1911Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
685 Posts
It is Sig assembling and finishing, by hands according to them, a 1911 platform pistol with parts from other manufacturers. Which include the Caspain slide and frame.
Which BTW is the samething that Wilson does. All of their parts are made by outside sources to their specifications and assembled and finished by Wilson.

·
Registered
836 Posts
I think Jake is correct, it appears though, that SIG is buying blank frames and slides from Caspian and then doing their own final machining. Or, Caspian is doing propriatary machining for Sig. Sigs slides is clearly unique to Sig as well as the recon frame. It is not the standard recon frame from Caspian.

I'm curious about the barrel...

·
Registered
827 Posts
a high end parts gun

But you got to admit, they are nice looking parts.

Other than the rail, I really like it.
Maybe SIG will make a version without the rail.

·
Registered
685 Posts
I had my first opportunity today to check out the new SIG GSR at Pop Guns here in Indy today.
Pop's is usually a little expensive compared to the other local dealers and this was no exception. A stainless GSR was listed at $990.00
This gun was serial number GSR 000857 (if I remember correctly)
At first glance I liked it and I usually don't care for stainless guns, but I liked the the lines of the slide. I do not like the light rail, only because I don't want one and don't need one (I am not busting down doors and chasing people, I would put a light on a nightstand gun if that was its only use.) The Sig looked ok with it on the there.
I picked up the gun and you can tell the difference in balance with the light rail, but it felt good to the hand. I dropped the mag with ease and racked the slide, all was smooth all the way through. Did this a couple of times and checked the slide to frame fit which was very nice, no noticeable movement in any direction and pressing on the barrel hood showed no movement either.
Since it usually pisses the guys off behind the counter I did not drop the slide on an empty chamber.
I then started to notice a few things, the thumb safety was kinda cheap feeling. It also would not snick on and off either, it felt like it drug a little. The beavertail felt funny, not loose or anything, just different and on inspection it is. Instead of the memory groove I am use to it is kind of rounded out in the middle, I didn't care for it.
I will also tell you that I like checkering, 30 LPI up front and 20 LPI on the mainspring, but the serrations on the Sig didn't feel bad, but just not checkering you know.
At the base of the frame where the mainspring housing inserts were two fangs that would dig two nice ragged holes in your hand in a very short time. That really didn't impress me for a gun that is supposed to be hand finished. All you had to do was pick it up and grip it a little tight and you would have felt these. I even showed it to the guy behind the counter and he was surpised to feel them. I guess the guy who test fired this one must have had a glove on?!?!
The trigger, well it had some creep and was heavy, I would say 6-6.5 pounds. I would describe it as sloppy feeling. Even the SW1911 I had was heavy but it broke real nice, I couldn't say this about this trigger, it felt mushy if that makes sense.
Sights were nice, hell their Novaks can't go wrong there, same with the magazine, I liked it. It felt very nice, no rattles, solid.
Overall I was kinda luke warm to the gun. I wouldn't buy it because of the lightrail. This one didn't impress me with the thumb safety, trigger and the sharpness on the grip frame. I did like the look of the slide and the flat top on it. I think it has potential and I like the fact that there are no MIM parts. As far as fitting, well I think it will be a shooter.
I will tell you that after I handed it back I ask to see the blued 1991a1 Colt below it that was $400 less. Trigger was excellent, thumb safety was solid and snicked on and off the way it is supposed to and I couldn't find a sharp edge or corner on it anywhere. It was fitted pretty nice too, just a little bit of slide to frame movement right to left. Slap some Novaks on it, a commander hammer, S&A beavertail and mainspring checker the front strap and you would be hard pressed to do any better unless you wanted to go to a Wilson,RRA, Baer or Brown.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I think that I read on the SIG Forum that eventually SIG plans on taking over production and making them entirely in-house. I suppose that would depend on the popularity of the gun, and the cost-effectiveness of it. I never thought of myself as a collector, but having heard that I had to make sure that I bought one of these first run models, in case the production changes. No telling whether the sourced parts model would be better than an all in-house model, but I'm sure if it happens I'll have one of each.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Did the front sight stick past the slide?I have noticed in several magazines that the front sight hangs past the end of the slide.It looks like they beveled the edge of the slide but didn't take into account the finished length of the front sight.Looks like it would be real easy to snag it on stuff.Or did they correct this before they released them for sale.

·
Registered
367 Posts
RoyP said:
Did the front sight stick past the slide?I have noticed in several magazines that the front sight hangs past the end of the slide.It looks like they beveled the edge of the slide but didn't take into account the finished length of the front sight.Looks like it would be real easy to snag it on stuff.Or did they correct this before they released them for sale.
Looks fine on mine.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Nice looking guns Robert, Which beavertail do you have on you Kimber? Did it drop in or did it have to be fitted? Thanks..................

·
Registered
367 Posts
rblack said:
Nice looking guns Robert, Which beavertail do you have on you Kimber? Did it drop in or did it have to be fitted? Thanks..................
Thanks. It's an Ed Brown and it was fitted by Wilson. Some other parts were swapped too. It all started with the ambi-safety going south and needing to be replaced... and then I sort of spun out of control.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I see they must have corrected it then.Anybody else notice that in the photos?I am sure I am not the only one who has.Both of these pics came from Guns&Ammo march 2004 mag.The one with the sig on the cover page.

Attachments

·
Registered
384 Posts
If they are using Caspian frames and slides; then these are cast by Ruger in their Pine Tree facility; since Ruger casts all of Caspians stuff except for the Damascus. Ought to be pretty good parts.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts