1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently shooting Federal® Truball™ Rifled Slugs out of my 870. I am happy with the accuratecy. I tend to stick with what works. The only trouble one never learns anything new like that. :biglaugh:

Anyone have another slug to suggest?

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
I like Red Box Federal (Vital-Shok), Wolf, Blue box Federal (Power-Shok), Winchester, in that order.

·
Super Moderator
7,806 Posts
B&P slugs. One ounce around 1200 fps. Most accurate slug out there and half the price of most others at around .50 a shot.

·
Registered
624 Posts
I recently tried some of the Winchester Super X 2-3/4 slugs in my Benelli M1 with a 22" barrel. It was pretty easy to hit a coyote silhouette target at 200 yards with them.

·
Registered
5,176 Posts
My uncle told me many years ago to use the brenneke rifled slugs in the smooth bore barrels because they were the most accurate at the time. I believe i purchased them from sportsmans guide a while back.

I also tried the remington rifled shotgun sabots in my smooth bore too and found them to be accurate too. (50yds) I have an old model 12 winchester pump with a smooth bore slug barrel.

·
Super Moderator
7,806 Posts
My uncle told me many years ago to use the brenneke rifled slugs in the smooth bore barrels because they were the most accurate at the time.
Brenneke are very accurate and the recoil isnt too bad. But they can be hard to find and are pretty expensive.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
My smoothbore 20" 870 is my home defense gun. I find I get fine results from cheapo Remington Sluggers rifled slugs(approx 15rds for $9). Good enough for me anyway as they are one of my go-to home defense rounds. I can make a cloverleaf at 50yds with iron sights. Works fine for deer back in the woods and I wouldn't hesitate to try one out to 80-100yds. The sights and my eyes start to get out of whack long before the gun gives up.

This setup is pretty dang handy as far as an all-around home/self/truck defense gun. Iron sights and a mag extension giving me 7+1 of 2&3/4" buck/slugs is quite formidable I'd like to think.

·
Registered
5,176 Posts
Brenneke are very accurate and the recoil isnt too bad. But they can be hard to find and are pretty expensive.
If I remember correctly these also have a whistle from them comming thru the woods after you shoot them.

I watch sportsmans guide for sales all the time on ammo. These were cheap like $59 for many rounds. I did purchased two orders of these slugs. I need some "00" next.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts