1911Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how do they compare?

is the snakeskin more ruff or harder on your hands then 20LPI or

ive heard it has good grip but is it "sharp"?

·
Registered
442 Posts
Snakeskin

The snakeskin is a great treatment with none of the downsides of checkering as far as being rough to the touch or snagging clothes when concealed. Nothing sharp about it.

I have a HP that I'm going to see if it can be applied too, as the HP's have such a thin front strap they don't do well when checkered.

Hardball1911

·
Premium Member
20,368 Posts
One of the neatest thing about snakeskin is it grips "one-way". There is a noticeable difference when felt up or down. Gives great friction without being abrasive. I love it!

·
Registered
541 Posts
I had an LS9 with the snakeskin and it was the best type of treatment I've ever felt,including the "wave"

·
Registered
100 Posts
A welcomed positive grip with little or no ruffness to your hand. Wish I had it on all my guns.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Iorndealer said:
A welcomed positive grip with little or no ruffness to your hand. Wish I had it on all my guns.
I totally agree with the above statement, my SS Kobra Carry spoiled me so I ordered a bobtail jig and a couple of snakeskin mainsprings housings for my LW framed Colts. I haven't figured out how to cut the snakeskin on the front strap. I believe the snakeskin will exceed the durability of checkering on alloy frames.........................Larry

·
Premium Member
20,368 Posts
Larry...When you master the frontstraps, I'll have a bunch more for you to do!

·
Registered
84 Posts
AZ,
You know the saying about not holding your breath? Then again this is my final year in office due to term limits so I may need to find real work!
Larry

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
I agree with all the above, and include the aspect of keeping it clean and rust free. Much easier to keep clean, and easier to apply preservative. Checkering tends to accumulate grit, which then provides a place for moisture to gather. The grit also keeps the preservative from reaching all the nooks and crannies. No English Muffin jokes, please. ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts