1911Forum banner

Some questions about my Colt m1991A1

2K views 20 replies 11 participants last post by  Magnumite 
#1 ·
I've been looking at doing some more changes to my M1991A1. I found these sights, and I was wondering if anyone here has a picture of a 1911 Government with this particular sight installed. I can't seem to find one. I really don't want to be doing any milling on my pistol. If my research is right, this should be a drop-in on my M1991A1.
Rectangle Auto part Font Composite material Brick

See less See more
#2 ·
You might check pics of the S&W 745, which came from the factory with that sight.

#8 ·
I’ve seen Colts that weren’t cut for regular Novak rear sights but had these Novak sights on instead. While the functionality is the same, these sights do look weird sitting on top of a regular slide.

My suggestion is to get a rear sight that is retro looking but high profile and has good sight picture. Something like the Harrison.

#11 ·
I’ve seen Colts that weren’t cut for regular Novak rear sights but had these Novak sights on instead. While the functionality is the same, these sights do look weird sitting on top of a regular slide.

My suggestion is to get a rear sight that is retro looking but high profile and has good sight picture. Something like the Harrison.

Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel Everyday carry

Aircraft Hood Vehicle Aerospace manufacturer Military aircraft

Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Wood

While Novaks might not look as classic as other sights, they make up for it by being easy to see and very tough. The previous owner of my 1991A1 sent it off to Novak for slide cutting and sight fitting.

#20 ·

FN, I like that sight a lot. I have an unmolested GM that would look good on.

#13 ·
Yes, my FLG calls it the "doorstop sight" but it has some good points:
1. It fits the GI dovetail, saving a hundred bucks of milling machine time and leaving your options open if you change your mind again.
2. It gives a "barn door" sight picture, good for actually aiming the gun.
3. It should be very durable, lots of iron there. My King National Match was with me for years but it eventually cracked in half from recoil.

#14 ·
Totally agreed. However people tend to be sensitive to certain looks and I just wanted to give the OP a heads up on using that Novak rear sight with the Colt Cut would give the gun a funky look for just in case he might find the final appearance or to his liking.

If the OP were to truly wanted a Novak rear without spending money having the slide machined for the Novak cut and make the sight sits a hair lower then the Colt-cut rear is the way to go.

#15 ·
If you're going to machine the slide, Heinie is the way to go, but I understand what you mean. :)

Reactions: colrhino
#17 ·
The factory Colt sight wouldn't be so bad if only they cut the rear notch a little deeper. If you're careful you can do it yourself, as I've done with a couple of mine. Otherwise Fusion Firearms sells a similar sight with the deeper notch already added.

Reactions: RickB
#18 ·
The OP's picture looks to me like it cannot fit a standard slide because the rear horizontal surface is on a lower plane than the front, requiring milling a flat behind the dovetail. You could use it if you grind off that whole rear 'curtain' below the plane of the top of the slide.

#21 ·
Another advantage of the subject sight is it extends the sight radius…helps a little realizing the pistol’s accuracypotential.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.