1911Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another question from a knife dummy...
My new SOG Flash-1 has a small toggle to lock the blade closed. Twice I've taken it out of my pocket and found it locked, unable to deploy. Is there some way to disable the safety? I'd hate to need to open it quickly only to find it locked.

·
Registered
559 Posts
i don't have a definite answer for you but i have a SOG Flash I on the way to me as well...

if i find the same problem i will prob use something akin to superglue to secure the locking mech in the UNLOCKED position perminently.

can you give me your thoughts on the knife so far?

·
Premium Member
20,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It hasn't gotten much use yet, but it seems to be a decent, well-fit knife. This is my first "tactical" piece, so I don't have much to compare it to. The assisted opening design is great!

·
Registered
189 Posts
AZ,

Glad to see you like the Flash I! I bought a Flash II for my brother's b-day, and now I find myself in need of one :D

I currently have a SOG Mini X-Ray and enjoy the bayonet clip that will hide it in your pocket. I like your super glue idea...I imagine I'll do the same thing on mine when I get it. The only downside might be that it could deploy when you pull it out of your pocket. That was happening to the X-Ray...the thumb-stud would get caught on a lip in my pants and pull half way out...made it very difficult for quick access. I ended up just removing the thumb-stud (the X-Ray has a different locking mechanism that allows you to flip your wrist while holding the lock...the blade will come out very nicely...it returns home the same way, with a flick of the wrist...basically I didn't need the thumb-stud). The stud on the Flash I is considerably smaller than the X-Ray, though...hopefully you won't run into that problem.

I've called the SOG 800 number a few times and they were very helpful. I'm not sure they would recommend a way to circumvent a safety feature, but it might not hurt to ask :) You could also try to disassebly the knife, depending on how it is put together...then check out the function of the safety.

Travis

·
Premium Member
20,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Travis. I can just picture myself taking the last screw out and seeing springs flying off to never-never land. I'll try to call SOG, but I'm sure they won't tell me how to override the safety. It's happened twice more, I go to deploy the knife and it's locked itself in my pocket. Not a good thing!

·
Registered
189 Posts
Lol! I hear ya on the disassembly. When I pick one up, I might go for the tear-down, just for the heck of it. Not sure yet, though. If you don't mind, please let me know what SOG says, and which way you decide to go.

Thanks!

Travis

·
Registered
189 Posts
What was the outcome on this AZ?

Travis

·
Premium Member
20,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No resolution. SOG won't comment on it since they can't condone removal of a saftey device. I may just go with the Super Glue.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Yeah, I figured SOG wouldn't go for it. I thought of something the other day...depending on how you like to deploy the knife, you may be able to remove the bayonet-sytle clip and then put it on the other side. Maybe the safety switch is being flipped when you rub against something, and it presses the knife against your leg. Know what I mean?:cool:

Travis

·
Premium Member
20,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah Travis, the clip can be switched, but then it wouldn't deploy correctly for me. The small locking lever is sticking out some. I'll try to grind it back flush.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Now that's probably the best idea yet...I didn't even think of that one. Filing it back (or, in my case, using a Dremel:rock: will probably keep it from getting unintentionally flipped. And it will still be functional...super glue is a bit permanent!

Travis

1 - 11 of 11 Posts