1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, with all the new models in the last 6 years, I wanted to ask what is your favorite model of Wilson, and what is your favorite model of the new stuff in the last 6 years. The Professional size in the XTAC pattern was added in 2017, the EDC X9 (now the SFX9) was added (I think) in 2018, the XTAC was added to the entire Supergrade line-up in all sizes in 2019, and of course there are all the models before that. Additionally, there was the Beretta/Wilson collaborations in 2016/2017 IIRC, and many before that - they are all valid here as favorites. What say everyone?

·
Registered
695 Posts
I prefer the traditional single stack 1911's. My favorite, and most useful to me Wilsons, are the Compacts and Commander sized models. I also prefer them with checkering where needed, not simulated lizard skin or whatever else some people want their pistols adorned with. I like 1911's with front and rear sites. I also like them without rails, and lights hanging off of them. Stocks need to be high grade wood with both sides more or less matching in color and figure. As for finish? I like polished blued steel, but would actually prefer the old style gloss black AT Wilson used to offer. Did I mention .38 Super?

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
My favorite of old stuff would be Tactical Supergrade Full-Size. Favorite of the new stuff would be Experior Commander Double-Stack. And my favorite that will be coming out soon is the SFX9 15-rounder with 4-inch barrel.

·
Premium Member
6,050 Posts
Old models, without question would be a Professional in .45. Blued steel, naked slide, gold bead front sight and a round butt mag well would be the most important options.

Of the new models it would be the 10 round SFX9 as it just fits a small niche in my carry wants. Just as accurate and easy to shoot as any of my traditional Wilson’s.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Old models, without question would be a Professional in .45. Blued steel, naked slide, gold bead front sight and a round butt mag well would be the most important options.

Of the new models it would be the 10 round SFX9 as it just fits a small niche in my carry wants. Just as accurate and easy to shoot as any of my traditional Wilson’s.
I've been looking hard at the SFX9 lately, but can't decide between the 10 or 15 round frame. 🤔

·
Registered
899 Posts
I don't know if it still counts as "new" but I like the features and looks of the Vickers Elite. That's my favorite of what I consider the new models. Most of the cosmetics on the newer guns don't appeal to me. I have an old CQB and a Supergrade Compact Tactical I love. That said, I do have an SFX9 10-rnd en route.

·
Super Moderator
15,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't know if it still counts as "new" but I like the features and looks of the Vickers Elite. That's my favorite of what I consider the new models. Most of the cosmetics on the newer guns don't appeal to me. I have an old CQB and a Supergrade Compact Tactical I love. That said, I do have an SFX9 10-rnd en route.
I had forgot about the Vickers Elite in the last six years, but that is actually one of the "new models" in the last six years. I do like the wide cocking serrations on it, but I prefer Blued carbon steel to A/T finish (that is personal preference, not functionality preference). The Tactical Supergrade Professional is the first Supergrade I got, but the first Professional size Wilson I got was the first XTAC Professional ever made; I really prefer the XTAC grip, even though the TSG Pro (with 30 lpi checkering) is the one I carry every day. I intended the XTAC Pro (both the TSG Pro and the XTAC Pro are in .45 ACP) as my EDC, but the provenance of it being the first XTAC in Professional size became a consideration in carry, so the TSG Pro became the EDC.

I love blued guns with wood grips, or blued guns with mammoth tooth grips or ivory grips, but even my A/T'ed guns are beautiful (to me).

The first time I held an EDC X9 prototype, and fired it during one of the proof tests, I was enamored with the light weight, compact grip that actually fit my hand, and feel of the gun during live-fire - it was a solid performing gun. This was before they were announced, and I got my order in before they were announced (as I was one of the evaluators of the last prototype before it went into production). My brother got the serial number after mine (low 200's) and it is his EDC.

Reactions: colrhino

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Sadly none. I was a big Wilson fan, seems like they are struggeling with direction and feel like throwing more :poop: against the wall will work.

Reactions: coyotebuster

·
Premium Member
831 Posts
An interesting question. For carry, I have an ULCC in .45 from before it became a package, and it’s still my favorite. Even though I sometimes carry the X9 or a Kimber K6, the ULCC is what I feel most comfortable with. I like the XTAC, but it’s not that much different for me than the checkering, and I like the history/comfort of the checkering.

For shooting, I shoot the X9 the best, but I have a hard time “bonding” with it. I really like the full size ULC package in 9 or 38Super or the basic CQB in 45. I find all the new packages pretty or interesting, but I’m too pragmatic, I guess, to want to own.

For all packages, I prefer the reverse two tone - that’s fancy for my tastes. Blue is OK. Wood grips a must. In a leather holster.

·
Premium Member
5,660 Posts
I really like the Full Size ACP. The refinement and simplicity are amazing. I haven’t bought one yet but it’s on my bucket list.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I like my blued full size CQB... a blued pistol is my favorite finish. My first Wilson is my X-tac compact. I really like this one as well. But the other day I was looking at my EDC X9 and really thought to myself what a wonderful feat of engineering perfection. In my opinion, as much as I hate to admit it, it is the best self-defense weapon. This is coming from a diehard single stack 1911 person. (27 years carrying a single stack 1911).

·
Super Moderator
15,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sadly none. I was a big Wilson fan, seems like they are struggeling with direction and feel like throwing more :poop: against the wall will work.
Interesting perspective. Last I heard, the X9 line-up is accounting for almost half their pistol sales. I know that the EDC X9 was just over 2 years in development, and underwent extensive testing both at the development facility and at the ranges it got "torture tested" on, by several gun guys (like Ken Hackathorn and several of Bill's other friends); that does not seem to me as though they are struggling with direction, but that's just my opinion and purely my own. I can see though how others might see it differently.

Reactions: Sarge1998

·
Super Moderator
15,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So far, I guess my favorite is the last one I got - my retirement gun: a lightweight frame comped barrel Professional CQB in .38 Super with 25 lpi checkering, round butt magwell, domed gold bead front sight, and stainless slide with polished flats. Each one of my Wilsons has a special place in my inventory, from the first Baron blued full sized CQB (.45), to the retirement gun. The Baron blued CQB is eight years old now, and has just over 8k rounds through it, but still smooth as glass.

Reactions: colrhino

·
Registered
66 Posts
Interesting perspective. Last I heard, the X9 line-up is accounting for almost half their pistol sales. I know that the EDC X9 was just over 2 years in development, and underwent extensive testing both at the development facility and at the ranges it got "torture tested" on, by several gun guys (like Ken Hackathorn and several of Bill's other friends); that does not seem to me as though they are struggling with direction, but that's just my opinion and purely my own. I can see though how others might see it differently.
I can't see Wilson struggling with anything. They are expanding their plant size. That tells me something.

·
Super Moderator
15,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
And fine classics they are DouglasS, fine indeed!

Reactions: DouglasS

·
Registered
13,616 Posts
My favorite is the old full size Supergrade…both the “Classic” and the “Tactical”.

For a traditional 1911 enthusiast, those two models have to be the ones.

For 1911 innovations (but still arguably 1911s), I’ll take the Carry Comp and the old double-comp-chambered Hunter.

I’m glad that the quasi-1911 based designs have worked so well for so many people; this has been a win-win for everyone connected with Wilson, even customers like me who stay with the traditional 1911…in the big picture, it has effectively ”raised all boats”.

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
@Grandpas50AE there you said it, their best selling gun even isn't a 1911, nobody sees the irony in that :oops:

I'd say that's a struggle with direction.

I love my 4 Wilsons but can imagine what would prompt me to buy another especially with 38 super out of the line-up.

Revolver Everyday carry Air gun Wood Knife

Bookcase Grey Everyday carry Gun accessory Air gun

Air gun Trigger Everyday carry Wood Gun barrel

Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Wood Everyday carry

·
Super Moderator
15,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
@Grandpas50AE there you said it, their best selling gun even isn't a 1911, nobody sees the irony in that :oops:

I'd say that's a struggle with direction.

I love my 4 Wilsons but can imagine what would prompt me to buy another especially with 38 super out of the line-up.

View attachment 622902
View attachment 622901
View attachment 622900
View attachment 622903
I see your perspective, and I don't disagree at all, but they still make classic 1911's that are both functional and aesthetic. I have seen the facility they were in 8 years ago, and the facility they are in now is more than impressive. The number of people employed there has grown considerably, and all of them that I have met are very happy to work for a business that treats their employees as family. The new products they've added, whether a particular person values it or not, have ensured that they survive as a company and continue to back their products well into the future. This is not a bad thing IMO, just something that some folks will appreciate and others will not necessarily see as a positive direction.

Take for example the inclusion in the last few years of every 1911 they make having the Challis grip bushing system - a decided plus for everyone, but not "traditional" to be sure. The "Bullet Proof Parts" inclusion on all 1911's starting in 2015 - again not necessarily "traditional" but advantageous to both the company and its customers as far as I can tell.

Definitely not calling you out at all, as I can see your perspective, but I'm presenting the perspective of many, many customers of the new lines and improvements that may not consider it a loss of direction.

And yes, I see the irony in that, but I also realize that they still make classic 1911's AND a product that is "1911-ish" that many customers value highly. Not everybody will be pleased with every manufacturer's complete line-up, be it watches, motorcycles, cars, or whatever else.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts