1911Forum banner

61 - 80 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
I typed up the above post around 5:30 but forgot to post it. LOL Anyway, just got in from shooting about 38 more rounds through it and it ran fine. Just as good as it did with the spring in backwards. I'll run it some more this weekend but sofar, great!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Well I'll add my thoughts on the 3" Pro Series gun...

I bought one to replace my EDC gun, a S&W M&P 40c...

I love it, the only problem is,,, I found one of the new E-Series Commander size guns that fit my Bear Paws better than the 3" Pro Series gun... So it is no longer my EDC gun... :D :D :D

On both guns I added XS Big Dot sights and CT Laser grips...

I love both guns...

I did change to Wilson Combat ETM magazines though http://www.gregcotellc.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=150&products_id=1120...

I was having the nose dive problem on my commander with the ACT mags that I had bought... I then started having the same thing happen with the Officer 3" gun...

I had bought the 8 round ACT mags and added the X-Grip magazine adapters http://www.gregcotellc.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=142&products_id=974 to them to work in the officer size gun, but as I said I started having trouble with those nose diving...

I changed to Wilson Combat magazines that I had from another gun and the new ETM ones I bought, I now have not had any problems...

I also found that the X-Grip adapters will work with the Wilson magazines, I had to trim a little bit off of the front plastic part of the grip panel 1st, after that they slide in fine... X-Grip says that they will only work with ACT or Mec-Gar magazines, but I proved that wrong, you just need to modify the Wilson Combat mags a little...

You will se that I gave Greg Cote's website... I have had real good luck with him and dealing with him is real easy... I have found his prices are even cheaper than my dealer pricing at Midway and Brownells...

http://www.gregcotellc.com/cart/

I have added Wilson Combat Bullet Proof Safety's to the guns also, these safety's are amazing and they work real good...

http://shopwilsoncombat.com/Ambidextrous-Thumb-Safety-Tactical-Levers-Bullet-Proof-Blue/productinfo/192BBP/

I have added a few photo's so you can see what the CT Grips look like, I love them...

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm back with an update;
I took my pistol to the range a few weeks ago, and put 150 rounds through it. No problems. My wife fired it about 30 times, she too likes it. She might take it over and force me to get another piece...lol.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Those are really nice!
Thanks, I have updated the Officer 1911...

My CT laser went bad, I returned it to Crimson Trace and they replaced it at no charge...

Trouble is I feel in love with the wood CT so I bought one of those for it ( I will be selling my new/old one ).

The shot also shows the Wilson Combat Bullet Proof Ambi Safety ( I love it )...

-Bullet-Proof-Blue/192BBP/

Here's a shot of the gun with the new CT on it...

Attachments

·
Registered
102 Posts
Just picked mine up. Off to the range, well tomorrow. It will be my ccw just waiting on my Theis Holster.

·
Premium Member
3,129 Posts
That's a fine looking weapon Cfl. Be sure to let us know how she shoots.

And those beautiful, unusually figured grips...yum!

Rick

·
Registered
102 Posts
I love this little gun. Here's a target from today. Lower group from 10 yards 5 rounds top group 5 rounds 2 together 3 low under first group. Straight out of the range bag.

·
Registered
33 Posts
If you notice the avatar I also have a Lou Horton 3" I also have a E SC round but I have run Chip McCormick and Wilson and had problems with both the ACP's run fine. One of these days I will try some of the Tripp's I have heard good things about them. Both of mine will pitch a brass at my forehead every 2nd or 3rd mag. but that has almost stopped now so the ejector is getting wore in better now. I love the 3" it is more accurate than the Sc. I got a Girsan 5" to play with it is as accurate as the 3" and takes any mag. Of course I walk lop-sided when I carry it. I m not to large so I prefer small guns. I hate to say it but I got a Glock 30s and it is the most accurate gun I have. I put an external safety on it and carry it a lot. However I still love my 3".

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Heinie straight 8's are awesome. I put them on my carry gun as well. Highly recommend it. This is what my sight picture looks like.

Night sights? Glow in the dark?

If so, I might get those. The "dot the i" types are like what's on my Kahr....I've carried a Kahr since 2003 so it would be familiar.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Mag info

Could you please provide the model, SKU, item number; whatever you may refer to it as, for the mags you ordered from Tripp? Much thanks

·
Registered
921 Posts
Have now passed 3500 rounds in only a few months of ownership without a failure. Have been a 1911 fan since the early 1960s and can almost disassemble / assemble in my sleep. A quality product I've learned to trust. A bit more expensive than some, but worth the investment.

·
Banned
105 Posts
I bought one of these pistols last week. At first, things looked rather uncertain with the slide failing to return to battery on the last round. Checked the recoil spring and it was in the wrong way, switched it around and now it runs fine. With ball ammunition.

This week will be the test with HP and whatever other dregs of boxes I can find to throw into it, but I am as pleased with the little 1911 as I am reassured about modern Smith & Wesson products. Now to get some new magazines to replace those ones with the dreadful bumper pad and some nicer grips, and I'll be set.

·
Banned
105 Posts
I wanted to also report about the service life of that flat wire recoil spring. I made a call to Smith & Wesson, and the technician there said the springs had a suggested life of 7500 rounds.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I spoke with customer service and was told there is no recommended service interval for the recoil spring replacement. Maybe start thinking about it at 10,000 rounds.

·
Premium Member
1,603 Posts
Great thread, I have been looking at the 3" pro for any everyday carry (currently Wilson professional), had a kimber ultra (not impressed).

I really like the weight of the pro but the 3" 1911s don't have the best track record.

I have been following the S&W Pro 3" and Sigs Ultra, still trying to decide.

61 - 80 of 91 Posts