1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title states. I royally f-ed up and put a scratch across the the words: MODEL 1911-A1 CAL .45 on my Stainless TRP. Anyone have an idea on how to remedy this. It does not seem to be into the metal on the slide just superficial. But you can see it. Any sort of polish or something that I can pick up.

Thanks

·
Registered
85 Posts
I've taken idiot scratches out of stainless guns with just some Iosso on a paper towel ... polish by hand for a bit. First time I tried I was afraid the area I 'polished' would be shinier than the rest of the gun, but that didn't happen. The finish matched, and the scratch was gone.

·
Premium Member
1,166 Posts
I did the same thing on my Dan Wesson CBOB 2 days after I got it. I am still PO'd about it. I did mine while putting the slide stop back after cleaning. I have never heard of the product he used. Anything else that works ? Thanks

·
Registered
570 Posts
Didn't have scratches to remove but I thought that the laser engraving on my otherwise very nice DW CBOB felt less than great.

I striped it down to the bare frame and used 1000 wet or dry laid out on a granite surface plate (any very flat firm surface should work), sliding the frame across the paper in the same direction of the original brushed finish several times until the rough laser edges were smooth as a baby's butt. it worked out well enough that I didn't do the other side and they look the same. Than I did the Classic on the slide they look and feel soooo much better now.

Of course this only works on a brushed type finish.

·
Registered
5,698 Posts
I've been successful using jeweler's rouge (Home Depot) and Flitz (Ace Hdw) to remove the actual scratch, and then blending the shiny spot I just created with fine grit wet or dry applied in the direction of the grain. You should be able to get back to near new.

·
Premium Member
8,055 Posts
Bummer.:( My carry gun gets the oops, and my Range-Safe queens ones get a little more caution. Stainless "is" a lot more forgiving. :)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Pics of my Idiot scratch

:(

The color is off in this pic as I could not use the flash. Thanks for the ideas.

Sir James

·
Premium Member
8,587 Posts
Ouch. You're not the first one, though.

That's a blasted finish. probably would have to reblast it after getting the scratchie out.

·
Premium Member
14,637 Posts
Correct the only way to really make this disappear is to bead blast. Or if you like the straight grain line appearance do as StrikerDown did and polish the sides of the slide.

LOG

·
Premium Member
11,666 Posts
Hard to say for sure, but appears to be some peening around the slide stop notch (back bottom corner) and take down notch (front and back bottom corners). If so, you may want to get a smith to take a look and fix that (and the cause) before it gets worse.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Yeah, you're going to need a new slide.

Just kidding. Be glad it's stainless, all kinds of way to get that out. Better minds than mine will tell you how, here.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Since the entire pistol is bead blasted, the only way to fix it is to have SA re-finish the slide. I'd leave it alone until the day you need to rebuild and refinish it.

·
Registered
570 Posts
A picture is worth a thousand words.

If the scratch really is very superficial you might be able to bead blast just the scratch lightly. Bead blasting unlike sand blasting tends to just peen or burnish the surface not remove metal so if your bead size and pressure is close to the original blasters it should blend in the scratch pretty quickly with a light pass or two of the blaster.

Or, forget about it and go shoot the beast! :rock:

·
Registered
181 Posts
Congratulations, finally got her broken in. Pistols are for shooting. They will get scratches get like any other tool. Idiot scratches just mean that you actually shoot it or at least take it apart once and a while. While you are under fire in your foxhole scooping the mud out of the action, it is difficult to get the slide stop in perfectly. Get over it.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
i agree with others above, leave it alone, use your time and money to buy and shoot ammo.

if you want shiney jewelry, buy that and put it in a safe. enjoy shooting it safely as it.

·
Administrator
74,040 Posts
Any local gunsmith with a bead blaster can clean that up for you in an afternoon.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I know that it is a tool. It will get scratched and what not, it just irked me when I did it. By no means is it a safe queen. I shoot the **** out of it, also now that the weather is cooling off I can carry it more often.

Sir James

1 - 20 of 24 Posts