1911Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a pair of 686's. 3" and 4". L frame , round butt, black adjustable sights, black pinned front ramp, satin stainless.Stamped CS-1. Any ideas what I got?

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
You have bought some highly sought after revolvers. I do not know the details, but if you go to http://smith-wessonforum.com and do a search on CS1 in 1945+ section, you should get all the informationyou need. I imagine you will be kicking your heals up in the air like the old Toyota commercials "O what a feeling".

With kind regards,

Chuck

·
Registered
517 Posts
Customs Service

Two of my friends each have one of these - one 3 inch and one 4. They're the nicest L frames I've ever seen.

IIRC they bought them new in the mid '80's, allegedly "contract over-runs" so the story went. The 4 inch was for uniformed customs officers and the 3 inch for those in mufti.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
You came across 2 of the most worthless revolvers ever made and since today is my birthday you should send me the 3" version & I'll dispose of the most unsightly gun S&W ever made:biglaugh: :biglaugh:.

Ok seriously though let me just say WOW!!. 2 of them at once?! Man, some guys have been searching for these ever since they became available & then seemed to disappear. Run out & buy a lottery ticket right now (actually you probably used up all your good luck coming across 2 like that). 2 years ago I had to pass on a 3" priced at $450 due to other projects in the works, still regret it. Pix would be a real treat for those of us still hoping (espeicailly the 3", possibly the best balanced revolver S&W ever made). SG688 has it right, customs service over-runs. Do they have the wood service grips (small size) or the Pach Compac rubber grips?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts