1911Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
546 Posts
I like Ed Brown's original grip safety. Never really felt the need for a memory groove and once I did try it I thought it felt weird in my hand. Also, the bobtail looks like a fancy do wingy of little importance although the point they made about comfort while carrying may be valid as I have yet to actually hold a bobtailed gun in hand.
Them Ed Brown frames sure look alot like Baers or Rock Rivers too. Wonder what difference there is?

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
One thing I found interesting was the blurb implying Slide/Frame fit being intentionally a little loose. That's certainly a whole different theory than the Baer.

Here's the quote (out of context):
It is interesting to note the differences between custom guns. Some, for example, are so tight that you’d think they wouldn’t work and others seem so free and smooth that you’d wonder if they are going to be accurate. Interestingly enough Brown’s fall more toward that latter category.

There is no binding as the slide moves back and forth freely, but the gun locks up just as it should and shoots just fine. I’ve seen guns that are more accurate, but Brown points out that he’s not building Bullseye guns.

end-o-quote

[This message has been edited by Havoc (edited 08-19-2000).]

·
Banned
1,482 Posts
I had both the $2500 and $3500 Bobtail Compacts in my hot little hands Thursday night, and they were very, very sweet. I own a few Wilsons, a Baer and a Novak Hi Power. The Browns were the match of any of them. The Baer, of course, is the rock-tightest of them all. But I didn't sense the Browns were loose at all. The highest end Bobtail cycled smoothly, had a great trigger feel, and seemed to be an extremely well-constructed gun. I wasn't in a position to shoot it, so I don't know what it's like with pedal to the metal. But it would seem that, for the price, it should be a superior performer. There are absolutely no "bells and whistles" cosmetically. Either stainless or two-tone and that's it. I was thinking of buying the $2500'er in the Fall and send it to Novak for it's Special Ops Package, but I don't know if that would be sacreligious (sp?).

I love to hear more thoughts on the Browns, especially from those who have them. Anyone?

------------------
"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." --Thomas Jefferson to Charles Yancey, 1816.

·
Registered
3,078 Posts
I had a .38 Super made by Ed Brown until Friday. Mike Benedict owns it now. The gun is superbly built upon a les baer slide and frame. It's fully blued and fires VERY nicely. Damn accurate pistol.

I just got sick of switching from small primer to large primer. Hence selling the gun. Here's a pic of it:

·
Banned
1,482 Posts
Son, was there any performance difference you noticed between the Brown and the Wilsons you own? How about anything different in shooting the 38 special and the 45?

------------------
"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." --Thomas Jefferson to Charles Yancey, 1816.

·
Banned
1,482 Posts
Sorry, I meant 38 Super, not Special.

·
Banned
546 Posts
Havoc,
That is an interesting point about tightness.
RD Burns at http://burnscustom.com/ (see frame slide fit in left hand frame) made a very interesting point about slide tightness in one of his treatise about fit. Basically he disagreed with Kuhnhausen in the importance of a tight slide. And opined that a properly fit barrel in a loose slide gun will shoot very accurately. Makes sense to me if the bottom lugs are sitting dead straight and tight in the frame channel, and resting in full contact with the cross pin.
ociebell

[This message has been edited by ociebell (edited 08-20-2000).]

·
Registered
3,078 Posts
Performance wise, the Brown shot better then any of my Wilsons. Other then a ****ty bluing job, overall fit and finish was outstanding.

I firmly believe that a properly fitted barrel is imperative to overall accuracy. However, I have my reservations about those that claim slide/frame tightness. It seems to me those that constantly argue against tightness are ones that CAN NOT get a good slide to frame fit. I'm not saying that Mr. Burns can or can not because I never had any work done by him. Just basing this upon experiences with other smiths.

If tightness wasn't a issue, why would the major 1911 shops push out very tight pistols? This doesn't just include Les Baer, Wilson, RRA, etc. but also some of the smaller shops like Ed Brown, Novak, Steve Clark, Clark Custom, etc etc etc.

·
Banned
546 Posts
I suppose I can agree with that as a tight fit with seven bearing surface's would probably outlast and wear more consistently than a looser fit in the accuracy department over thousands and thousands of rounds.
Although a friend of mines Wilson is so tight it is difficult to field strip and I think would suffer reliability if not kept constantly squeeky clean.

·
Registered
3,078 Posts
I shot a Steve Clark Custom this past weekend in Missouri. The gun belongs to Master IDPA shooter Greg Martin. I was using it as a loaner until my ATP is finished. Although Steve Clark can be a prick at times, he can build guns.

The DCP (defensive combat pistol) was built on a Colt 1991A1. The amazing thing was, 90% of the components were still series 80. My notoriously tight Les Baer is just a hair tighter then the Clark. However, the gun does have close to 20,000 rounds through it. Roughly 1000 rounds passed through it over the weekend without any cleaning and not one jam. Steve and Greg said that it'll do as much as 2000+ rounds between cleanings without jams.

It's deadly accurate and very tight. Definitely nice work. If Steve can accomplish excellent tightness without sacrificing reliability, it's hard to imagine why Wilson, Baer have problems achieving the same level of performance.

To answer your question Paladin, if you have an opportunity to pick up a Brown, get it. They are few and far and worth the money.

·
Registered
3,078 Posts
I forgot to mention, the .38 Super is a great caliber. You can load up or down with it. Recoil varies between guns and loads. I still like the .45 but the .38 is definitely no slouch. If you ever need any load data, send me an email.

·
Banned
1,482 Posts
Thanks for the info, Son. My next purchase will be either a Wilson CQB Compact or an Ed Brown Bobtail Compact. I'm getting more and more interested in the Brown as I hear about them. Since they are cosmetically plain, though, would it be sacreligious to have Novak or someone do a Special Ops Package to jazz it up?

------------------

·
Registered
3,078 Posts
By doing that, you're kinda defeating the purpose of owning an Ed Brown pistol. For what you're describing, you'd be better off buying a Les Baer SRP.

·
Banned
1,482 Posts
That's what I thought. If you're going to buy a Brown, keeping it stock is a key to enjoying ownership. I'd rather do that than buy a Baer and trick it out.

------------------

·
Banned
1,482 Posts
Well, I guess that answers the question, Son. No one ever accused me of not being odd. And I'm proud of it.....

------------------

1 - 17 of 17 Posts