1911Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A little while ago my buddy and I were talking about 1911's. I was looking at buying one at the time. I'm now a proud owner of a Smith & Wesson 1911.:) He didn't seem to understand why I would want a 1911 and kept telling me that I should 'Just buy a Glock'. I told him, 'I don't want a Glock' but he persisted that I should get one. The only handgun he owns is a Glock 27. Now, for you Glock lovers, more power to you. They seem to be very nice, but they're just not for me. We then got into talking about SA versus DOA and so on. I tried to explain 'cocked and locked' to him but he didn't seem to understand at all. He responded, 'Glocks don't need a safety'. :scratch: At that point I decided to give up, and let him keep thinking what he was thinking. Some people just don't get it. I love my 1911. I love it's design. A design which has been around since the year 1911 and has been used in every major conflict by some sort of U.S. forces since then, and is still being used today. I love the heritage of the 1911. The feel, the power and the accuracy. So, I'm going shooting today with said buddy and I'm going to let him shoot my 1911. We'll see if I can finally make him see the light. :)

·
Registered
27,694 Posts
I was explaining my Dillon reloader to a group of guys at an IDPA match one day. One of them asked how much it cost.
When I told him, about $800 with everything, he says,

"I could buy two guns for that!!"

Lotsa folks into buying guns. Damn few ever worry about getting good with them.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Well said sdra2007, very well said. 1911 all the way!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Am I the only one that enjoys both Glock's and 1911's? :scratch: Both are stellar designs and each have their pro's and con's.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
I know it's been said a lot, but the old Harley Davidson ad- "If I have to explain, you just wouldn't understand" (or something like that) fits here too.

BillD said:
I was explaining my Dillon reloader to a group of guys at an IDPA match one day. One of them asked how much it cost.
When I told him, about $800 with everything, he says,

I've had that same discussion about training.
"But I could buy a gun for what that class cost you".
Yeah, you could. But since you already have a gun, which would do you the most good?

·
Registered
874 Posts
Glocks dont do anything for me though they are indeed fine weapons.

I was a huge HK fanboy until i started shooting 1911s again, when I put my USP and 1911 toe to toe the choice was clear

·
Registered
27,694 Posts
BarryinIN said:
I know it's been said a lot, but the old Harley Davidson ad- "If I have to explain, you just wouldn't understand" (or something like that) fits here too.

Yeah, you could. But since you already have a gun, which would do you the most good?

Yup, I know Barry. These same guys stop at WalMart on their way to the match and pickup 100 rds of ammo and could NOT figure out why I spend that kind of money just to have cheaper ammo.
The didn't shoot enough to make a difference. They also could barely manipulate their guns or hit targets on a regular basis.

·
Registered
500 Posts
cp1213 said:
Am I the only one that enjoys both Glock's and 1911's? :scratch: Both are stellar designs and each have their pro's and con's.
It's possible. I owned a Glock 17 for a long time. Loved the gun but it bored me. I don't know how to explain it but I wouldn't own another one. I got to shoot the 21SF and I also think it's a great pistol for those that like Glocks but I wouldn't spend my money on one. I like condition one carry so that's why I own H&K USPs and returned to owning 1911s.

BTW, Glock's do have an external safety (as I'm sure you are aware), just not in the place where I would want an external safety because in my opinion, it's location is rather useless.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't have anything against Glocks, they're just not for me.

That's another thing that he said to me, 'You could buy a Glock and an AK-47 for that much'. It's as if he's more interested in quantity than quality.

·
Registered
500 Posts
"Beware the man with one gun"

Don't sweat it. People don't know what they don't know. A shooting buddy came up to me and said, "I'm going to downsize my handgun collection because you show up with the same pistol every night and you are consistently shooting very well". Practise with a purpose and set specific goals. Money is relative. If you want more guns and can afford it, good on ya. I meet alot of guys that love to show off their "gun collection" but really suck at shooting:scratch: .

·
Registered
415 Posts
BarryinIN said:

Amen on the Harley slogan, been riding them since 1960. If I couldn't afford to ride a harley, I would walk..

·
Banned
1,866 Posts
sdra2007 said:
I don't have anything against Glocks, they're just not for me.

That's another thing that he said to me, 'You could buy a Glock and an AK-47 for that much'. It's as if he's more interested in quantity than quality.
Everybody has their priorities. I don't know if I would stretch this as far as a quality vs. quantity issue. I've seen crappy 1911's and AK's and I've seen great 1911's and AK's. With Glocks, I've only ever had to see one - they all look pretty much the same and are all of pretty much the same quality.

If I only shot 500-1000 rounds a year at a standard range, I'd probably buy a lot more guns than I would gun accessories. When you shoot A LOT, you start having to factor in all the extra mags, holsters, other gear, not to mention the reloading and other non-shooting stuff to go with them. Once you do that, the budget for more guns gets smaller to almost non-existent.

Just something to think about.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Take your buddy to the target range and let him shoot your 1911 side by side to his Glock and he probably, just might, get it. Glock makes a good gun or tool, no doubt, but they are not for me. They have no charisma, I don't like the grip, or the trigger. But I would never doubt using one if I needed to. I prefer my SA guns 1911, BHP 9mm and .40, cz75 SA, HK P7, Browning Buckmark, Ballester Rigaud .45, over DAO's and DA/SA's anyways

·
Registered
14,937 Posts
I like Glocks and 1911s and don't waste a lot of time trying to impress "afficionados" of either. I shoot a lot more with my Glocks than with my 1911s, but do enjoy shooting the 1911s occasionally.

If you only own a 1911, particularly if it's your first handgun, then you just "won't understand." :) (Same for those who only own Glocks.)

·
Registered
664 Posts
can't remember who posted it, but it was on this forum and I liked the analogy (I'm paraphrasing): "The Glock is like a Ford Taurus - a perfectly fine automobile, pretty good value for what it is, but the only people excited about driving them are those that haven't driven anything else."

I don't own a Glock, and I own 4 1911's, so obviously me opinion is biased, but I just can't get past how damned ugly Glocks are. I know that they're fabulous weapons, have a well-deserved reputation for all their legendary qualities of durability and reliability, but dang it - they're just the most hideous pieces of weaponry this side of a prison shank. In fact, they only recently lost their title of "Ugliest Firearm on the Planet" to the Springfield XD!

(Flame away, XD aficionados!!!) :dope:

·
Registered
500 Posts
Misfit said:
...they only recently lost their title of "Ugliest Firearm on the Planet" to the Springfield XD!

(Flame away, XD aficionados!!!) :dope:
:biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh: ROFLMAO:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

·
Administrator
73,785 Posts

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.