1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hadn't seen much of the WWII replica until recently. I love the fact that it's a 70 Series.

Sure looks nice....do folks think it's worth the almost $1,000 that people are asking on the internet sites?

On one hand, if they really do only make 4,000 of them, would I rather pay $995 for a brand new, limited edition or pay JLD Enterprises $395 for a refinished arsenal gun that's been dragged behind some jeep in Latin America? (OK, I realize it's a leading question.....I'm just trying to justify buying the Colt in my mind.)

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
I handled one yesterday at a large shop and it felt great- very tight, it had a smooth well-worn feel to it. I know some folks that really know their WWII era Colts aren't satisfied with the remake, but it sure looked like a neat gun to me.

The first centerfire handgun I shot was an Ithaca WWII era .45 and this new one sure looked about the same.

------------------
NRA, USPSA, IDPA and MCRGO member
http://www.ehhs.cmich.edu/~bchamber/10mm.html

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
At $600-700, you'd never have found one... They'd have been flying off the shelves...

At $1000, I still feel pretty strongly that I could find a Vintage 1911A1, and be much more happy.

I was happy with Colt's decision to build the gun, just wish they'd priced it better.

·
Administrator
73,803 Posts
I'm in complete agreement with Jaydee. If the gun was $300 cheaper I'd buy one myself. But for $950+ you can easily find a Remington Rand or Ithaca in 95% shape, and at least you'll have the real deal. For a few hundred more you can find a genuine Colt GI as well.

------------------
D. Kamm
USGI M1911/M1911A1 Pistols Website
http://www.geocities.com/M1911_M1911A1

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
About %75 of my friends have been in the service. Most own shotguns and or rifles. Probably %50 of these guys own a handgun. When the topic of guns comes up in a conversation, to a man they all say the one handgun I'd like to own is a goverment 1911. This would have been the perfect oportunity for Colt to sell a ton of these at $550. But nooooooooo......$1000. I'd love to have one but no friggen way, even at $800.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
This current effort from Colt, although nice looking in it's own way, is hardly worth $1000 US. To me it looks just like a Norinco or an Auto-Ordnance. If they wanted to make it authentic, they should have gotten the stamping a little more correct. The finish should be the old "green-grey" parkerizing too.

My very first .45 Auto was an "as issued" Ithaca 1911A-1. From there the 'sickness' spread, so that at one point I had about 21 1911 & 1911A-1's. My WWII collection included a Colt, an Ithaca, a Remington-Rand and a US Army National Match. I almost had my mits on a Union Switch & Signal once but another collector beat me out of it. All had that "green-grey" finish. Even the serial numbers were in the correct range for the top ends.

Anyway, back to the topic on hand. For the money, I'd hold out for a real period gun. Heck, just last week I picked up a 1915 vintage real Colt 1911 (Serial #C17,XXX) with British Proofs - must have been issued to a British or Canadian officer in WWI, but carried very little - in about 90% condition for $450 Canadian (yeah, that's right, something less than $300 US!!!) So, they are still out there. No need to go out and spend big bucks on "remakes".

Just my 2 cents. Good Shooting! NAA.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
I paid 868 out-the-door for mine and may just order another. I like mine so darned well, I'm gonna customize it! The other one will probably be a safe queen. Spotted one at yesterday's gunshow for a grand. Totally overpriced! Have your dealer order it from Accusport. They have 'em cheaper, and if he's any kind of dealer he'll be up-front about the markup and shipping.

You could own one for 868. I do.

[This message has been edited by Inspector Harry Callahan (edited 09-03-2001).]

·
Registered
216 Posts
Here we go once more down the same road. You have to decide what the piece is for; collecting or shooting. I know that this point is confusing and difficult to remember at times;it is however crutial when buying handguns.

I am a shooter.... Plain and simple. I shoot everything that I own! Yes, I like vintage firearms but not to collect. I shoot them! Why then do I like vintage firearms, you ask? Well sometimes it's because what I am purchasing is no longer available and I like it. Sometimes it is to own a piece of history to shoot, show off at the range and talk about. Examples include Series 70 Colts, Colt Commanders, WWII vintage 1911A1s and etc. I do not buy these vintage (or collectable) pieces expecting to resell to make a profit. I buy them to enjoy and use.

In my reality, collectors buy firearms to show other people and to admire privately but primarily to resell or trade for a profit. Collectors do not and in many cases should not fire their pistols.....It might damage the value of the pistol. They should never even consider modifying a truly collectibly firearm due to the resultant loss of value.

Now to bring this to bear on the current subject. If you think that the re-issue 1911 is a collectible piece then you will have to decide what other collectors will give you for it at a later date.....that's what collectors do. If you do not think it will increase beyond the acquistion price faster than other venues of investing then you certainly should not buy one!

If on the other hand, you are a shooter, then never mind what it will be worth later. The question for you is will you enjoy and use it enough to justify the cost or would you rather have something else for the same money. I include in this enjoyment factor the attention you get from your friends and others who see it. This includes showing it to your friends at the range. It's for you to decide and no one can do it for you.

As for me, I would rather have an SA loaded! Remember, I'm a shooter....not a collector. Don't let the two entirely different positions confuse you.

PigPen

[This message has been edited by PigPen (edited 09-03-2001).]

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Pigpen - I'm with you on your thoughts re: collector vs shooter. At one time I saw myself as a bit of a collector - I had 21 1911 & 1911A-1's and most of them I didn't shoot. Now my circumstances are somewhat different...about 3 years ago I parted with all but 2 of my Colts. (Kept 2 "shooters", a stock 1968 mfg "Government" and a 1942 mfg Colt 1911A-1 frame with a Series 70 top-end with custom sites that does 1/2 time with a .22 Conversion Unit). My latest acquisition - the 1915 vintage Colt 1911, although real nice will be a "shooter" to. That is my current situation - the piece was just too nice to pass up, but everything that I currently own gets a trip to the range once in a while. However, my current circumstances can't justify paying even $868 US for a "repro" 1911A-1. Good Shooting! NAA.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Originally posted by Inspector Harry Callahan:
The other one will probably be a safe queen.
What's the point? Because Colt only made 4000 of them? Geee... There's a whole lot of other Colt's that were produced in FAR less number's that are much nicer, and much lower priced, and even the ones with 500 or less unit's never "gained" much in terms of value over the average Production line Colt.

If you want to collect a Colt GI model, get a REAL one! You'll thank yourself...

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Even $799 is too much for this one! I'll pass and wait for another real one to come my way. Chances are, in my neck of the woods, it'll be lots cheaper. Won't end up as a "safe queen" either! NAA.

101 Posts
Yes. I think it is well worth the price.

I paid $875. The 1991 is $650. The difference of $225 can be justified in my mind. I have seen beater 1911s in gun shops and gun shows. They run too high in price. Plus the darned thing might be a parts gun.

The new 1911A1 comes from the custom shop. It is very tight. The gun is superb in fit, finish, and attention to detail.

To a greater extent, I am both a lover of history and a military man. If we deploy over the events of 11 September, my new 1911A1 will be with me on the deployment. I would consider it an honor to carry that arm into battle. I could not say the same for the 1991. The rollmark on that piece is ungodly. Also, it is not absolutely true in form to a military arm.

So cost, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder. I personally think the money spent is spent wisely.

Mine will be a shooter regardless. I will enjoy it and not think twice about upsetting its "collector value."

Rob

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
For a piece I might resell later on, possibly. For a shooter that I'm gonna keep. No. I'd rather get any decent 1911 from Colt built before the Series 80 guns.

101 Posts
Originally posted by Mute:
I'd rather get any decent 1911 from Colt built before the Series 80 guns.
This is not a Series 80. It is not even a Series 70. There is a big red tag that is attached to the trigger guard that states the firing mechanism is of a pre-70 series configuration. That is why I give Colt so much credit: they went *WAY* out on a liability limb to manufacture a gun they claim--and back up--is true to WWII manufacture. In this day and age of liability they produce a gun that can accidentally discharge if dropped? They have testicles the size of grapefruits. I can truly see a retired Lieutenant General is at the helm of Colt.

Obviously the serialization is different. There is no UNITED STATES PROPERTY marking either, but come on. They have to guarantee these re-issues are not passed off as originals due to collector interests.

I find a lot of you guys in this forum and rec.guns really knock Colt. I own many Colts, old and new. They are sound firearms. A lot of the criticism is not grounded in fact, but in baseless, corrupt "I *heard* that Colt's...."

Rob

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
If my Series 80 XSE isn't here today, I plan to change my order and get another one of these Repros. Hope its not too late!

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Did I say Colt was...(you fill in the blanks)? I said I prefer the ones they had made prior to the Series 80 guns.

Yes, I know this is a 1911 repro w/o that dreaded Series 80 safety. I just don't think they're giving $1000 worth of gun. That doesn't mean it's a bad gun. But for $1000, I do expect more as I don't see any justification for that price.

101 Posts
Originally posted by Inspector Harry Callahan:
I paid 868 out-the-door for mine...<snip>...have your dealer order it from Accusport. They have 'em cheaper....
I agree. Accusport has been the leader for some time. I can remember when they would place some limited-edition special orders with Smith & Wesson in the '80s and early '90s. They are the ones that got Smith & Wesson to rekindle the imaginitive R&D->prototype->production flame. I also give S&W their due credit for working with Accusport in developing these limited-edition niche guns.

When I was looking for my M1911A1 re-issue, I called Accusport. They had 63 of them in stock as of two weeks ago. I don't know how many they have now.

Anyway, Accusport is the real deal. They're much more than a distributor/warehouse.

Take care,
Rob

1 - 20 of 25 Posts