1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have only been shooting for a couple of years now. The first pistol to ever touch my hands was a 1911 and I was hooked. I am extremely lucky enough to have a highly qualified instructor/friend to teach me all the things I needed to know right off the bat. Shortly after, I'd say 2 or 3 months, I started doing local IDPA's then some action pistol stuff and now I'm getting into the USPA. All of this time I had pretty much refused to shoot any glock ever for any reason. I dont like the angle of the frames and I'm not a fan of composites. That being said even though I shoot mostly reloads after xmas I just didnt have the cheddar to afford to go to a local action pistol and shoot a bunch of .45 so a good buddy of mine insisted that I shoot his Glock 17, with the price of a box of realoaded 9mm at $7 I couldnt say no. After the day was said and done with and as few days passed I have found myself thinking about how much fun it was to run around like my shoes were on fire shooting as fast as I could and only having to reload once, maybe twice on the longest courses of fire. Now I love my 1911 to death, now and forever, nothing will change that. But as competive as I am, and I am super competitive, the 1911, cdp, and single stack divisions dont seem to be quite as competitive or at least have far fewer competitors at matches. Is this a trend that is happening nation wide? or maybe just with people in the greater Atlanta area? Anyway long story short as much as I hate to admit it the glock was really fun at the match and after years of saying I would never... I think I'm going to have to get one, either a 17 or 22. Most likely 22 so I can shoot in the major class. I'm lucky enough to be in an area where I can hit easily at least 2 matches a week if not more and at a few they allow people to shoot in multiple divisions so I'll keep shooting my 1911 because at the moment thats my bread and butter, and if permitted will enter under two divisions shooting both 1911 and whatever I decide to get.

Has anybody else experienced anything similar and if so what conclusions did you come to?

·
Registered
476 Posts
Instead of a Glock you may want to try a Springfield XDm. The grip angle is much closer to what you have with the 1911. To me, the grip feels much better. The standard magazine for the 9mm is 19rds instead of 18 for the Glock as well. I have several and they're usually what I'll shoot if not a 1911 for IDPA. Last year for the centennial I stuck to 1911s, just seemed right. .45 Kimber Pro (my usual carry piece) for CDP and a 9mm 1911 for ESP. Picked up one of the new 5.25 XDms in 9mm shortly after it came out and looking forward to trying it out at a match this year.

·
Premium Member
8,055 Posts
Your not alone. :)
1911 and my 17.
Dave

·
Banned
6,475 Posts
Your experience is the exact reason I am starting to shoot limited divison in USPSA.

I LOVE shooting single stack, but there is no competition on a local level by me... Yes going to an area/sectional match and you will have good shooters... but even then, its not as big as you'd think... The 2011 Indiana USPSA sectional had 290 shooters I believe(largest state sectional to date) Of which less than 30 were single stack shooters.

Below is my opinion, if you are offended, sorry, but its the way I see it

I'm sure CDP is the same, but here is my view on single stack... There are 4 types of poeple that shoot single stack.

1. Old guys with 1911s who are good shots but can't move fast.
2. People who own a 1911 and suck at shooting(I'm talking people who made D class by shear luck).
3. People that get into USPSA with their 1911 and then move to limited/open divison.
4. People who are are passonate about single stack and shoot it competitively.

#4... is VERY rare locally by me.

Now, if you are a D/C class shooter, than you will most likely have competition on a local level... but still, it will not be "a lot" of people like you will see in Production or Limited... Get to an upper B level, or A class... and unless you are lucky(I'm not) then you will not have anyone to compete with.

The worst part is it seems theres a lot of people who come out and "just shoot" single stack... I am VERY competitive when it comes to this sport as well and its a little disheartening when you shoot against guys who don't care about the competitive aspect and just shoot to shoot(hense why I'm going to limited)

In my area I know of 3-4 shooters that when they shoot single stack we are neck and neck, but recently I haven't seen them at matches... and as an A class shooter I end up having to compare my scores at local matches to guys shooting limited to keep track of my progress.

MIke.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Guns are really locatio specific. Around here, SS is actually pretty big and has competition all through the classes. Other clubs/areas production is where its at at.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Your experience is the exact reason I am starting to shoot limited divison in USPSA.

I LOVE shooting single stack, but there is no competition on a local level by me... Yes going to an area/sectional match and you will have good shooters... but even then, its not as big as you'd think... The 2011 Indiana USPSA sectional had 290 shooters I believe(largest state sectional to date) Of which less than 30 were single stack shooters.

Below is my opinion, if you are offended, sorry, but its the way I see it

I'm sure CDP is the same, but here is my view on single stack... There are 4 types of poeple that shoot single stack.

1. Old guys with 1911s who are good shots but can't move fast.
2. People who own a 1911 and suck at shooting(I'm talking people who made D class by shear luck).
3. People that get into USPSA with their 1911 and then move to limited/open divison.
4. People who are are passonate about single stack and shoot it competitively.

#4... is VERY rare locally by me.

Now, if you are a D/C class shooter, than you will most likely have competition on a local level... but still, it will not be "a lot" of people like you will see in Production or Limited... Get to an upper B level, or A class... and unless you are lucky(I'm not) then you will not have anyone to compete with.

The worst part is it seems theres a lot of people who come out and "just shoot" single stack... I am VERY competitive when it comes to this sport as well and its a little disheartening when you shoot against guys who don't care about the competitive aspect and just shoot to shoot(hense why I'm going to limited)

In my area I know of 3-4 shooters that when they shoot single stack we are neck and neck, but recently I haven't seen them at matches... and as an A class shooter I end up having to compare my scores at local matches to guys shooting limited to keep track of my progress.

MIke.
I think you have pretty much hit the nail on the head. I fit into #4 of your classification system and have a few friends that are probably better then me that shoot 1911's at the weekly IDPA's, but of the 4 different people I'm thinking of I know only 1 other then myself that stays true to his 1911 at other matches. I also have the same problem when it comes to scoring, I dont want to be scored against the #1 and #2's but rather I find myself comparing to the fastest divisions, which like you said makes it a little harder to keep track of progress.

Mike do you have any video of you shooting? I'd like to see some A class action. I try to get almost all the stages I do on my phone so I can review my "game footage" so to speak, which helps me a lot. I have the footage from my glock stages and its really night and day between the two, reminds me of the old days lol.

·
Registered
27,692 Posts
Mike, start shooting in KY.

Corey and Shaun are always looking for a little competition....;)

·
Banned
6,475 Posts
Mike do you have any video of you shooting? I'd like to see some A class action.
I have a lot of film of what NOT to do as an A class shooter. :rofl: Always forget to give someone a camera when I have a good run, how convienent. :grumble:

PM me your email and I'll send you my IN sectional film, it was enough to take 3rd place, whether it was A class material, idk.

Look at Steel1212's videos on here.... Corey is a GM and I think his films should a much better example of a good/consistant shooter than what I can produce.

Mike.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have a lot of film of what NOT to do as an A class shooter. :rofl: Always forget to give someone a camera when I have a good run, how convienent. :grumble:

PM me your email and I'll send you my IN sectional film, it was enough to take 3rd place, whether it was A class material, idk.

Look at Steel1212's videos on here.... Corey is a GM and I think his films should a much better example of a good/consistant shooter than what I can produce.

Mike.

HAHA my videos are also extremely good examples of what not to do for the most part. But awesome I'll shoot you a pm now.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
The majority of the people in my area are shooting Limited, Production, and Open. SS and L-10 have a small loyal following, and Revo at bests only attracts one or two shooters even at State level matches.

I started out shooting SSTK exclusively for the first couple of years while I was learning the game, then in 2010 I got into hi-caps for Limited/3-gun first with a Glock 35 then a STI 2011. I would agree that the competition is much higher in Limited than it is in SSTK, but its also fun to go heads up against Limited and Open guys using my 1911 and see how I do.

Oddly enough, 1911's in CDP account for about 40% of the IDPA shooters in my area.

Bazzle, here are a few ideas for you:

Shoot SSTK long enough to get classified at a level that you think is representative of your skills (i.e. C, B, A) since you already have a 1911.

Shoot L-10 with 10-rnd mags in the same gun until you get to the same level that you are in SSTK.

Buy a Glock/XDM/M&P/CZ to play in Production. Also get some hi-cap mag extensions to play in Limited.

But since you're a 1911 guy (and this is a 1911 forum), invest in a 2011 .40SW for Limited!

Lastly, my advice is if you're not reloading yet, get a press before you invest in another gun. I can reload .45acp for $12/100 using moly-coated bullets. Helps stretch out the cheddar.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The majority of the people in my area are shooting Limited, Production, and Open. SS and L-10 have a small loyal following, and Revo at bests only attracts one or two shooters even at State level matches.

I started out shooting SSTK exclusively for the first couple of years while I was learning the game, then in 2010 I got into hi-caps for Limited/3-gun first with a Glock 35 then a STI 2011. I would agree that the competition is much higher in Limited than it is in SSTK, but its also fun to go heads up against Limited and Open guys using my 1911 and see how I do.

Oddly enough, 1911's in CDP account for about 40% of the IDPA shooters in my area.

Bazzle, here are a few ideas for you:

Shoot SSTK long enough to get classified at a level that you think is representative of your skills (i.e. C, B, A) since you already have a 1911.

Shoot L-10 with 10-rnd mags in the same gun until you get to the same level that you are in SSTK.

Buy a Glock/XDM/M&P/CZ to play in Production. Also get some hi-cap mag extensions to play in Limited.

But since you're a 1911 guy (and this is a 1911 forum), invest in a 2011 .40SW for Limited!

Lastly, my advice is if you're not reloading yet, get a press before you invest in another gun. I can reload .45acp for $12/100 using moly-coated bullets. Helps stretch out the cheddar.
You refereing to the S&W pro edition? I got to fool around with one of them and it felt pretty good.

and I am doing my own reloading.

I hear what you're saying about going up against the limited and open guys with the 1911, thats pretty much what I've been doing since day one. I compare my score/times to whoever is on top regardless of what they are shooting. But after doing this for as long as I have been and now deciding that I'm really going to take it to the next level I want to see how I run agains the big boys when I'm shooting similar setups. I think the fact that I've stuck with the 1911 exclusively for as long as I have is going to make me exponentially better when it comes time to actually start making this transition. Or at least thats how it felt shooting my buddies glock. In fact, most of my "lost time" comes from me being too excited, which I have no excuse for lol and shooting the sh!t out of everything bc I wasnt used to a pistol the cycled that fast.

I'll look into your advice for sure, I still have a good bit of research to do so every little bit helps, I appreciate it.

I'll put a clip up in the vid section, any feedback and critisism is always appreciated.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Get the G17. I did and it works for me. Same story. Shot 1911's & was a Glock hater for years. Hated the way they felt. Then a fellow shooter insisted that I buy the G17 and run it a bit; if I didn't like it he'd buy it from me. Now it is one of my favorite guns to shoot.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
For a while I had a fascination with compact and sub-compact handguns since they were easier to carry. I still own a few for carry, but after starting USPSA I quickly came to the realization that I shoot best with a full-size handgun -probably because of the extended sight radius and a grip/frame that was big enough to get a good grip. Sub-compact Glocks like the G19/23always pinched the hell out of my hand during reloads since my palm extended below the grip.

Yeah, if I was going the route of an M&P I'd look at the Pro. If XDM I'd look at the 5.25". For Glocks, the G34/35 would be my choice. If the grip angle of the Glock is a problem for you, you might look into the GripForce adapter and see if that helps.

One of the things I noticed that when I was heavily into SSTK division I really focused on getting my hits especially on steel (probably because we only have 8+1 rnds and need to make them count...). So when I transitioned from a 1911 to a hi-cap I found myself still shooting for points, which made me accurate but slower than the top Limited shooter or match HOA. I had to do a mental shift to let go a little and accept a slight decrease in accuracy if it gained me significant speed, and then I started winning Limited or HOA at local matches. Mikes and No-shoots were still something to avoid, but I didn't cry over the occasional D-zone hit if I was able to save a couple of seconds on my stage time.

Plus more rounds in the gun meant I could take risks (i.e. shoot at a wide open target while moving as opposed to run-stop-shoot to make the rnds count) or I could plan my stages completely differently than when I was shooting 8+1 in SSTK.

Its fun to shoot with the big boys, and I've learned a lot about footwork and stage planning by watching and studying the M and GM's in this sport. IMO, there are huge gains to be made by working on footwork and stage planning, while keeping my splits to where I can still maintain the level of accuracy where I need it to be to get a high HF.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I have shot my 1911's with limited success in a couple of matches but I have found that I'm now mostly shooting my 9mm almost exclusively. At first it was due to the cost factor of 9mm vs .45 but I have also found I can shoot 9mm much more accurately and faster. I prefer shooting my CZ's to my M&P's mostly due to the all metal feel and weight of the CZ's. With that said I did shoot a local CCW match with my M&P and actually impressed myself with my speed.

In the end just shoot whats the must fun for you.

·
Registered
479 Posts
If you're considering going with a polymer 9mm, look at the m&p 9 long slide. Same grip angle as a 1911, but more adjustable with different back straps, trigger is upgradable with very little work, great warranty, shoots in the SSP division in idpa instead of ESP like the XD.

·
Registered
136 Posts
If you're considering going with a polymer 9mm, look at the m&p 9 long slide. Same grip angle as a 1911, but more adjustable with different back straps, trigger is upgradable with very little work, great warranty, shoots in the SSP division in idpa instead of ESP like the XD.
Agreed! I love my 1911, but I also love my M&P which I now exclusively shoot in IDPA. For me, the M&P is the closest to the 1911 in grip angle and the bore axis height relative to the hand. The XD is a tad too tall for me.

·
Registered
5,038 Posts
I too prefer the M&P to the Glock. I've also been reading good things about the Walther PPQ, but have not shot one yet. I usually shoot a 1911 in Single Stack Division, but Production is fun shooting a 9MM with lighter recoil. That being said I still shoot my Glocks a lot in Production and of course GSSF Matches.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm about to head down to a pretty big gun show just outside of Atlanta here, I'm taking everything said here into consideration and who knows... I do appreciate everyones opinions, I'll be checking out a few models that I didnt think I would give a second glance before this.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I would also recommend the xdm. to me the grip/ergos feel so much better than the glock but to you, it might not.

plus, the XDm is much better looking ;)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts