1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dose anybody use the Smartcarry holster? If so whats the Pro&Cons?

·
Registered
24 Posts
I've tried it with both my Springfield full size and my Daly MS. I find it unconfortable when worn in the front as it's suposed to be worn. On the side or behind the hip is a little better. I know other who swear by it though. Part of my problem is too much stomach!

·
Registered
322 Posts
I have ThunderWear, which is very similar. It is the *only* carry method I have found so far that I can consistently use every day. With my Kimber Ultra CDP, it is suprisingly comfortable. Although I definitely know it's there, it's a ton better in comfort and versatility than the IWB setup's I've tried. I do wear it in front, but it's as far over to the side as it can be and still be considered in front. Right down the middle tends to encroach into preoccupied space...

Btw, when my brother wanted to try this setup, I talked him into the SmartCarry instead. He got the white "duckcloth" version and loves it, and it looks like it will last longer than the stadard jean-type material. I would highly recommend it.

[This message has been edited by gtf (edited 09-10-2001).]

·
Registered
160 Posts
I carry a Kahr MK40 in a small Smartcarry rig whenever I feel I cannot get away with my standard 1911 IWB mode.

It's a great rig for its intended use.

---

I don't have experience with the Thunderwear version, but my brother-in-law considers it "a great rig for its intended use" too. (They're practically the same rigs, from a user's point of view.)

·
Registered
20 Posts
For those of you who use 1911-patterned guns in Smartcarry or Thunderwear...do you carry cocked and locked? With or w/o ambi safeties? Does it matter?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I've been using a Thunderwear for about a week and love it. Comfy and less noticable than my VM2 or Fobus (which still have their place.) No one has yet noticed I'm carrying while wearing pleated dockers.

I started out carrying "half-cocked" but after reading some threads here about the 1911 being designed to be carried "cocked and locked" I changed my carry method. This evening when I pulled my 3" Kimber out of the Tunderwear, I noticed by ample abs :) had clicked the thumb safety off! I think I'll go back to half-cocked. With practice, the hammer can be cocked while drawing the pistol.

Flame away, but if I'm worried about speed, I'll carry in my VM2 or Fobus and carry cocked and locked, but for every day deep concealment, I'll stay with half-cocked.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts