1911Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like some feedback on the .22cal Smith & Wesson model 41. How good does this rimfire semi-auto shoot? what kind of ammo does it like? If anybody ownes one please, please give me some input on this Model.

Thanks ! Paul

·
Registered
4,882 Posts
Hello. My 41 is an old one that I've had forever. It has the light, proverbial "breaks-like-a-glass-rod" trigger and has proven extremely reliable and very accurate.

I do not compete in formal bullseye matches so I've not experimented with various match grade rounds, but mine shoots better than I can with Federal Gold Medal.

Best.

·
Registered
690 Posts
I've got two Buckmarks but wish I had one model 41. I know two guys that have them and their awesome.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I have had my M41 for about 10 years now. It shoot everything fairly well, but really shines with match ammo, like Eley or Gold Medal. I put more rounds through this gun each year than both my .45's combined. I love it.

The only thing I don't like about it is the magazines are always needing to be reloaded.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've had my 41 since the 70s, used it for .22 pistol competition when I was captain of the company pistol team. It bumped my HiStandard as my favorite pistol for competition. I shot Remington standard velocity rounds in it.

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
I don't shoot bullseye either, but my M41 is a great gun. It is by far my best .22, and will never be sold.

The only drawback was the price, and I got over tha pain the first time I pulled the trigger.

As far as ammo goes, stay away from remington. Everything else seems to shoot fine.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I have a model 41 that I used in intercollegiate competition. It is far more accurate than I am. For matches, I used Eley match ammo.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Nothing to add to what these guys have already said. Owned a Model 52 along with a Model 41 and a Gold Cup all at the same time years ago. Kept the Gold Cup. Wish I had kept the other two along with it.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Model 41 is far and away the best .22 for the money. Mine is bull barrel. Rodents guake with fear at the mention of it's name.

·
Registered
737 Posts
When S&W did their sell out stunt, I got so mad that I sold all of my S&W guns including a M41. It was a very accurate gun that I had only owned for about a year. My M41 had many misfires with cheap 22 ammo of various brands. It shot flawlessly with CCI Minimags. My Buckmark had no misfires with any of the various kinds of ammo. Perhaps the M41 had a minor firing pin problem or something. I'm still mad at S&W. I won't own any of their guns even if they are "pre-agreement". That's just me. Watch-Six

------------------
Get your 1911s and AR15s while you still can!

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Well, you guys have done it to me. Peaked my interest in the S&W M-41. I just sold a Sig-Hammerle Trail Slide. Nice gun, but no history and pretty sterile. Have a beatiful Browning Medalist, unfired in wood case. I admire it once in a while but haven't shot it.
Just bought an early 80's M-41 7" today, 99 per cent gun, from the original owner mainly because of all the rave reviews here. Won't have it for a week or so while we wait for the check to clear and the FFL to arrive etc. I will shoot this one.

I have got to quit reading all of these threads while I still have some assets other than guns! Anyone know if there is a support group out there for us addicts?

·
Registered
206 Posts
The Model 41 is a great gun, but for 1911 fans, there are some .22 Cal. conversion units that are EXTREMELY accurate and give you the benefit of using your 1911 grip and trigger.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I live 15 miles from the S&W factory, and I bought my model 41 used from a gunsmith that works there. Nedless to say, it is the most accurate .22 I have ever owned.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Have a couple of them....very good shooters. If you can find one of the older ones with a comp and barrel weights you'll have a nice collectible piece as well as great shooter.

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
Folks, do not revive threads that have been dead for 4 years. If further discussion is required - PLEASE - start a new thread.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.