1911Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And I got to shoot it today. FLAWLESS! It fed S&B, Winchester value pack, and 31 Rounds of Federal Hydra-shok flawlessly, and all in the Kimber stock mag.

It shoots about 1.5" low and left even on sandbags, but the Hydra-shock only shoots about 1" left.

I fed about 200 total rounds... Here's my question...

I was so worried that it would have trouble feeding, but it did not.. at all... UNTIL i loaded 8 (leftover i had set aside) hydrashoks, and loaded the gun... the first round would not feed, even with several re-rackings. I put a different bullet in and tried again, and it worked...

Am I being unsafe carrying this gun too soon? The gun didn't FTE or FTF during the 200 rounds, and it IS used, so its "probably" broken in. I was thinking that there wouldn't be a problem since the gun is now dirty, and that it feeds fine when shooting, since the only problem was when i *might have* done something funny during cocking. Opinions are appreciated.

P.S. I'm used to glocks and that system... should i rap on the back of the 1911 magazine to ensure all the bullets are seated toward the rear of the magazine?

·
Registered
137 Posts
I had the same problem with my Eclipse and factory mags loading 7+1. I was using Gold Dots.

I replaced the springs with a Kit form Wolf and swiched to new Megcar mags (my gun was used also) and didn't have a problem after that. <disclamer> Only tried it twice at the range, I don't normaly cary 7+1.

As a note one of my factory mags I can actualy load 8 into it, and it will feed, but choaks on the next round, goofy hu?

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
my concern is that i was shooting 7+1, even 8+1 in it all day, and no issues.
But then when i racked the slide to load a hydrashok at the end of the day, it got hung up.

Am i being too concerned, or should i not carry this gun?

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
FWIW, it seems that a lot of folks have problems with Kimber factory mags. I have a TLE/RL II that didn't do well with the factory mag. However, it runs fine with Chip McCormick mags. I prefer to only load the mag with seven rounds even if it is an eight rounder. This also seems to reduce the chance of problems. The great likelihood is that your gun is fine, and that it is a magazine problem. Magazine problems are not uncommon with 1911's, but are usually easily remedied once you find the right model magazine for your particular pistol. The 1911 is a great pistol- arguably the best. However, unlike with Glocks, there are many 1911 mag manufacturers. Some work better than others in particular guns. The 1911 was originally designed for use with the military hardball cartridige, as were its magazines. With the modern use of different types of ammo, changes to the original magazine design were necessary.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
On that note, since i have about 30 minutes experience with 1911's... would YOU all trust a gun that went that many rounds without a single problem, then got hung up on a hollowpoint when the slide was racked.

COULD it be user error, or does the mechanics prevent that?

·
Registered
137 Posts
I was so worried that it would have trouble feeding, but it did not.. at all... UNTIL i loaded 8 (leftover i had set aside) hydrashoks
my concern is that i was shooting 7+1, even 8+1 in it all day, and no issues.
Oh ok from your first statment I got the impression it shot great all day Until you did a one and only 7+1, wich is prity common with a 50 round box....

Can't help ya then sorry :D

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think generally, my question is "how many failures out of (x) is generally regarded as *acceptable* for a carry gun?"

Out of all the shots today, it only failed once. This occurred when i was racking the slide, and the gun was very dirty at the end of the day.

Throughout the day, i tried halfloading the mag, loading it all the way (8), doing 8+1, 7+1 (which was pretty much just 8 in the mag, then shoot it), and trying just two to simulate the end of the mag. It didn't fail. ONLY when I was racking the slide with a hydra-shok when the gun was dirty did it FTF.

Is there a difference between the mechanics of FTF when the slide is racked compared to the gun being shot and the gun getting caught up then?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have noticed on my Tactical Pro II that when racking one in, I have to pull the slide back almost as far as it can go and let go otherwise there will be a hangup (this is usually the case w/ just hollowpoints). Perhaps this is only native to the commander sized pistols b/c of the shorter slide/spring, but I would still recreate the same situation w/the hydrashoks and try putting one in the tube by just pulling the slide back until the rim of the case is visible as the top of the mag, and then try it racking the slide back as far as it can possibly go and see what the results are.

Hope this works and makes you more confident in this gun (which I'm afraid I'm going to have to buy any day now :confused: )

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i went shooting again today... Fed another 200 rounds of Winchester WB and S&B FMJ without fail. Didn't get to shoot any hydra-shoks though. Just too costly.

I've decided to carry it. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts