1911Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
764 Posts
Thanks Scott, very nice gun. I surely will never own one of those! I have a legitimate question however. Regarding the stampings on your posted gun. The lettering appears 'weak', almost like it was stamped prior to completion and more metal was removed during finishing leaving the USP and MODEL letters weak. (The Singer logo is not this way). Side by side with the weak USP stamp is the very strong, raised metal serial number stamp. Can you explain the sequence in manufacturing/marking that would cause this difference? Thanks.

·
Registered
764 Posts
second look

Sorry Scott. On my second look at your photos, although still weaker than the serial number stamp, the MODEL stamping does show the raised metal around the letters. So now I guess my question is about the USP stamp only. Thanks.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Just a thought about depth of markings,etc;

Arsenal Engineering drawings give frame thickness specs as .762-.005,so as to say, .min. thickness is .757" and max. thickness is .762,that is a total allowance of .005" in thickness(to put in perspective,the barrel rifling has lands that are .004" to .005" tall),so depending as to how marking machines are set up,whether controlled by pessure regulated (compensates for variable thicknesses) or controlled by a fixed distance(clearance) only, could have a marked visual effect on the resulting appearence of the markings,if everybody else is as confused as I am,let me put it this way,

#1-If it is done by pressure regulation and a press is set to 1,000 psi.,it will apply pressure til 1,000 psi. is reached regardless of the thickness of the material being stamped.

#2-If controlled by a fixed clearance,and the machine is set to only travel downward til a min. clearance of .754" is reached,if a slide is .757" thick it will have letter depths of .003",if a slide is .760" thick it will have letter depths of .006". There is one other possibility that some form of drop hammer stamping machine was used,doubtful as by comparison they were very old technology.

Stumpy

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.