1911Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

Premium Member
Might lead to a bit of an ejection issue...

Reactions: LTP

Premium Member
The .45 was a fatter pistol than the 9mm and the 9鈥檚 rattled around in the holsters鈥eed serious clarification on this.

Administrator
Back when people first came up with the idea of directly attaching a flashlight to a firearm there were some pretty goofy-looking setups. The problem was only a large D-cell flashlight like that had the candlepower and durability to be effective. We're now living in a golden age of small pocket-sized flashlights that not only are strong enough to take the recoil of a handgun but also are bright enough to light up a football field.

Might lead to a bit of an ejection issue...
Remember that a 1911 tends to eject up more than it does to the right. I have plenty of dents in my forehead that attest to this.

Premium Member
Back when people first came up with the idea of directly attaching a flashlight to a firearm there were some pretty goofy-looking setups. The problem was only a large D-cell flashlight like that had the candlepower and durability to be effective. We're now living in a golden age of small pocket-sized flashlights that not only are strong enough to take the recoil of a handgun but also are bright enough to light up a football field.

Remember that a 1911 tends to eject up more than it does to the right. I have plenty of dents in my forehead that attest to this.
Back in 1980 and 1990's I remember cops at night in traffic stops would carry one of those 6 D-Cell Maglite's with the cap end resting on their shoulders and held underhand and pointed at a driver in the car... to be used as a baton just in case! Those were the days that Maglite's were seen as the ultimate illumination system. Then those lithium CR123 batteries came along and first they used them with tiny halogen bulbs. They were able to deliver both voltage and high current drain in a small package. Then the LEDs were improved when they finally started making them as bright as the halogen, and that wasn't too long ago, maybe 10 years ago.

Registered
Back in 1980 and 1990's I remember cops at night in traffic stops would carry one of those 6 D-Cell Maglite's with the cap end resting on their shoulders and held underhand and pointed at a driver in the car... to be used as a baton just in case! Those were the days that Maglite's were seen as the ultimate illumination system. Then those lithium CR123 batteries came along and first they used them with tiny halogen bulbs. They were able to deliver both voltage and high current drain in a small package. Then the LEDs were improved when they finally started making them as bright as the halogen, and that wasn't too long ago, maybe 10 years ago.
I bought my Surefire 6P (halogen bulb), in 2004. In 2008, when I started in LE, we were still using 3D Mag-Lites. Everyone was amazed my 6P could illuminate as good as the Mag-Lite. As time went on, lights got brighter and smaller. I kept my Mag-Lite (I usually worked nights). It was great for not ruining my night vision and as a weapon, if necessary. It was also the best light I鈥檝e ever used, for tracking suspects, in the dark. The way it cast light and the color of the light were perfect.

Premium Member
I bought mine in 2000 and it is still on my duty belt. It is the upper one; the lower one is in my night stand. We had a class at the highway patrol in the late 1980s for using our five cell Mag Lites as a defensive tool.

Attachments

Registered
I can remember working as a CO in a Maximum Security Prison, and we carried 5 D-Cell Maglights on our duty belts.
They made great persuaders, and if used correctly and within regulated parameters, were almost always useful for illumination as well as persuasion.
Believe it or not, flashing an inmate in the face with the narrowed down beam was considered "Use of Force". It was on the low end, but was still considered "Use of Force".
I once used my light to stop one inmate from shanking another, and had to go to Court to defend myself against an "Excessive Force" allegation because when I hit his wrist to stop him shanking the other inmate, it broke 7 different bones in his wrist.

The light once went over the 4th Tier Railing and hit the concrete floor, denting one side of the lease ring and burning out the bulb.
Changed the bulb and it still worked.
One Inmate had scammed 6 Inmates in one of the Dorm Type Cells, and they were beating the snot out of him.
When another CO and I broke up the fight, they were trying to throw the Officer over the rail.
I waded in and held onto the CO with one hand and was whaling the tar out of anyone I could reach with the other, being careful to avoid head or face hits.
It's amazing how much fight will leave out of a guy when he's whacked full force on an elbow or knee with a 5 D Cell Maglight.
Throat punches work pretty good also.
I still have the light, and keep the batteries changed out regularly, having long ago replaced the regular bulb with a Halogen Bulb, and then now an LED Replacement Bulb.

Registered
I used one of those big Maglites way back then too. But the PD seriously impressed upon everyone and made sure that no one used one as a baton. If you did there were serious consequences for doing so. it was OK to use the PD issued baton like they taught you to. But not the huge Maglite though. After I quit police work, I had relegated my big Maglite to home duty, but I forgot about it for too long and the batteries corroded inside ruining it. But at the time that huge Maglite was the high technology for us.

Premium Member
I bought mine in 2000 and it is still on my duty belt. It is the upper one; the lower one is in my night stand. We had a class at the highway patrol in the late 1980s for using our five cell Mag Lites as a defensive tool.
Thanks for that info. Yes I guess it was a 5 D-Cell Maglite, I wasn't sure if it was 5 or 6, what I do remember is they were large and could be used as a weapon.

Registered
Nothing sais spec-ops like a S&W Model 76 with a Rayovac hangin from the barrel shroud.

View attachment 614737
OMEGA MAN!! When you are the last man on earth you adapt and improvise!

What did this rig weigh!

Snappy dresser...Love the shirt and jacket!

Reactions: jr24
1 - 19 of 19 Posts