1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this is just kinda a goofy thought but as i was outside my shop smoking a cigar i was looking in at my reloading bench and thinking how every manual ive read states do not smoke when reloading,well duh,but heres my thought the reloader s ive spoken to seem relatively intelligent as we all seem to be detail oriented and mechanically inclined,we've also invested alot of time and money into our hobby, so has anybody heard or know of personally anyone whos been havin a smoke while makin up some 45s and...well kablooeee,or is this just another product of lawyers:scratch:

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
I don’t know about all the other gun, hunt or handload nazi’s out there, but I
partake in the pleasures of the “John” Daniel’s and my beloved Camel straights only when I indulge in this Internet foolishness or some other such nonsense like watching the Super Bowl.

I wear the white hat in the handload room and keep it on the straight and narrow.

I can only imagine what it would be like being two or three “fingers” full of the single barrel and mistaking a container of 7828 for an ashtray.
Would probably ruin more than my day.

I can not see smoking and or imbibing before or during Handloading.

Pardon me for a second…(pause)…Ahhh! Had to have sip of the John D and light a Camel
The Lawyer aspect would be the least of my concerns.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Damn Gerk...
That pic made me awful thirsty....and I'm stuck in Bucksville, AL (brokedown)

It sure looks tasty though.

I sure as heck ain't going to smoke in the same room as gunpowder....that just might get a fellow nominated for the "Darwin Awards".

·
Registered
15,319 Posts
all blowed up -guilty

I cannot begin to guess how many cops opened their boxes of ammo only to find ciggy ashes inside......

LOL

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
WESHOOT’S, say it isn’t Sodie!……

·
Registered
48 Posts
Well I stopped smoking 7 months ago but I use to smoke while reloading.. I did always make sure I did not have one lit while opening and pouring powder. Once it was in the hopper I had no concerns.. Thinking back it was stupid.. I guess I got lucky for a lot of years.

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Damn Gerk...
That pic made me awful thirsty....and I'm stuck in Bucksville, AL (brokedown)

It sure looks tasty though.

I sure as heck ain't going to smoke in the same room as gunpowder....that just might get a fellow nominated for the "Darwin Awards".
10-4
Broke down in some Bustwood USA….
Reminds me of my days as a “Transportation Engineer”

Lost the water pump on my big cam 400 Cummins motor.
I had to rent a tractor from Penske to finish a job.
It was a Freightliner with a big two stroke Detroit in it.
Man was I happy to get my nice quiet Pete back, that Detroit motor wound up and screamed at me for a thousand miles.
Had to keep the Blue Cheer and Hendrix cranked up all the way just to keep my sanity.
Well I’m 10-10, sorry your 10-7 I’ll be 10-23 with some John “D”

·
Registered
588 Posts
I'm a cigar smoker too, and I've had the same thoughts.

As long as you're not drinking and smoking, it's possible you could be careful enough. One the powder is in the tube, about the worst that could happen would be to ignite one cartridge worth. When it's time, you can just put the cigar down, reload the powder hopper, pick it back up, what's the risk?

That said, I don't. It just seems like tempting fate to me to do it. It never fails that when you have every failure mode analyzed, another crops up to bite you that you didn't consider. I can just see some floating hot ash wandering over into the top of the powder can I forgot to put the lid on.

If you could do everything just right every time, no problem. One mistake though, and you are in deep weeds. It reminds me of a quote I read recently that said something to the effect of "manned space flight is not especially dangerous, but it is extremely unforgiving of human error".

Your original post didn't mention drinking, but the responses did bring the subject up. From painfull personal experience, alcohol and guns don't mix under any circumstances. I suppose the same applies to loading.

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
Well I stopped smoking 7 months ago but I use to smoke while reloading.. I did always make sure I did not have one lit while opening and pouring powder. Once it was in the hopper I had no concerns.. Thinking back it was stupid.. I guess I got lucky for a lot of years.
I smoked for 19 years. Will have been quit 21 years on April 25 at 12:15 PM.
I was always amazed how people thought a cigarette was going to spontaneously ignite the world. The only thing I ever saw that cigarettes would light reliably was Kleenex tissue. And cherry bomb fuses.

Cigarettes do sometimes spark. So I suggest never smoking around open
powder or primers. Once they are loaded up inside a loader, I wouldn't
worry about it. I don't think you were stupid, Mike. That said, I don't
recommend it. Why take any chance?

Joe

·
Registered
518 Posts
It has happened- here's proof

I remembered a local newspaper article of a 19 year old man who was injured disposing of gunpowder while smoking a cigarette.

http://www.unionleader.com/

Search news archives, the date of the article is August 28, 1998. The title of the article is: Gunpowder, Cigarette Touch Off Explosion.

·
Registered
15,319 Posts
True Confessions

WESHOOT’S, say it isn’t Sodie!……

Sadly true.
Funny, though, if you saw the face of the cop(s) with cigarette ashes in his box LOL.

But, now down to cigars.....and NO MORE SMOKING inside.

(Gave up booze in '87; had used up my share).

MY ONLY boo-boo (BOOM?) was when I was making some 44 Magnum ammo and my then-15 yr old daughter came into the shop, distracting me from the over-charge alarm.
LOL
Ruger service was great.

My shop rules when loading are: No distraction; no music, discussion, company.
If folks visit and want to chat work stops.
Otherwise, I load alone.

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Sadly true.
Funny, though, if you saw the face of the cop(s) with cigarette ashes in his box LOL.
Yea, I LOL when you posted it

I’ve noticed in the last ten years or so these bottles seem to last longer and longer.
I may not have many “shares” left myself.

MY ONLY boo-boo (BOOM?) was when I was making some 44 Magnum ammo and my then-15 yr old daughter came into the shop, distracting me from the over-charge alarm.
LOL
Ruger service was great.
LOL, Ruger service is great, it’s better when you don’t need it. Better when you just want it.

Otherwise, I load alone.
I use the Rules same same. Also use think twice, load once rule. Has helped me from needing Ruger service on more than one occasion.
:)

·
Registered
836 Posts
"A man's got to know his limitations" Clint Eastwood

I've smoked, tipped an Evan William's single barrel, and reloaded 45's simultaneously. No bad ju ju to speak of. But then again, I still ride a 1000 cc Honda Sportbike at 52, prefer my Corvette over a SUV, prefer my 10mm Elites over 45 cal, and still hike mountains as exercise. As you can tell, I'm not all there, never have been, for that matter!

I've quit smoking now for 9 months......................and I gave up drinking and reloading...............WET POWDER SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

John:biglaugh:

·
Registered
15,319 Posts
learned mine the harder ways.....

Not mature enough to get another donorcycle.

Decrepit, based on youthful excesses, but I (think I) look marvelous.

Surgeon and I discussed yesterday potential for MORE strong-arm elbow surgery.

But I'd like a 'Vette (except not enough ground clearance to make it down my road, 'cause it's dirt).

I am happy to be alive; life is grand.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Sadly true.

LOL
Ruger service was great.

Otherwise, I load alone.
My only companion while loading is my lab, he wont let me out of his sight while I'm home.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Not mature enough to get another donorcycle.

Decrepit, based on youthful excesses, but I (think I) look marvelous.

Surgeon and I discussed yesterday potential for MORE strong-arm elbow surgery.

But I'd like a 'Vette (except not enough ground clearance to make it down my road, 'cause it's dirt).

I am happy to be alive; life is grand.
Ha, ha, Buy the CORVETTE! I travel down a mile of gravel every day to get in and out of my house! But, I can shoot ANYTHING I WANT! Which is PRICELESS! Soap and water cleans Corvettes, and if I need to, I just put the grader blade on the Kubota once a month and eliminate the potholes! Life is too short to deny yourself even the smallest of pleasures, ask any dead guy!

John

·
Registered
15,319 Posts
not MY road

Wife once did $800 worth of undercarriage damage on a 4x4 Ford van comin' down our road; does 'mud season' have any meaning to you? (didn't to me until I moved to Vermont).

My cars say "Subaru"........LOL

·
Registered
14,937 Posts
this is just kinda a goofy thought but as i was outside my shop smoking a cigar i was looking in at my reloading bench and thinking how every manual ive read states do not smoke when reloading,well duh,but heres my thought the reloader s ive spoken to seem relatively intelligent as we all seem to be detail oriented and mechanically inclined,we've also invested alot of time and money into our hobby, so has anybody heard or know of personally anyone whos been havin a smoke while makin up some 45s and...well kablooeee,or is this just another product of lawyers:scratch:
I think you're making false assumptions about the reason for the "no-smoking" caveat in the reloading manuals. Smokers, of course, are addicts, and the powder manufacturers wisely warn that addicts should not engage in reloading. :) I'd worry a lot more about the fact that I was a smoker than I would about any dangers related to the powder's blowing up.:biglaugh:

·
Registered
836 Posts
Wife once did $800 worth of undercarriage damage on a 4x4 Ford van comin' down our road; does 'mud season' have any meaning to you? (didn't to me until I moved to Vermont).

My cars say "Subaru"........LOL

Yep,
Ironically, I'm in mud season RIGHT NOW!!!! In VA, the thaw starts now, skunks are out of hibernation, and the world is waking up. My Mustang and Corvette are in sleep mode for a couple more weeks. Our 4X4 Escape looks like a mud bogger! I know your plight, I'm a former New Englander myself, NEVER AGAIN! I like my 1 1/2 months of winter, and the fact that snow goes away completely in 2 days!

John:biglaugh:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts