1911Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw a shot on a thread here of a home made cap. Good idea.

I have used homemade ones too. Instead of using an eraser my buds and I have found using silicone sealer like you use for the bath tub works great.

Simply deprime the round, seat bullet--prime and paint it some obnoxious color say neon purple so you know what it is., fill the primers pocket with seal; let dry wa la snap cap. I'd suggest painting the enitre psuedo cartridge for ID purposes.

·
Premium Member
3,282 Posts
yeah, or perhaps drill holes through the sides? As far as I can tell there are some calibers that snap caps are not available in, .30 Luger for one.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I saw a shot on a thread here of a home made cap. Good idea.

I have used homemade ones too. Instead of using an eraser my buds and I have found using silicone sealer like you use for the bath tub works great.

Simply deprime the round, seat bullet--prime and paint it some obnoxious color say neon purple so you know what it is., fill the primers pocket with seal; let dry wa la snap cap. I'd suggest painting the enitre psuedo cartridge for ID purposes.
I found the silicon sealer way too soft, abnranger -- it's rendered useless after a few encounters with the firing pin. A harder plastic is the way to go, and I'm sure most forum members have an ample supply of various density plastic to experiment with laying around the workshop or garage. With a little work, you'll find something that works...

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
seems some folks don't like um because they are easily confused with the real deal...never thought of drilling the holes...great idea

·
Administrator
13,318 Posts

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
They deform quickly and become ineffective . If you're just using them as action dummies and not for dry firing they're fine. The Lyman Azoom brand have proven to be long lasting . They claim 3000 dry fires . http://www.lymanproducts.com/azoom/index.htm
guy sajer, pretty much nailed it, but I have never even gotten close to the numbers AZoom claims. Unless I make my own, which I do, the AZoom seem about the best, although I tear the heck out of them and the aluminum rims get pretty beat up after a few months of training. To be fair, we work them hard. Their materials for the primer pocket is better than most, but they also get pierced after several hundred firings, IMO...

The plastic snap-caps with springs - forgettabouit...they are really bad and never make it past a few weeks of hard use with me and/or my students.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I've never tried making my own snap caps - I ought to correct that this weekend.

·
Registered
361 Posts
A 5 Pack of Snap Caps cost $12.00 - $13.00 and they last a long time. I dunno, but I think I'll just buy them! :p

But then again, I don't put near the level of wear on them as others.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts