Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It felt right gents, it felt right.

For those that care: PT1911 in a galco NSAII rig, dang comfy! :rock:

·
Registered
112 Posts
I would have to agree with you. I prefer to carry a 5" gun when I can.
As opposed to anything shorter than the 5"? Why is that?

·
Registered
614 Posts
Why I prefer carrying the full-sized 1911? Well mostly because that's what I like.

Secondly, the 5" 1911s historically have a better reliability track record than the shorter guns. I'm sure a lot of people will say "My 3" has been flawless for 1000 rounds!" or something. That's good. The fact is that the original 5" format is inherently more reliable. I have some Commanders and some 4" Kimbers that shoot great. The 4.25" Commander length is said to be the shortest 1911 format that maintains the reliability of the 5". I will certainly not argue with that, since it has been my experience also. But if you talk to some of the gunsmiths that have worked with the 1911 over the years you will probably hear the same thing: The 5" 1911 is the most reliable of the bunch, with the qualifier that the 4.25" guns follow a very close second, if not tied.

I happen to like the 5" tucked into my waistband. It can actually conceal better than it's short-barreled brothers by the leverage the longer slide imparts on my hip. This will tuck the grip closer to my side. A 3" variant in the same location will not hug my side as closely because the barrel is so short, and can even want to rotate out of the waistband.

I had a beautiful Mitch Rosen IWB for a Kimber 3" that would not want to conceal well from the fact that there was so little gun below the belt. The butt was held away from my body because of this. I called their shop and was told that they suggested nothing shorter than a 4" to be worn IWB. A 3" OWB, however is as concealable as anything, just maybe not quite as reliable with a less-than-perfect grip or an awkward one-handed shot. My Kimber 3" was known to malfunction with a light-handed or "limp-wristed" grip. I don't believe there was anything to be done to the gun to remedy this except hold on to it right. I had reliability and performance work done to it, but this proclivity was still evident. In a bad situation, with a poor grip on the gun with only one chance at making one shot, I would much prefer to have one of my 5" guns in my mitt.

My tendency toward +P defensive loadings also plays a part in my choice of the 5" gun for carry. I have shorter recovery times with a full-sized steel gun than I have with a 3" aluminum framed gun. I think that the slide velocity in a short slided gun with +P loadings can sometimes endanger reliability. Again, this is what I have seen through my experience over the years, and that's really all that I have to go on.

Since the butt of the single stack 1911 will conceal for me regardless of the length, why not have a full-sized grip with an 8 round mag? And if carrying IWB, which is what I prefer for the best concealment, why not tuck a 5" barrel into my holster, especially if I can shoot it a little better, feel that I can rely on it a little more, and actually hide it as well or better than a shorter-barreled gun?

I may or may not be the only guy out there that feels this way, but then again, I'm the only one I'm really concerned with.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Hi

My personal opinion is that the butt of the 1911 is the part that is harder to conceal since you're carrying the barrel down. A four inch 1911 has the same frame as the five inch, so the butt's the same size. Personally, the officer's model was too short in the grip for me to handle.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Hi.
I tend to carry with a butt-forward rake that helps me conceal the length of the butt. A straight drop holster would make it tougher to hide the butt. Do you use a straight drop?

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
i agree, the grip is the main concealing point if you carry inside the waistband.

i like the 5 inch because thats just my fav size. i wouldnt mind finding an officers size pistol again ( defender or officers model) but the full size isnt that uncomfortable, just figure out the holster that works for you.

russel
SDMF

·
Registered
3,613 Posts
I carry a 5" 1911 and believe it's the leather that makes the difference. I don't skimp on quality. I have a very sturdy belt, holster, mag pouch that are made of horsehide and wear like iron. These items make carrying a steel 5" 1911 bearable. Note: I did not say comfortable. Wearing a gun is comforting, not necessarily - comfortable.

·
Premium Member
2,157 Posts
I carry a 5" 1911 and believe it's the leather that makes the difference. I don't skimp on quality. I have a very sturdy belt, holster, mag pouch that are made of horsehide and wear like iron. These items make carrying a steel 5" 1911 bearable. Note: I did not say comfortable. Wearing a gun is comforting, not necessarily - comfortable.
I`ll take it that last step and say comfortable. I carry in a variety of ways...but even IWB, with my Andrews Mac II is comfortable with a 5 in steel. I truly nearly forget I`m carrying.

·
Registered
3,613 Posts
I`ll take it that last step and say comfortable. I carry in a variety of ways...but even IWB, with my Andrews Mac II is comfortable with a 5 in steel. I truly nearly forget I`m carrying.
Good leather not withstanding, I never forget I'm carrying.

·
Premium Member
20,401 Posts
Second the vote for the Bobtail. Once I tried it, I had my other two favorite carry 1911's done.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I like the 5" length too.

I like the feel of the full size 1911 and concealability of the extra length is no problem when carrying IWB.

With a good holster/belt set up the weight is no problem either.

Both comfortable and comforting.

Never leave home without it. :)

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Like AZHusker, I bought a Dan Wesson Commander Bobtail and liked the Bobtail so much that I had two other Commanders Bobtailed. I find that not only does the Bobtail conceal better than any other 1911, including my 3" UC II, but it is a more comfortable, fun and accurate gun to shoot.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Now that I started carrying it, I understand the point of bobtailing a 1911. If you gents don't mind my asking, how much did that bobtail work run you?

·
Registered
100 Posts
I carry mine IWB in a galco royal delux and its comfortable. I honestly can forget that its there unless I lean over on that side. The weapon is a Kimber Raptor II 5".

·
Registered
5,031 Posts
I guess I shoot 1911s' with a full size frame enough that anything else just doesn't feel right to me. I do carry a Light Weight Commander though for being a little lighter on my older body and the shorter slide fits my body better when carried IWB.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts