1911Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Working on two Defenders...Defender 1 has been Tefloned by Bear Cote...looks gorgeous but the bead blasting took off the nickel plating on the feed ramp and now one mag of HP just chews up the feed ramp.

The other Def has not yet been Tefloned, several mags full of Black Talons have not even marred the feed ramp.

Solutions?

Gun 1...install EGW steel feed ramp..or..

Does anyone make ramped Defender barrel?

Gun 2.. Proactively tell Bear Cote to not blast the ramp and teflon there, or Hard chrome the gun first?...or

Install steel ramp..or

or screw the Teflon and do titanium nitride? Any recs as to who does this finish?

·
Premium Member
7,079 Posts
Good questions.

I'd install an EGW steel feed ramp and have it Black-t'd......Birdsong.

Chuck

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
I dont have a solution, just a comment.

The EGW feed ramp will cure one problem, but I dont like the Black-T finish I have on one of my Commanders.

·
Premium Member
937 Posts
Hi Wildalaska, Do the EGW ramp, it's a NICE unit, NO plating will permitly fix your problem! The EGW ramp will. I think you maybe asking for trouble with a ramped 45 barrel.

------------------
Metal Smith

The only thing I know for sure is what I can measure!
NRA Life Member

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally posted by pistolwrench:
Good questions.

I'd install an EGW steel feed ramp and have it Black-t'd......Birdsong.

Chuck
Why do you reccomend Black T over Bear Cote? The Black T I have seen does not look as good as Bear Cote and their turnaround is far to long and customer service sucks.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Originally posted by Metal Smith:
Hi Wildalaska, Do the EGW ramp, it's a NICE unit, NO plating will permitly fix your problem! The EGW ramp will. I think you maybe asking for trouble with a ramped 45 barrel.

Does the EGW unit weld in or pin in? And why do you feel a ramped bbl is a problem?

·
Registered
563 Posts
Pistol wrench can do either. Walter is a busy man, and quality work takes time. I like his Black-T finish.Ramped barrels in 45 ACP are redundant but Chuck can make them reliable. A feed ramp is a good choice too, because it will allow you various barrel changes in the future.

·
Premium Member
2,130 Posts
Originally posted by Wildalaska:
Does the EGW unit weld in or pin in? And why do you feel a ramped bbl is a problem?
NO, we don't get to weld the alum to the steel, yet

problem is on the ramp barrel, with 8 rounds and large hole hollow points the bullet strikes below the feed ramp. Plus if you saw Chuck's awesome photo of the ramp job he did they take some serious metal removal to get to work. (the picture shows the booster ramp on the frame very well)

geo ><>

·
Premium Member
937 Posts
The ramp is inserted to a guage fit and held with a screw under the slide stop.

------------------
Metal Smith

NRA Life Member

·
Registered
617 Posts
I'm showing my ignorance here folks..I thought the only way to fix a maulded up feed ramp in a colt was to put in a new ramp barrel. Would some one be kind enough to explain to me about EGW steel feed ramp and rough installation..I've passed up some great deals in the past because of buchered throat jobs and this sounds like one of the better solutions.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
937 Posts
Hi Shootist2121, this is a very clever solution by George Smith @ EGW, basicly, you mill out the aluminum feed ramp and install a steel feed ramp insert and lock it with a set-screw under the slide stop, works great!

Best thing to come a along since a cold can of beer, for aluminum frames that is,
Pete

------------------
Metal Smith

NRA Life Member

[This message has been edited by Metal Smith (edited 11-12-2001).]

·
Registered
23 Posts
Howdy. I have a Colt CCO that Denver 45 had for about 9 months. Returned 5 times for work not done or done incorrectly. Bear Cote finish and now hp's simply go straight into feed ramp and tear it up. I sent it to Colt with a letter explaining the problem. Four phone calls and two months later ( during which time they kept refusing to tell me what they felt was wrong or how they would repair it) I got the gun back. The feed ramp problem was not fixed or even addressed. Instead they did several things which I did not request and were not needed. Total charge $112. The gun was flawless before the Bear Cote. Reading the posts here it sounds as though the hardened coating on the feed ramp has been taken off. Is it possible for Colt to fix this? If not, does anyone know how to contact EGW? Your time and advice is appreciated. Thank you.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
lomas, It sounds as though the anodizing, which is a process which adds both surface hardness and, if desired, color to the aluminum was removed. Mfr's. normally anodize their frames to allow them to work in conjunction with the harder steel components of the gun without undue wear or damage to the aluminum. You can have the frame reanodized which would solve your immediate problem of the feed ramp damage or as pointed out, you can have someone install the steel feedramp insert. This is a steel insert, which is machined into the aluminum frame in the feed ramp area and permanently installed. This solves the problem of damage to the feed ramp, since it's now steel and much harder than the various bullets used, and it can be done without having to refinish the entire frame in some cases.

·
Registered
23 Posts
donw, the entire frame must be reanodized, no way to just do feed ramp? Which do you believe is the more reliable, durable, etc. option, reanodizing or the steel insert? Thank you.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Sorry, but you can't just anodize part of the frame, as it is an immersion process and requires the frame to be stripped. Under the circumstances, I'd opt for the insert. It will outlast the gun, and you'll never have to worry about the anodizing coming off. Also, in this instance, you MAY not have to refinish the frame and incur the extra cost.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts