1911Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The UPS guy dropped off my new Midway 1292 Case Tumbler and a package of corn cob media.

I tumbled some .45 cases for half an hour, and they are indeed nicely polished. They feel as slick as the feed ramps on my 1911s.

My question is how far to go with this polishing activity?

What are the merits and drawbacks to using brass polish to further polish out the remaining minute scratches remaining on the cases?

·
Registered
697 Posts
I don't believe there are any merits. You're just going to put more on in the reloading and firing process. Clean is what counts.

·
Registered
3,078 Posts
I usually let mine tumble for several hours. I go off and do something else and come back to turn off the tumbler when I remember

I use Dillon brass polish whenever the cases start to come out kinda dull.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I agree with Son, I try to remember to plug my tumbler in before I go to work. Come home and look at my shiny brass.

·
Registered
691 Posts
I polish for two hours only. I do it during laundry day, and both chores get done at about the same time.

------------------
-Electric Armadillo-

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
I tumble - well, vibrate, actually - for two hours. Why? Because that makes them kinda shiny, and that's a nice round number.
But I use walnut shell right now, with a pinch of dry brass polish added.

Incidentally, Electric's comment reminded me: I clean my polishing medium periodically by "tumbling" a couple of Bounce anti-static sheets. I cut each one into fourths and off I go. They come out filthy, and I can see that my medium is cleaner.

------------------
If God didn't want us to own guns, why did He make the 1911?

·
Registered
316 Posts
I polish two to three hours in walnut shell.

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
I polish using tuff-nut, starting sometime in the middle of the night and letting them run until I get back from work at 6 PM or so.

They look like mirrors.

Although there's no need for cases this shiny, as "just clean" is good enough, I like them that way.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Brass polish . . . Brasso contains ammonia. Ammonia weakens brass.

I dump liquid car wax into my walnut shell media. Maybe 1/2 cup in the tumbler. Keeps the dust down. Look for wax that doesn't contain ammonia. The smell gives ammonia away. Media is NOT rocket science. And it's pretty cheap.

I polish to get the crud off the brass. Dawn and vinegar work to clean brass before tumbling. About a 1/2 cup vinegar in a half gallon of water, big squirt of Dawn.

I wash the stuff and then decap and size. Brass needs to be clean before going in the die.

------------------
What part of "shall not be infringed" needs 'splainin' ???
----------------------------------------------------------------
PowderBurns Black Powder / Muzzle Loader Forum

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Use Tuff-nut, and only go about 45 minutes.

Maybe it's the cost of electricity here in CA, but that's clean enough for me!

Most of the time I'm going to shoot it, not look at it. It's true, from time to time, I like to fondle a handful, especially the FMJ.

I'm led to believe it doesn't shoot any better with the "ultra-shine", so a basic clean 'n shine is enough

1 - 10 of 10 Posts