1911Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am threatening to make an offer on DE Commander, 40 S&W. Besides the novelty of it, I am noting that it would be pretty easy to make a 10mm out of it :rock:

The ones I have seen are pretty good shooters, although of course it is a funky action system.

Opinions?:D

·
Registered
470 Posts
Maybe a snicker.

The way I see it. Buy all that you can afford in this state because it may not be long before you can't buy them at all. Depending on the price, I would buy it for the novelty factor as well. I'm still holding out for a Colt 38 super or 9mm in Commander configuration here in CA.. Although I think I will get one willed to me from my parents. Enjoy the 40. RB:cool:

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
No, I wouldn't laugh, I'd be interested in seeing it and shooting it. They're actually hard to find nowadays, almost a collector's item.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Yeah, I think I might laugh :). Seriously, if you like it, then it's a good gun for you ... and if the price were right, I would consider buying one.

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,219 Posts
I was toying with the idea of getting a .40 Commander for Production and or Stock Service Pistol competition. There were three or four such guns on one of the auction sites, and the prices were pretty reasonable. Definitely give us a report on how it runs.

·
Registered
564 Posts
I bought and sold a 45 cal Officer's model in 1995, I wish I had it back. All in all it was a good shooting gun and not real bad looking.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I shot one at FLETC Instructors course and the grip tore my hand up like nothing I had ever used. I didn't even get through one mag before my strong hand thumb was being chewed up by the grip. Maybe it was just me, but lots of us seemed to dislike this pistol. beyond that, it was a joy to play with, good trigger and good feel to it, just sucked when it went bang...

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well, I haggled the price down to $700 from the $900 asking price, and did the CA PPT transfer yesterday, so we'll try it in a couple weeks.

The right side is scuffed, but should refinish easily. There are three mags with it - 1 Colt & 2 Mecgar. The seller admitted it occasionally jams - which of course may be all the more reason to make a 10mm out of it.:D Odds are it runs better with the Colt mag.

The slide and barrel seems quite well fitted, perhaps there is good accuracy potential here. Just what I need, another project:D

·
Registered
400 Posts
tex_n_cal,
the Double Eagle's are nice pistols, I really like mine. They are a different looking Colt, I think the two eagles in the rollmark look more like seagulls though. The price you quoted sounds waaay out of line for a DE though, but if your ok with it don't look back. I have noticed the prices rising sharply on them lately and don't really understand why, hell the dealers couldn't give them away when they were still being manufactured. Mine is a series 90 Mark II, seems I read or heard some bad press on the Mark I's you may want to research that some. One other thing, take care of the grips, you will not be able to find another set of them. .02
Good Luck on your decision...

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yeah, in another state I'd hold out for a better deal. Hell, in another state I'd just buy another Delta or two or three, but anyway...:hrm:

Many Interesting Colts of recent mfr are not available for purchase in CA, unless a PPT, and I think there's actualy now a law that will require new pistols to have mag disconnects and loaded chamber indicators, but not until 2005 or 2006.

I actually am movng out of this state in 3 months or so, but I want to get things registered here so they're grandfathered in, should I move back in the future.

·
Registered
570 Posts
I carried a DE as primary duty weapon for 8 years. It was nice, but it'd be better if I had the double action trigger pull tuned up. I got a single ation now, and my first shot is much more reliable.

ken

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
a follow up...

...egad, it runs like a drunk sailor.

The previous owner admitted that it jammed "occasionally".

"Every other shot" would have been more accurate:(

Interesting that it has dual recoil springs, mounted on a standard guide plug. The recoil springs are wound the same direction, which means there are likely tangling problems during cycling. It feels over-spring to me.

It also has extraction problems - time to check the extractor.

Pics and follow up after I get it fixed. It actually is pretty accurate, and has a good trigger.

:D

·
Registered
38 Posts
Good Double Eagles

I have an Officer in .45 that is as good as they come. Funny thing about the DE Officer is that the barrel is 3.5 but the grip is full size and it uses standard mag. I have two 10mm full size's as well. Shoot great. If you search here you will find negative comments about the .40 as to reliability. I have no personal knowledge.

You can get new factory grips from Numrich, here is the link

http://www.e-gunparts.com/product.asp?chrProductSKU=192530C

love my DEs but the eagle sorta does look like a seagull :biglaugh:

Mike

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
When I get moved and settled into a new house, which will happen in the next few weeks, I'll be able to do more follow up work on getting the .40 DE fixed. Possibly a little more extractor work, possibly handloads with a bit longer OAL.

What I will REALLY like, however, is the ability to start acquiring more 10mm's, since I'll be in North Carolina at that point :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts