1911Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Not the HK USP Compact, but the new HK45 Compact. Thinking about picking one up today as a EDC. I'm looking for a good trouble free .45acp. I love my 1911's but they are a little more picky then any HK, M&P or GLOCK I've ever owned.

I've been carrying a full size 1911 for over five years now but I've gotten lazy about cleaning my guns with a new 15 month old baby in the house, I just don't have the time!

Anyway I thought an HK45C might be a good option for next to zero maintenance firearm that is virtually 100% reliable.

I have 8 1911's, a mixture of COLT's, Springfield's and Kimber's so I wouldn't say I'm hating on 1911's or anything. Just looking for something a little less picky.

I do currently have one of the Smith and Wesson M&P .45acp Mid-Compact (full frame w/ 4 inch slide) and it is a fine gun but frankly it isn't even in the same class as anything HK makes. If I'm going to use it for a EDC to protect my family, I want it to be as reliable as it can be.

HK for the win quality wise, hands down when it comes to poly framed pistols.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Trouble free, bomb-proof, reliable.

Still wider than Glock, M&P or XD, but narrower than the old USP. Overall height is actually short but bore-axis is high.

I usually carry my 1911 Commander but I've carried my HK45C for weeks at times. The difference is noticable but it is not that big an issue.

It was actually more difficult to find a holster for it.

And magazines were expensive (they also take 10-round USP Compact .45 mags btw).

Decocker may be tricky if you ride it like the 1911 safety.

Trigger in SA mode is actually more like the XDM, in that it has some light takeup, then requires a noticeable increase in pressure for the last bit before it releases.

This is unlike the M&P which has some trigger travel but is light / constant all the way through.

However, the HK45C trigger does not stack like the USP sometimes does - as in it does not gradually increase in weight through its pull.

IMHO it is the best of the SA/DA actions vs. CZ, Beretta, Sig - but again IMHO not as good as Glock or the M&P (depending on your Glock / M&P preference).

Felt recoil difference between the HK45C and my all-steel 1911 full-size is nil but my times with the HK45C are not as good as my times with my 1911 or my M&P for some reason. As another poster in another post suggested - that may be due to more of my time spent competing with the latter two though.

Out of habit, I clean the barrel and breech face of my HK45C every time I use it. But I detail strip it about a quarter as often as my 1911. Not because I think the HK45C is tougher but because it really doesn't get as dirty. Earlier, when I used to detail strip it as often as my 1911 - there just wasn't hardly any dirt to clean.

Standard rail and changeable grips are nice (but some lights that will fit an M&P still won't fit on the HK45C's rail).

Too bad it doesn't come out of the box with tritium sights - it comes with luminous - which requires exposure to light first.

Still prefer my 1911 as it has been reliable but the HK45C is most certainly a good gun overall.

While I still EDC my 1911 and compete with my Glock or M&P - my H&K45C is usually my truck / boat gun.

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
I've previously owned the HK45, HK45c and USPc45.

I have smaller hands, and everytime I try a non 1911 45 cal handgun, I always find it is just too big for my hands. Some have thinner gripos. But, the grip is still longer (front to back) than it is for the same model 9mm pistol.

The HK USPc 9mm fits my hand perfectly. The 45 cal USPc is just big enough to not be as comfortable. Even when I think it may just barely work, when I'm holding it at the gun store. It always ends up being too big for me in a 1 handed grip.

SO, I don't have any of those 45 cal HKs anymore.

However - when I did have the Hk45c, I found that I actually liked the texturing and grip of the USPc45 better. I had the USPc45 first, and thought I'd try out the HK45c. WIth my preference to the USPc45, I ended up selling it and using the $ for something else...

Now, I've just given up on 45 cal handguns that aren't a 1911. My last try was a Stoeger Cougar in 45 cal. It actually had less felt recoil than a 5" stainless Ed Brown 1911 I previously had. But, I only like guns with rubber grips now. And, once I added the rubber grips, the grip was just too fat.

If you like DA/SA, however - ya can't go wrong with the HK45c. It will run 100%. And, you can still do cocked and locked if ya really want to.

Here is a pic of when I had the two HK45s...

·
Registered
801 Posts
It's been pretty well covered, so I will just note that the reliability mentioned is true. I'm over 3000 now, and still have zero failures with ANY ammo.

Parts are difficult to find as noted, particularly hosters. And Magazines are the most expensive of any manufacture, that I am aware of.

I put on Mepro-Lights on my HK.45C. I very much like my HK.45C and have no issues recommending the gun to others.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Not bashing HK

I was looking for a reliable .40S&W not for my carry as I carry an Ed Brown and before that a kimber, Just wanted something to play with, I compared HK, Sig, and little known FN USA, For the price and the feel I bought the FNX in .40 and have been very happy with it not one failure in the 1000rnds I've fired, Its narrower than the HK and has a decocker and a safety so cocked and locked no problem. Its lighter than HK also and so very much cheaper, and if you like the option I think mine came with a total of 4 backstraps to adjust to your hand size also 3 mags. I'm not comparing to the M&P because I've never had one and I personally don't like striker fires. But if I was to carry that FNX I'd be happy to trust in its reliabilty.

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
I was looking for a reliable .40S&W not for my carry as I carry an Ed Brown and before that a kimber, Just wanted something to play with, I compared HK, Sig, and little known FN USA, For the price and the feel I bought the FNX in .40 and have been very happy with it not one failure in the 1000rnds I've fired, Its narrower than the HK and has a decocker and a safety so cocked and locked no problem. Its lighter than HK also and so very much cheaper, and if you like the option I think mine came with a total of 4 backstraps to adjust to your hand size also 3 mags. I'm not comparing to the M&P because I've never had one and I personally don't like striker fires. But if I was to carry that FNX I'd be happy to trust in its reliabilty.
This topic spooks me enough about the FNX:

http://www.fnforum.net/fnx-9-apparently-won-t-fire-when-it-s-warm-outside-vid-t28121.html

Plus, I had an FNP once. Got sick of cases hitting me in the head. And, the mag springs sucked on the FNP 9mm mags. I hear that the FNX springs are stronger, though...

·
Registered
299 Posts
I love my HK USPc .40 to death, and love the trigger/sight radius on the HK45c even more... that being said, don't buy one so there will be more available for me. If they weren't as expensive as they are I would own one right now, however I think I should save a bit longer.

·
Banned
279 Posts
I have three HK USP's, regular size, compact, and tactical. All have been accurate and reliable. I know nothing out there for the price can touch them because the HK USP won the recent military trials for a pistol.

The only HK USP I haven't shot (but would like to) is the recently discontinued model 23 which is a beast for carry but must be great for military and special ops work.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heckler_&_Koch_USP

·
Registered
405 Posts
Not the HK USP Compact, but the new HK45 Compact. Thinking about picking one up today as a EDC. I'm looking for a good trouble free .45acp. I love my 1911's but they are a little more picky then any HK, M&P or GLOCK I've ever owned.

I've been carrying a full size 1911 for over five years now but I've gotten lazy about cleaning my guns with a new 15 month old baby in the house, I just don't have the time!

Anyway I thought an HK45C might be a good option for next to zero maintenance firearm that is virtually 100% reliable.

I have 8 1911's, a mixture of COLT's, Springfield's and Kimber's so I wouldn't say I'm hating on 1911's or anything. Just looking for something a little less picky.

I do currently have one of the Smith and Wesson M&P .45acp Mid-Compact (full frame w/ 4 inch slide) and it is a fine gun but frankly it isn't even in the same class as anything HK makes. If I'm going to use it for a EDC to protect my family, I want it to be as reliable as it can be.

HK for the win quality wise, hands down when it comes to poly framed pistols.
I have one and use it for my EDC. It was purchased specifically for that purpose to replace a USP 45C that I carried for years. As others have said, HK is pretty proud of additional mags and they don't come cheap. In regards to holsters, I recommend Price Western. Contact Ron @ PWLUSA and he will get you taken care of. Also thinking about going with the Heinie sights down the road.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Love It

My daughter is small framed and can shoot it excellent. She has issues as far as hand size. It is her CCW.
The gun itself-Its an HK- enough said

·
Premium Member
2,178 Posts
I want one. The HK 45c is on my list.

My USP/c .40 has been the most reliable gun I have ever owned. No failures in 13 years.

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
My HK45C is one of my most reliable and well liked .45 handguns. I traded a Springfield TRP for it if that tells you anything. I initially second guessed my decision to do that but no longer do...

·
Registered
331 Posts
For me, the 45C is what I carry when I want a .45 and don't want a 1911. Mine has been very reliable, has 8 plus 1 capacity in a frame only a little bigger than an officer size 1911, and with the LEM trigger is still close enough in feel to my striker fired duty weapons that it does not adversely affect me.

I do agree with the above poster that I prefer the slightly more aggressive grip texture of the USP 45c. The gun is not slick to me, but I would appreciate a little more grippiness. To me, the biggest failing is the short rail on the front of the pistol. HK finally moved away from their proprietary rail used on the USPs, but then made it too short to accomodate a full sized weaponlight such as the X300. This is not enough to keep me from carrying it as a solid off duty choice, however.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
I love my Colt's but my HK pistols are my "go-to" sidearms. The dead nuts reliability and accuracy of HK products make them worth every penny to me.

You made a great choice OP. Well done. :)

·
Premium Member
2,791 Posts
I'[d love to have one. My USP .40 is awesome. I do wish the grip was a little bigger and grippier on the sides, but not enough to stop me from carrying it. The trigger is about as good as it gets in a plastic gun, IMO. I would get another HK in a second.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts