1911Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Hornady LnL powder measure and would leave my powder in the hopper instead of pouring the powder back into the jug after my reloading session. Well the powder in the hopper caused the plastic to shrink making it very loose.

During yesterdays session while seating and crimping I pulled down on the press handle and the vibration caused the hopper to pop off the powder measure dumping a full pound of powder onto the bench and floor(berber carpet) making a huge mess and complete loss of $30.00 dollars worth of powder. So anyone starting out with the LnL powder measure don't leave the powder in the hopper overnight(I knew better!!) Stay safe and Merry Xmas to all.:D

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
I can't see how that could happen overnight. I've left powder in the Hornady powder measure, when I had one, for weeks without issue. What can happen is the plastic can discolour.

·
Premium Member
3,704 Posts
I'd be focusing on what caused the vibration and making sure everything was assembled correctly. A whole lot of folks leave powder in the hopper and that's the first time I've heard of powder causing the plastic to shrink.

·
Banned
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It was not just one night....the total time frame was around six months with multiple powders...I called Hornady and they have said this happens more often then not. they said leaving powder in the the plastic hopper over time causes the plastic to shrink along with discolorization.

They said to prevent this pour your powder back into the jug after every session...they are sending me a new hopper for free(great customer service)...one thing I think also affected it is I have my press right next to my powder measure(might be too cloose causesing the powder measure to absorb the vibration when lowering the press handle.

·
Registered
250 Posts
One of the cardinal rules of handloading is to never leave powder in your measure when you finish a loading session. I haven't read one for a while but I think the manual that comes with a powder measure tells you that. Aside from it attacking the plastic reservoir, it's easy to forget what powder it is and accidentally load some sticks of dynamite the next time.

Ed

·
Banned
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
One of the cardinal rules of handloading is to never leave powder in your measure when you finish a loading session. I haven't read one for a while but I think the manual that comes with a powder measure tells you that. Aside from it attacking the plastic reservoir, it's easy to forget what powder it is and accidentally load some sticks of dynamite the next time.

Ed
True that Ed...luckily I always use a label maker and attach a label to the hopper with the current powder being used.

·
Banned
3,089 Posts
I did the same. I recovered most of my powder as the clear plastic tube landed upside down on my bench with the top still in place. Also, my bench is clean and I swept up what landed on the bench and kept it.

Mine is now secured in place via liquid nails.

·
Banned
3,089 Posts

Ed
I keep the jug sitting next to the press and only have one jug near the bench at a time. No question what's in there. Obviously it attacked the plastic hopper though :(

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
I have two LnL PM and a dispenser that I've left different handgun powders in for a day or two and longer a few times. yes it discolored the hoppers slightly but that didn't bother me.
I don't know exactly why but the big issue came when I left rifle powder in overnight. It etched marks into the hopper and literally stuck to the sides making me scrap it off.I'm not sure the difference in the powders but I think the worst offender was AA-2640 and CFE-223.
I really thought I messed up my 350$ RCBS Chargemaster. I'm more careful and less lazy now and clean up the hoppers properly as I do the rest of my bench area.

·
Banned
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I did the same. I recovered most of my powder as the clear plastic tube landed upside down on my bench with the top still in place. Also, my bench is clean and I swept up what landed on the bench and kept it.

Mine is now secured in place via liquid nails.
Hey Denver the liquid nail wont eat away at the plastic...great idea because the easy release bushing allows for dumpin of powder....make the hopper a permenant piece (liquid nail)

·
Registered
5,584 Posts
I wonder if a particular powder would be more damaging to the hopper than another powder. They are all a different formula. I have left powder in my Dillon hoppers for months with no problems. I label the lid with what is in the hopper. Just wondering out loud.

·
Premium Member
602 Posts
I can't see how that could happen overnight. I've left powder in the Hornady powder measure, when I had one, for weeks without issue. What can happen is the plastic can discolour.
I have left powder in the Hornady powder measure for years without a problem.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I don't know what the chemical that makes powder attack plastic is but some powders have more of it than others and some plastics are more prone to it than others.

Ed

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
since i only use one powder for my pistol re-loading, and am at my bench ever day or so, i don't dump out my powder. Over time, my plastic hopper has gotten soft near the bottom, and a bit wrinkly and loose. So i have spare new hoppers, and from time to time i just install a new one; cheap from Hornady. Before i screw a new hopper into the iron base, i sand or file a bevel on the bottom, so i can then screw it down tightly. I don't use any glue as eventually i replace them. Part of the consumable of re-loading.

I have different die and powder drop set-ups for different calibers, and when I switch out for a batch of another caliber, i do dump then unscrew and wash out the hopper; they last longer that way. Perhaps different powders affect the plastic in different ways.

Like earlier, i put a bevel on the bottom, then screw them in tight, and don't touch them, other than to gently remove the plastic cap for re-filling.

I am very happy with my LNL, by the way.

All the best....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts