1911Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know, I know, it's a S^$^% & W^$^%. I need your opinion/experience with this pistol. I am ready to buy my first 1911 and I would like it to be a "custom shop" piece. Thank you very much!!

[This message has been edited by NewToy45 (edited 10-23-2001).]

·
Registered
229 Posts
Speaking of political cowards . . . the owners of S&W at the time of the agreement were, I believe, British. (Not equating our Brit cousins with cowardice at all, just pointing out the financial stakeholders.) With the new ownership, maybe things will change and S&W will be a bit more stand up in the face of government pressure. The S&W cave-in only magnified the fact that other manufacturers refused to be bullied by the "guns are bad" bunch and prospered in the process.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by MuzzleBlast:
I'm sure they're quite nice, but wouldn't you rather get a nice Les Baer or Bill Wilson piece, and not give money to political cowards?
What full size model Les Baer or Wilson can I get for $1200 (new). That's the going price for the PC 945 right now! Thanks!!

·
Registered
108 Posts
the PC945 is a very nice shooting gun.
Out of the box mine shot about 3 clicks low.
I haven't tested the trigger yet but would guess
it's about 3lb and it's real crisp.
But it does shoot right where you point it.

The only down side is you can only use the PC 945 mags in it.

If I had to compare it to my Valtro I would say the Valtro wins. But that could be because I have about 3k rounds through the Valto and about 150 through the 945.

·
Registered
690 Posts
I've held one but not shot it. However, I would not say they are on par with the better 1911's.

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
If you do a search you can see my past comments on the gun. I have a full size and the 4" model (pre-sellout guns all you flamers!). At any rate I am very impressed with the guns. Very accurate and shootable and very, very reliable. Good lookin too IMO. Mine has Bomars but the new ones have the Wilson clone of the Bomar.

I prefer the black finish to the stainless. Holsters are a bit of a problem (I got a Sparks holster for IDPA).

Also, you should know that they're not a true 1911. Feel a bit wider from frontstrap to rear and don't have a link on the barrel. But they sure run and they're fitted up really nicely. After about 1500 rounds they really smooth out.

·
Registered
69 Posts
All politics aside, the S&W PC45 is an EXCELLENT handgun. I have won the 5" model at each of the last 2 Steel Challenges.

They are well made, accurate and reliable. The people at the Performance Center stand behind them if you ever have any problems.

The pistol does however, feel different from a standard 1911. You will notice a change in grip angle, point, grip size, bore axis height and recoil pattern. Not better or worse, just different.

Bottom line, I like mine.

Shoot steel fast,

Jim

------------------
Jim O'Young
Proud to be sponsored by:
BRILEY PISTOL DIVISION
HOGUE GRIPS

Shoot the STEEL CHALLENGE!

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
I have also handled, but never shot, one of the Smith's. Would love to see a range report on this gun, 1911 or not.

·
Registered
660 Posts
I have shot one , but not extensively. About 100 rounds a couple of years ago. It wasn't bad, but as mentioned above it is not truly like a 1911. It was different, because I was shooting a S&W "knockoff" of a 1911. Something, at the time, I didn't think I would ever do.

I'll say this, if it was lying there and I needed a pistol, I would grab it and use it.

It just woudn't be my first choice.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Originally posted by NewToy45:
What full size model Les Baer or Wilson can I get for $1200 (new). That's the going price for the PC 945 right now! Thanks!!
Yipes, hadn't checked their prices in a while. Both have offerings in the $1400 range. Wilson's KZ comes in under a grand, if you don't mind a plastic frame.
Not to re-open the debate, but until S&W's present owners publicly burn the Clinton Sellout Agreement they aren't getting any of my business, regardless of the fact that W's administration has nullified it from their end. Principle, you know.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Originally posted by NewToy45:
I encourage you to check out CFI ARMS

They had NIB Les Baer PII for $1195 back in January, but I went with PII 1.5" feature. It was the best price in town. If it's not much of trouble, about $200 more will get you a real, good quality Baer 1911.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
NT- I just looked at one in a local gun shop,Green Top Sporting Goods here in Richmond,Va. Since S&W is discontinuing them Green Tops has discounted the price from $1200.00cdown to $975.00 NIB.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Yes, it is a nice gun. Seeing some used for $1100, depending on your delaer's mark-ups. The gun shoots much better than I can ever appreciate for $1100 used. I shall stay with my $550 Springfield, and enjoy my limited ability. The MAIN problem with the 945 is limitation of accessories. The mags are 945 specific; 4506 mags do not work. At $35-40 per mag...you know. Also, the beautiful to look, but horrilby impractical FRONT fish-scale serrations will destroy any holster you buy. It is a huge grater that can be used for carrots, celery, cheese, and radishes for salads. I hate the fad of front serrations already (The Springfield and Colts are sharp and bad, but are nothing like the SW 945 on holsters). The 945 took it way too far. The 945 is not a carry gun with all the do-dads and probles with holsters. It is a competition gun to be carried in a box to the range. But then again, at $1100 used, it is possible to get a Wilson or even a Les Baer used and still be able to carry it in regular holsters, and get reasonably priced aftermarket magazines. I love my 4506, 4516, and 1086 S&W pistols. I do not get match accuracy, but they always feed everything, and I can depend on 2 inch groups with a flyer from 15-30 feet rapid fire.

·
Registered
21,734 Posts
CQB1
PC 945 discontinued?
Blowing out at $975?
Hmmmm.
Wish I were there. I'll be looking around.

Gunz
All those aftermarket 1911 magazines are part of the problem, not the solution. This forum has a separate section on magazines, just full of people trying to find mags that will work in this or that 1911.
You see it in your own guns;
S&W gun + S&W mag = reliable operation.
I wish we could say the same about Colt, Kimber, and even Wilson.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts