1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone carry their Sig Ultra (or any 1911) in a
Small Of the Back holster?

Please chime in and share your experience.

I've heard so many mixed reviews.
Some hate it others have done it for years and would
never go back to IWB.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have about every holster except for a Small of the Back for my Sig Ultra. Previous experience with them don't allow comfort when sitting for long periods of time.

·
Registered
920 Posts
I have used just about every holster made in the last thirty plus years I have carried a pistol. Waist, ankle, SOB, chest... you name it. That includes two small of the back holsters. One outside the waistband and one inside the waistband.
I would encourage you to think about it before you lay down your hard earned money for one. The theory is a nice one but in reality I found it problematic.
The outside the waistband holster I had was always catching my shirt and the pistol was visible when I was not aware of it. I would sit down or lean over and the shirt stayed up instead of falling down and keeping the pistol/holster concealed.
The inside the waistband one still "printed" through the shirts and caught the shirts after sitting or bending over, but not as much as the outside the waistband.
Both holsters put pressure on my spine and were not comfortable to sit down with for any period of time.
Then there is the problem of the ability to do any kind of weapon retention with the SOB holster. With the weapon behind you your opponent has a superior position and probably the element of surprise. You are way behind in the ODDA (Observe, Detect, Decide, Act) circle.
After all the money spent and time studying the best place to carry, I found the best place is still on your weapon hand side at waist level. Either inside the waistband or out.
Good luck.

·
Banned
1,976 Posts
You can use a left hand IWB for SOB.

The Ultra conceals SOB quite nicely for me. Not how I carry, however.

3:00 does not conceal well for me. If it does for others, great.

Some people worry about someone grabbing the pistol from behind. But this is not improved one bit by 3:00 or 4:00 carry. The risk is just as bad. Might even be easier to snatch from behind at 3:00 than SOB.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Even though there are several old threads on this subject, I'll just briefly throw my $.02 in.
I carried my Sig 1911 Compact in a Galco Check Six for a short time and here are the reasons I stopped:
1. Uncomfortable when seated.
2. Impossible for me to draw while seated in my truck.
3. Falling on it could be crippling if directly over the spine.
4. Holster liked to rotate from approx. center of my back
to either left or right; I like my holster and gun to be in the same place
every time.
5. When drawing, it was uncomfortable for my shoulder to swing out and
then rotate forward.
6. Finally, I cant see my holster so I wouldn't know if it was visible to
someone else.
Just my experiences. YMMV. You can get an SOB holster for cheap either new or at your next gun show. Give it a try. Good Luck!

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all your input.

Sounds like there are more cons than pros.
I may do it but only if I get a cheap holster to start of with.

As far as not seeing the weapon, that's fine by me, I don't see it
anyway where I carry it now. It's always at about 5 o'clock.
So going to 6 o'clock is not that much of a difference and it looks
like the grip might be in almost the same place as the 5 o'clock
position.

Anyway, thanks again for your input.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I appendix carry my commander sized 1911 at 12:30, or open carry at 3:00.

I dont carry anything behind me.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I appendix carry my commander sized 1911 at 12:30, or open carry at 3:00.

I don't carry anything behind me.

I have never carried appendix style simply because
it looks like it would be hard to sit down with a gun in
that area.

Need to look into this.

·
Banned
1,976 Posts
Appendix carry is very uncomfortable for me, and not good on concealment for me either. Others find it differently.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Just my experience. I tried SOB many years ago and did not like it for all the reasons mentioned above. Tried it again last year with a different SOB holster. Still no go. I would suspect a ton of them available used. Buy cheap, try it and if like my experience - sell it!

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have used just about every holster made in the last thirty plus years I have carried a pistol. Waist, ankle, SOB, chest... you name it. That includes two small of the back holsters. One outside the waistband and one inside the waistband.
I would encourage you to think about it before you lay down your hard earned money for one. The theory is a nice one but in reality I found it problematic.
The outside the waistband holster I had was always catching my shirt and the pistol was visible when I was not aware of it. I would sit down or lean over and the shirt stayed up instead of falling down and keeping the pistol/holster concealed.
The inside the waistband one still "printed" through the shirts and caught the shirts after sitting or bending over, but not as much as the outside the waistband.
Both holsters put pressure on my spine and were not comfortable to sit down with for any period of time.
Then there is the problem of the ability to do any kind of weapon retention with the SOB holster. With the weapon behind you your opponent has a superior position and probably the element of surprise. You are way behind in the ODDA (Observe, Detect, Decide, Act) circle.
After all the money spent and time studying the best place to carry, I found the best place is still on your weapon hand side at waist level. Either inside the waistband or out.
Good luck.
This. My experience also. Waistline carry on strong side, either IWB or OWB.
One other thing to think about....if you fall or pushed down, it's very hard to draw and you could injure your back.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This. My experience also. Waistline carry on strong side, either IWB or OWB.
One other thing to think about....if you fall or pushed down, it's very hard to draw and you could injure your back.

I've read this "if you fall" argument against SOB holsters.
But if everyone lived like that no one would ever leave their houses
with their glasses on.

There has to be a more compelling argument against it.

I'm going to try a cheap SOB holster and then see what it FEELS like.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
"There has to be a more compelling argument against it."
I don't know about anyone else, but paralysis is pretty compelling.
If you fall with a gun on your hip or slightly behind, there's a decent amount of body tissue that can absorb some of the blow. With a chunk of steel in line with your spine, falling on that could be a life changer. I realize that the chances of falling are low, but the chances are even lower that you'll ever be involved in a self defense shooting, but you choose to carry anyway. Just food for thought. Good luck.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
"There has to be a more compelling argument against it."
I don't know about anyone else, but paralysis is pretty compelling.
If you fall with a gun on your hip or slightly behind, there's a decent amount of body tissue that can absorb some of the blow.

I understand the reasoning very well but if I had at least heard of several cases of this, in all of gun history, or even one, then the argument would be more compelling.

That's all I'm saying.

This is why I used the eyeglass sample.
I've actually heard of people losing their sight because they either fell on their glasses or someone punched them in the face.
Losing your sight is also compelling but people still leave their houses with glasses on.

I just haven't heard of anyone - not a single person - who fell on their gun that's resting in the curve of their backs and becoming paralyzed as a result.

Many of the tens of thousands of people who carry at 5 o'clock have the grip in nearly the same place as where the 6 o'clock SOB holster would leave it.

Now, as far as the draw time, aim time, and all that, that's pretty convincing and definitely worth the consideration. Because of that I'm going to try just a cheap simple one and see if it's my style or not.
But the falling and becoming paralyzed.....well, I would just like to have heard of several cases of it happening before it affected my decision.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Certainly valid points. I have never heard of anyone becoming paralyzed from falling on their gun either, however I know of two people who have slipped and fallen on ice who are now permanently paralyzed. Falls account for roughly 25% of paralysis cases. Admittedly types of falls aren't specified, but there is no doubt that falls from slipping and falling onto the spine account for some of those statistics. While accidents can happen, I try to mitigate the chances of serious injury i.e. wearing seatbelts, having fire extinquishers, etc. and not having a gun over my spine. These are just my reasons for not SOB carrying; It's likely that most of us don't know of a single instance of paralysis or injury from SOB carry but with so many other options it's not worth the risk to me. Good luck, stay safe, and God Bless! We've got some upstanding folks on this forum and I just hope that we all stay safe.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I've read this "if you fall" argument against SOB holsters.
But if everyone lived like that no one would ever leave their houses
with their glasses on.

There has to be a more compelling argument against it.

I'm going to try a cheap SOB holster and then see what it FEELS like.
I'm a lawman, and have carried a majority of my life. I've been in some knock out drag outs. These type of fights always end up on the ground, hence ground fighting. Drawing from behind your back while on your back is difficult and if someone is straddling you, next to impossible. It could be done, but practice and muscle memory must take place. I personally try to reduce my disadvantages during social engagements. To each his own. Advice is from someone's hindsight. Some just have to learn on their own. Stay safe.

·
Banned
1,976 Posts
LEO's face different situations than citizens are likely to encounter.

If one slips in a manner to fall directly on the spine, damage can occur without a gun present. A meteor can fall and hit you as well. Each individual just has to weigh the risk.

·
Registered
57 Posts
LEO's face different situations than citizens are likely to encounter.
I agree, we generally run towards trouble whereas a citizen doesn't . But I meant plainclothes/under cover. You have to weigh your risk. Like riding your hog.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts