1911Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello! good day again everyone. how do you smoothen the sliding movement of a 1911? when i rack my gun, i can hear a gritty sound (like the one you hear when there is rough metal to metal contact). what part of my gun shall i polish? i tried lubricating it, but still there is that friction.

thanks a million!:cool:

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Some folks lap the frame and slide, others stone down the more visible asperities. I just shoot mine with a high-quality lube. You'll see the movement get smoother and smoother.

·
Registered
250 Posts
you didn't say if it is new or not, but when i get a new one, i mix a little jewelers rouge in with the grease for the first few sessions. smooths it out a bit.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Check the bottom of the slide

My Kimber TLE felt gritty like you described when I worked the slide. I noticed that during manufacturing the serial number is scribed on the bottom of the slide with one of those vibrating pens. It is in the area where the disconnector rides when the slide cycles. I stoned it just a little and it got rid of most of the gritty feeling. YMMV

·
Registered
554 Posts
Slurry

There's a poster on THR that goes by 1911Tuner who talked about a slurry made from CLP and JB Bore Paste which is used for polishing a pistol's internals at your workbench ... read it here It's a good read.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Now that I think about it, this may be a good way to break-in my CQB. "All it does is polish the high spots." Hmmm Use the ammo more constructively than just upping the round count on the pistol...

·
Registered
623 Posts
have you dissassembled the gun to see if you can find a defect or a large burr etc.??????? i would strip it down and inspect the parts first. there may be gouge in something, or a piece of metal or shaving thereof grinding back and forth in your gun.
if that doesnt work then you can go to stoning and or filing. then finish up with a lapping compound. take it easy, just a little, then try it again.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Take your thumb nail and drag it down the guide rod.....I'll bet you'll feel very fine "feed lines" take some very, very fine sand paper and gently work your way all around and down the rod then use some scotch brite to clean it up.
I did this to my Springfield and it made a huge difference.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Don't do anything to it. My RIA was the same way when it was new. Really rough and gritty. After a few thousand rounds, its slick as glass.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts