1911Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You can read in almost every thread here about how famous Springfield Armory is for customer service. I wish I didn't have to say it, but my experience doesn't back it up.

I sent my 2001 Stainless loaded in a month ago because of constant FTF's & FTE's from day 1. I called SA and got an RA number to send the gun in. I also asked for them to pick up the shipping since the gun was brand new. They informed me that If I sent the shipping invoice, they would repay the $30+ in shipping fees.

When I sent the gun in, I included a letter asking for them to look at the slide allignment because I thought it might have been off. Along with that, I made 2 simple requests.

1. because I live in an apartment, please call me before shipping the gun back

2. I would also like you to call because I may want some custom work done on the gun as long as it's there.

After waiting four weeks, I finally got the gun back yesterday.

1. There was no call before shipping

2. Nothing from them about paying for shipping

3. I understand that they test fired the gun, but if was ABSOLUTELY FILTHY. I know I keep my guns a little cleaner than most, but there was power residue caked inside the gun, the barrel was really dirty.

Maybe I'm just complaining, but that seems a little unreasonable to me. It seems like they didn't do most of the things I asked them to. I also liked how the work order claimed the only repair as "extractor tuned" they left out the defective magazine(s) and bad ejector they replaced.

·
Registered
83 Posts
If you want custom work done, you should talk to them about it before you send the pistol in. I live in an apartment too, what difference does it make if you're notified or not? You got it and if you didn't, it was insured. So what if it was dirty? Clean it if it bothers you. I just don't see a problem with any of this.

Bottom line, does it work now?

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would consider a request to talk to them about custom work to be sufficient enough for them to have the common courtesy to at least AKNOWLEDGE my question.

Secondly, if you have ever had to have a gun shipped to an apartment, making sure that somebody is there means quite a lot.

Third, suppose you bought a car that didn't work from the day you bought it, then when it was fixed the dealer returned the thing covered in dirt and grease. You're telling me you'd be happy?

Finally, never heard anything about my shipping expense. I know $35 isn't much when we're talking about a $650 gun. However its another broken promise by a company that enjoys a great service reputation that by my experience they don't deserve.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Does the gun work?

If Springfield fixed the gun, the other stuff, although annyoning, is really trivial in the grand scheme of things.

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
I am a warranty repairman and have been for ten years now; the past two years I am warranty tech for a wind turbine manufacturer. For the company I now work for, we do not pay the customer's shipping to the factory. When you're talking a wind turbine that weighs quite a bit, it's not cheap. Plus, the wind turbine might be coming from anywhere in the world. Doesn't matter when it was bought; that's just our policy. Springfield was pretty generous to pick up your shipping tab, in my opinion. I daresay it's not their standard policy.
As far as custom work, often a warranty department is too busy to make more than one phone call. A similar case is the policy where I work on upgrading out-of-warranty turbines: The policy where I work is that if we cannot reach the customer within five phone calls (e-mail helps TREMENDOUSLY with cases like this for us) to offer him an upgrade on an out-of-warranty turbine, we will simply repair the turbine as stock and ship it back. Now, if you weren't home when Springfield called, they probably just repaired it as stock and shipped it. If they didn't attempt to call, they may have a policy that custom work must be arranged and paid for in advance.
As far as sending the weapon back dirty, well, I'll say that's not the best. But I will tell you this: I don't clean the turbines I repair before I ship them. I don't send them back filthy, mind you, but the condition they come in is how they return. I'm not saying the weapon should have been returned dirty; I wouldn't accept that in a shop I was running. But, I'm not running their shop; I don't know what their policies are. I know that repairing weapons in the army, I did not accept dirty weapons for repair, nor did I clean any oil off them after I repaired them.

I would call and ask to speak to either tech support or the warranty department and see if somehow things got a little confused. Hey, mistakes happen. Warranty departments aren't perfect. But a phone call from the customer is the only way we're ever going to know when we dropped the ball on a repair.

------------------

Those that beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those that don't

·
Registered
119 Posts
I've been where you are, and it isn't fun. The first time I sent the gun back to SA, I had all kinds of problems, including being told that I didn't send the gun when I said I did.

My gun came back from SA just as dirty as I sent it, so I really can't bitch about that.

As far as them paying for shipping, they will pay for it. You have to send them a copy of your receipt for the shipping and they will send you a check. I know, they owed me $102 dollars for shipping for the two trips the gun made.

My gun was left on the back porch also. But it wasn't SA's fault. Fedex left it there, even after they had been told by SA not to do that.

How does the gun work now?

------------------
Any day above ground is a good day!!!

[This message has been edited by Double Tap (edited 08-08-2001).]

·
Registered
658 Posts
saluki,

I have had both good and bac experiences with Springfield customer service.

I purchased a TRP in early 1999, the early TRPs didn't come with night sights so in the fall of 1999 I sent the pistol back to the factory to have tritium inserts installed.

Less than a year later one of the tritium inserts was dead and the other two were very dim. I couldn't send the pistol back right away because it was my duty pistol.

June 1 I sent the pistol back, when I asked about the shipping (which was almost $40) I was told that they would have to receive the pistol and see if it was warranty or not. While the pistol was there I decided to have $300 worth of custom work done to the gun. I was told that the work was covered under warranty and I had to submit a letter with my RMA# explaining why I had to send back the pistol and a receipt for the shipping.

It took Springfield 2 months to the day to get my pistol back to me and the next day I had a check in the mail for the cost of the shipping.

You may have to submit a letter to recoup your shipping costs. Sorry to hear about the rest, this time Springfield did me right, you might want to give them a call and see what they can do to make it right. I delt with Deb in Customer Service and she took good care of me.

Good Luck

Semper Fi
USMC03

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
By and large you have to talk to someone at the company to get something done. If you have a complaint, call them and say I have a complaint...and complain away. If it's somethin' they dropped the ball on, I bet they'll fix it. On the other hand, if you just don't like the way they did your repair work, tell them that...You are not going to get any relief from SA until you talk to SA...Let us know what happens...It always concerns all of us if a company does drop the ball on a customer...

------------------
>>>>>>>>>>g2<<<<<<<<<<

I Like The Shade Too!

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just to respond to a couple questions.

1. My 1911 was so clean when I sent it in, it looked like it had never been fired. It was cleaner than when I bought it.

2. It looks like it's feeding better when I rack the slide by hand. The extractor also passes the shake test. As for firing, I'll have to wait until Saturday.

3. I'll post when I talk to SA

·
Registered
6 Posts
Am presently experiencing my first warranty return to SA. So far it hasn't been good. Sent my 1911 Loaded in for warranty work (at a cost exceeding $40.00 UPS Nextday Air) was told by customer service that turnaround would be 3 to 4 weeks. Well, seems that there's been a hitch in the process...and it's gonna take a bit longer. Now we're looking at 5 to 6 weeks if I'm lucky. Thanks for the info about SA's refund for my shipping cost. Seems fair to me considering that if the quality control people had done their job, the gun should never have been shipped for retail sale in the first place. I should have gone with my instincts and bought the Kimber.

·
Administrator
18,614 Posts
Originally posted by cbensr23:
I should have gone with my instincts and bought the Kimber.
Trust me...Kimber has their share of problem guns just as much as anyone else.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
It helps to send a letter with the gun explaining what you want done. I've done it once, and everything worked out fine. Cost me a little, but everything is as I asked!

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I sent a letter too, didn't do me much good. I doubt they ever read it.

·
Registered
137 Posts
RGO has it right. Although i'd be a bit miffed about some of these items, I bet that you wll be happy at the range tomorrow. Is your loaded broken in yet? How many rounds are through it?

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It had 600 rounds through it when I sent it in.

It came back from the factory much tighter that when I sent it in, so I think they might have put a new spring in it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have a TRP(old model) and was quite pleased with it but i have to send it back to them bec. the hammer is falling to half cock every 4-5 rds. I already had 8000 rds through the gun and thousands of dry practice as well. Another thing is that the grip screw bushings are loose. I asked them to tighten it. I even put a letter with it stating what the problem was and asked them if they could tighten the grip screw bushing. I received the gun back today after 3 weeks. The invoice note states that they've adjusted the sear spring and changed one of the bushings. I inspected the gun and the trigger is much heavier but without creep(5 lbs. per invoice notes). However i don't think that they tighten the grip screw bushings bec. they are still loose. Is this easy to tighten? I just don't want to send it back and spend another $30.00 on shipping and wait for another 3 weeks. Any suggestions? What should i do? Thanks.
Jag

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Alright, I'm back from the range. I put 150 rounds through my loaded 1911.

The action at least worked as advertised. I had no jams, misfeeds, FTF's, etc. So I feel a little bit better.

I do have another thing to work on, this gun still can't hit the broad side of a barn. To answer the next question, no it's not me.

Just to compare, I shot my friends 1999 loaded and held 5 shots to 4 inches at 25 yards standing.

As compared to my loaded just back from the factory I can't keep five shots withing 10 inches shooting from a bench rest.

To top the day at the range off, I got my last piece of brass right down the front of my shirt... That smarts!

·
Registered
60 Posts
My experience with Springfield's service on my 1911 was a happier one. I sent my 2001 1911A1 Loaded to Springfield on July 31 because it was shooting low. It was returned on August 10 with a new front sight. It is shooting to point of aim now. Springfield paid for the shipping both ways.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Contact them...Did you speak with Dave Williams? I really would like to hear the end of this...Unfinished business...

------------------
>>>>>>>>>>g2<<<<<<<<<<

I Like The Shade Too!

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I talked to customer service, and the woman who pays the shipping reimbursements is out due to a death in the family which is understandable.

As for the fact that my gun can't hit anything, that's my problem unless I want to give it up for another month or more. I'm thinking of sending it back, and buying a Kimber Gold Match, and sell the SA when it comes back.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.