1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking towards getting some new grips for my SA Compact. Since this is a CCW pistol, and rides against my skin, I'm looking at getting some smooth grips, as the factory checkered grips are rough on bare skin. Maybe it's just the checkering on the factory wood, but the checkering seems fairly sharp.

Has anybody noticed less control/grip of a pistol with the smooth panel grips? Being a bit smaller and lighter than standard, it is a little more jumpy.

In addition, the grips I get will probably be thin grips as well, which will probably compound the jumpiness of the pistol.

The vertical ribbing on the pickagrips.com grips look intriguing. I'd think they'd at least offer a little more gription than plain smooth sides.

I suppose another possibility is to have the right side checkered and the left side smooth. Would just need a grip maker to accomidate me on that.

Ideas?

·
Premium Member
20,302 Posts
First of all, I always wear an undershirt of some sort between me and the pistol. Even with smooth grips, you'll find it more comfortable. Many guys will tell you that your grip is provided by the MSH and the front strap. I've compared smooth and checkered on the same guns and still prefer checkering. I'd suggest you check out the link to AlumaGrips above. With the way they're machined, the tops of the checkering are not sharp, but still provide wonderful tackiness without snagging on clothing or abrading your side too much. They also offer a "Tactical" version that's not on their website yet. They're a combination that might prove more comfortable. Here's a shot of them on a Wilson.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My only complaint with the alumagrips is that they don't have a cocobolo wood patteren that I've been pretty heart-set on. The look of the cocobolo against the blued pistol is just excellent in my eye.

·
Registered
27,704 Posts
I shoot smooth grips as well as checkered. I prefer them. However, you do need a checkered mainspring housing and frontstrap. Serrated works good as well as skateboard tape. I seem to grip the pistol front and back and not nearly as much on the grips.

·
Registered
497 Posts
i prefer smooth for carry. i don't notice a significant decrease in grip, meaning i can still shoot well with them. they are definitely worth it since most of the time the gun sits in my holster not chafing my skin.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Smooth grips excel for CCW, though you'll want some sort of friction-enhancing treatment (eg, checkering) on the frontstrap and MS housing, which are the areas where most grip pressure is exerted.

·
Premium Member
492 Posts
Alot has to do with the lines per inch of the checkering. 16 lpi is very aggressive, you find it on plastic milspec type grips and I used to do all mine in 16 lpi because it was easiest and I was just learning. Hogue does theirs in 20 lpi which is much less aggressive with miniscule diamonds that would probably carry fine against bare skin for alot of folks. I currently do 18 lpi because it gives good grip, looks fine and precise, and that's about as hard as I wanna strain my eyes to see the checkering process. I've done half-depth checkering which is even easier on bare skin (sorta like Alumagrips checkering...the diamonds don't come all the way to a point).

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
I really like smooth grips and find no decrease in grip with them. But that's with 20LPI checkering on the front strap and MS housing.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I don't carry so I can't comment on that. Where checkered grips make a significant contribution to control, for me, is not on the strong hand side, but on the weak hand side. Placing the heel of my weak hand on all that exposed grip area. I had some absolutely beautiful smooth Hogue's on a gun, but I could feel the grip panel slide on my weak hand, and I put some second shots high on some double taps.

So, according to my theories, and unfortunately for carry, it's weak side checkering that's important. Besides not having warmed to the appearance of "tactical" grips (the Ahrends, and now apparently the Alumagrips), I feel that the half checkering would be more usefully placed on the upper half instead of the lower.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Have you thought of putting a checkered grip on the right side ad a smooth on the left, assuming a right hand shooter. Best of both worlds smooth o the lovehandles and textured in the strong side hand??

·
Registered
244 Posts
SockPuppet said:
Stealther, those are purty! Who did 'em?
The grips are Spegel and the pistol is Yost. No grip problems at all with this setup for me at least. :)

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
Stealther, how's your Yost Delta shootin'? Mine is doing pretty good, even if it isn't as fancy as yours is. :p

My grips are the Micarta ones that BCP used to carry. They were available with the checkering "toned down," which makes the grips alot more comfy if they are against your skin.

I'm tempted to try some of the smooth wood grips out there, if only because they are so darn purty. :D

·
Registered
60 Posts
If you're uneasy about going w/ smooth grips just start wearing wifebeaters under your shirt... I keep checkered wood grips as close to my body as i can and never have any discomfort.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I have a set of Ajax Ivory Polymer and I didn't affect my grip of the gun. Mine has griptape on the fronstrap.
Here is the review.

·
Registered
645 Posts
For CCW is like my Smooth Ivory grips. Feels better against my skin if I am only wearing a T-shirt. If I am going to use my carry gun for IDPA I switch to checkered AlumaGrips.

MadDog :D

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts