1911Forum banner
21 - 40 of 73 Posts
Consider a Dawson TL model, noted in post #8. They work nicely.

I think it all depends on what you are used to or what you started with.
As a life long 1911/2011 fan, I tend to prefer uncaptured guide rods. Even in Glocks.

Dawson Precision kinda, sorta, does offer a captured recoil spring system. For bull barrel pistols, anyway. One issue is that they're rather spendy, at least the first time around.

Dawson Tool-less Guide Rod
Dawson makes one for bushing barrels also. I had one in my STI Trojan, it was very similar to the one in my current Staccato P. I ended up trading the Trojan + cash for the Staccato. Personally, I like them, no “L” bent paper clips to worry about. But, I’ll leave the GI setup in my classic 1911s.

Doesn't Glock offer separate springs and guide rods, not RSA's, to fine tune competition guns?
Dunno if Glock does but there are aftermarket ones for sure.
At the same there are several options for RSAs that either come with reduced power springs or allow to change a captured spring to a user's preference. When I gamed with Glocks, I used a captured reduced power RSA. It makes things simpler, at least on modern designs.

ever notice how top end Glocks are built in attempts to emulate a 1911?

1911’s haven’t been built to emulate being a Glock because they don’t need to…

I've played around with those captured designs in Kimber's.

I'll take a GI guide rod and plug any day. I find the standard GI setup easier to field strip.
Me too. Never felt a burning desire for any Glock-ish features to be added to the 1911 design. The original system is perfectly satisfactory.

This isn't difficult. If I want a pistol with different features than those of a 1911 then I won't choose a 1911.

👍👍👍

I have been wanting to post the exact same observation for years, but, didn't, feeling I was the only one that realized it!!! And, not just Glock, going 1911, either!

BTW,... have you noticed how H&K grips have been going to the Hi Point dark side, in the past couple years? :unsure:

At the end of the day which one feels lighter?!?!?!?!??!?!?!? In both the Coso's and the Sierras I've carried both and at the end of the day........

I own a G17 since it's my service weapon at work. Off-hours gotta' practice!

Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel Machine gun

I consider these top end Glocks. Ergos modified to user's preferences, optic enabled with backup irons, stock guts to maintain robustness and reliability. What 1911 do they emulate?

Reactions: tjkoko
They do . Dawsom makes the tooless thing mentioned earlier but STI (now through Dawson) make captured set ups for several size 1911's and 2011's. Here is the 5".

Reactions: tgt_usa
The further you deviate from John Browning's original design the more you alienate the hardcore among 1911 aficionados. There are a lot of design elements that can be improved in 1911s, but few that were implemented ever sold really well.
The WC "EDC X9" has several such. Some might have been beyond the technology of early 20th century. Some fiscally unrewarding, so feasible only in a handgun with low sales / high margin: not often done then I believe. And some too 1st-world in nature as to have only resulted in expressions of distaste:

Who cares about scratching the frame? Fit the slide-stop better if you do care.

Having grown unto the 1st world, I appreciate those features.

Dawson makes one for bushing barrels also. I had one in my STI Trojan, it was very similar to the one in my current Staccato P. I ended up trading the Trojan + cash for the Staccato. Personally, I like them, no “L” bent paper clips to worry about. But, I’ll leave the GI setup in my classic 1911s.

Hmm. Doesn’t seem like they have one for a Commander size.

21 - 40 of 73 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.