers and stuff. Total and uncontroversial evidence that a reliable electronic stuff cannot be made in 21st century. The irony of this being discussed at a home to a gun called by one of most respected handgun experts and trainers as a king of feedway stoppages should not be lost.

I surely hope nobody here ever needs a pacemaker. First, I wish everyone the best of health. Second, I am afraid many here won't be able to handle being dependent on electronic device.

·
Registered
85 Posts
That law is still on the books. Fortunately all the manufacturers told CA to pound sand.
Well it was a Fantasy. The technology for engraving the Firing Pins at the time was insufficient. We Laughed so hard at L.A. Guns when the Mandamus came out.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I gotta say, I enjoy reading all these horror stories you all have had with your garage openers and stuff. Total and uncontroversial evidence that a reliable electronic stuff cannot be made in 21st century. The irony of this being discussed at a home to a gun called by one of most respected handgun experts and trainers as a king of feedway stoppages should not be lost.

I surely hope nobody here ever needs a pacemaker. First, I wish everyone the best of health. Second, I am afraid many here won't be able to handle being dependent on electronic device.
Look at it this way... If there is a Chip or Other electronic devices embedded in the Firearm. Then to make them Inoperable, the Feds, Police, Criminal Element only needs unleash a small EMP and now you have a 1911 or AR-15 Paperweight

·
Registered
273 Posts
It just bothers me that one such little p.... has to come along and break the alliance of all other manufacturers against any of this total BS, microstamp, smart etc, hope he goes where all of them have gone before...

·
Registered
4,595 Posts
Look at it this way... If there is a Chip or Other electronic devices embedded in the Firearm. Then to make them Inoperable, the Feds, Police, Criminal Element only needs unleash a small EMP and now you have a 1911 or AR-15 Paperweight
Just to be certain: if you read through my posts on previous 4 pages on this thread, I am not advocating for mandatory installation of such tech on all guns, thus making us all vulnerable.

To your point
  • if Feds or anyone else blast an EMP bad enough to render smart guns inoperable, I think we will all have bigger problems
  • with about 400 million guns in households in this country, we will run out of people who'd be willing to raise them against oppression before we run out of functional guns.
I

·
Registered
85 Posts
Just to be certain: if you read through my posts on previous 4 pages on this thread, I am not advocating for mandatory installation of such tech on all guns, thus making us all vulnerable.

To your point
  • if Feds or anyone else blast an EMP bad enough to render smart guns inoperable, I think we will all have bigger problems
  • with about 400 million guns in households in this country, we will run out of people who'd be willing to raise them against oppression before we run out of functional guns.
I
Never Implied that... Mine was a comment on all Electronics are subject to disruption by an EMP, rendering them useless unless "Hardened" to Military Specs. A Short Range EMP will decimate any unprotected Electronics... Including those Embedded in Firearms, Automobiles, Radios, Hearing Aids, and Pacemakers. As for the Feds Blasting an EMP... Modern Military Technology already HAS Direction EMP equipment...You actually Think the DOJ and Bidens BATFE won't use it, once they get scared?

·
Registered
14,121 Posts
What is a discussion without a little friendly input from the other side.😂.

Still, not one eager buyer has surfaced…and we’ve now passed 100 posts.

And I’m still looking at my bin filled with electronic devices that no longer work…it’s quite a collection…and it’s very real, not hypothetical…maybe some day a museum might be interested.

I then look at one of my 1911s…and it brings forth a smile and sense of stability and tranquility. All is well in this domain.😊

And despite what any “expert” has said to the contrary, mine run flawlessly…I can only wonder how that ”expert” screwed up so badly with his.🙄. Maybe he’s not such an “expert” after all, since such a humble person as myself, with merely a business background, has no such difficulty in running a 1911 reliably.

·
Registered
273 Posts
YVK: The UK and New Zealand are interesting cases to study. These are the models our henchmen are dreaming about. Then it does not matter that we all have 400 Mio firearms under our (truck) beds. There are some with HUGE amounts of money picking away at 2A. This type of gun is just a legal gimmick to keep those politicians juiced up hard.

·
Premium Member
2,642 Posts
Well if they are going to be selling "Smart" guns for $2200, it better shoot a projectile that locks on to the target and self-corrects midflight and always hits a moving or static target. Know what I mean? :geek:
Gene Simmons (of Kiss fame) is an underrated actor, IMHO...

Sent from my K00C using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Hey that was Tom Selleck. ^^^ I never saw that movie, but I had lunch with him and sold him a holster many years ago.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
A video just for fun. I have a love-hate relationship with technology.
As I write this post, our local internet gun forum is dead-dead-dead.
...So much for reliable internet communications!

Smart Phones meet dumb guns, LOL

·
Registered
14,121 Posts
When the house fills with boos, hisses, and catcalls, the opera is not coming back.

·
Registered
7,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #113 ·
I've never heard a gun owner say "I wish my gun were more complicated" and "I wish that the safety had a safety.".

The people who want to ban guns always say those things. Let's just cut the crap and admit that this is just another disclever attempt to make guns unusable, impractical, ineffective, error prone, cost-prohibitive, and useless?

What we have now works just fine.
Question better asked of the dummy makers who are making this crap.

It's not about a safety on the gun, it's sole purpose is to block unauthorized persons from firing the item. A safety is a "operator" function. Authorization grants or denies permission to be an "operator".

I wonder if criminals would harvest fingers from dead people to get the item to fire to rob a store or something?

Reactions: MtMarine

·
Registered
7,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #114 ·
A video just for fun. I have a love-hate relationship with technology.
As I write this post, our local internet gun forum is dead-dead-dead.
...So much for reliable internet communications!

Smart Phones meet dumb guns, LOL
That's some 'oakland gangster' right there in that vid.

·
Registered
7,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #115 ·

Reliable is not the issue. There's 50 ways to make a pacemaker stop working, from a distance. Just saying.

Pacemakers also fail and the person dies. It happens.

No worries, just like eV's, as long as you keep them charged, and the govt does not turn off your power, the nifty electronic stuff will stay working. LOL.

·
Registered
14,121 Posts
There are multiple issues, all pointing in the same direction…not one Forum member has expressed an intention to buy an electronic “smart gun”.

·
Registered
7,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #117 ·
I wonder, at how many rounds does the electronic stuff start to fail from shock? Does it use any soldered connections, those will corrode. Will it all be waterproof or a drop in river makes the tronics fry?

·
Registered
7,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #118 ·
There are multiple issues, all pointing in the same direction…not one Forum member has expressed an intention to buy an electronic “smart gun”.
That's not the worry. When it's the only type to buy from any maker, is the issue. Gun sales will never stop, and the govt will steer things the way they want it to go.

Hence why the whole showcasing of such stupid technology makes me believe this is being driven and funded by some scrupulous govt people. It's a solution to a made-up problem.

·
Registered
14,121 Posts
That's not the worry. When it's the only type to buy from any maker, is the issue. Gun sales will never stop, and the govt will steer things the way they want it to go.

Hence why the whole showcasing of such stupid technology makes me believe this is being driven and funded by some scrupulous govt people. It's a solution to a made-up problem.
That is the biggest of the multiple reasons. Smart guns can easily be shut down…or, with patience, leftists ban all firearm sales at some future time and wait for the public’s small inventory of ”smart guns” to get old and fail. That could likely be accelerated by banning replacement battery sales. The inventory will be small because no one wants these things.

But the other reasons are relevant too. If these things were any good, people would have been buying them long ago. Timothy Dalton “used” one in his final James Bond appearance…a very long time ago. Despite this “marketing”, no one wanted anything similar.

·
Registered
4,595 Posts
Reliable is not the issue. There's 50 ways to make a pacemaker stop working, from a distance. Just saying.

Pacemakers also fail and the person dies. It happens.
I've been in practice 15 years, and my group manages, conservatively, a few thousand patients with pacemakers. I think in my own clinic I have a couple of hundred. We've seen cases where they malfunctioned or were replaced due to recalls. Fatalities due to malfunctioning devices have been described in literature but are very rare. Much much less frequent than stoppages with handguns.

Now, I have to interrogate a re-program a pacemaker probably once a week. Doing that requires placing a wand on patients chest. I invite you to tell me more about 50 ways to make a device stop working from distance.

Dunno about you but Ive issues with unauthorized use of my property. My house has a lock, so does my car. Bank account has a password, as my do my computers and a cellphone. I would not invest into its development but if smart tech for guns was available, I would definitely evaluate it from standpoint of reliability, potential for hacking or remote control, ease of use, costs, etc etc.

101 - 120 of 154 Posts