1911Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just received the FP-10 can I ordered. Excellent delivery time (I'm in Italy), and I like the new turning cap too, very clever.
I've some questions:
1) On my old formula (brown can) FP-10 I found written "shake well": it's the same with new formula?
2) Is actually FP-10 meeting in all aspects MIL-L-63460D? Reading the new formula label, I 'not sure about this. This doesn't change anyway the good properties of FP-10, of course.
3) I'll run my comparative corrosion test with FP-10 old and new, BreakFree old and new, Corrosion X; do FP-10 "new" needs to "cure" on metal for some time, or I can run the test immediately after spreading it on steel?
Many thanks, MAXM

·
Registered
203 Posts
MAXM: Unless you have some VERY old FP-10 you will have the new formula in the old labeled bottle. It is easy to tell if you actually have the "old" formula, if you do it will look like it separates slightly after letting it sit for a short while thus the reason to lightly shake. The latest formula, which has been out for quite some time, does not require any type of agitation before use and has a nice amber color to it. I have talked several times to George about this and they have been putting the "new" formula in old labeled bottles for quite some time - had lots of labels and old style tops (Yorker style) to use up. I agree, the new style white tops with the built in flip-up spout are pretty nice indeed and make for a much nicer looking product package.

With regard to the specs published, if George and his company say that is what they meet then that is what they will meet. I have found George to very up-front, extremely informative and a guy who tells it like it is.

FP-10 is a superb product and I have found it to do exactly what it is claimed to do. Bunches of shooters around here are using it and all have been amazed at the differences it has made in their firearms.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Many thanks :) . Yes, my FP-10 brown bottle is very old, when I buyed it I think FP-10 was in the first years of manufacturing. I used most of it, and dismissed its use only because at that time BreakFree had even better antirust properties.
Regards, MAXM

·
Registered
363 Posts
sorry I'm Late....

Hi Max,

Thanks guys, for standing in my stead and supplying Max the answers he needed. I don't know how I missed this thread but thanks to Lycanthrope for informing me yesterday. He made the trek over here from New Castle in the snowstorm so we could get rid of our "Joneses" and burn a couple hundred rounds in the MPC warehouse with the bullet traps. All sexu...I mean shooting tensions have been somewhat satisfied. :D

The brown bottle IS old Max. Geeze, we quit using it in the very early 90's. You may want to give that to a local museum :biglaugh:

You don't have to shake the new FP-10. at all. No colloids or solids in it.

On the Mil-Spec; we are STILL in testing, and just finished another batch of tests for ARDEC. All of our Pre-testing and specs are within the parameters. What exactly, on the label, would bring you to this conclusion?

On your corrosion test, there is no "cure" time needed, at all. Go for it, and let us know how your testing comes out.

Best regards,
George

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi George, happy to read you and thanks for your kind reply. I think my brown bottle is about 1988-1989 old, i ordered it from you as soon I saw your first advertisement on AH.
I'm making a short article about FP-10 new formula for the italian gun magazine on wich I write from 1979, and I like to be sure about the infos I give to my (very few) readers.
The place on new label that let me incertain was the reference to milspec meeting marked with a little * only after the phrase "Will not freeze down to -65°F". Anyway, FP-10 (old or new formula) good qualities are the same :) , milspec meeting or not!
I'd liked to write my questions and my satisfaction with your product and your excellent customer service directly to your e-mail addresses, but as I said in other threads, this seems impossible for me.:confused:
Many thanks again to you and to all 1911Forum members, with my best wishes of a Merry Christmas and an happy (and full of shooting) New Year!
MAXM

·
Registered
363 Posts

You are most welcome Max, and the same to you and your family in al Italia.

the "*" reference on the bottle was the impediment we had for years, at not being able to reach the -65 deg F (-54C) Mil-Spec requirement, whereas at that time, we had a kinematic viscosity (old formula) that reached -52 deg F. That was the MAIN reason for the formula modification, and now, it indeed does perform down to -54C, with no problems at all, and excels in all other aspects, even better than before.

Best regards,
George

·
Registered
94 Posts
MAXM, per quale rivista scrivi? Ci si puo' abbonare dall'estero?

Grazie e Buon Natale dall'ex gigi*riva

Cheers

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hello Romulus, happy to read you. Your italian is perfect, I can't say the same for my english:( Thank you very much for your wishes and your inquiry about my writings, I'd like to reply to your question about the magazine name and yes, you can subscribe to it from USA, but before putting on 1911Forum the magazine name I wait to see on this thread an authorization from Moderator, I fear this could perhaps seems unsolicited advertisement. The last issue published (Dec. '03) just carry a rewiew about the blued Colt 1991 NRM 45ACP I've buyed this summer.
Best regards, MAXM

·
Registered
94 Posts
I think it's okay for you to mention the magazine, as the info was solicited by a member. Not the same as volunteering marketing material, but nevertheless I defer to your concerns. I understand why you'd want to await confirmation from the site administrators. I miss Italy and would love to have an Italian gun mag subscrition. Thus far I've only found "Armi e Tiro," and I don't see anything about foreign subscriptions.

I apologize for the digression, gentlemen

PS: your English is fine

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK, Romulus,

...I adhere to your opinion, you know Forum rules much better than me, and Jim V can always edit this reply if he dislike it.
Magazine is TACARMI (founded in 1964), address is Via Santa Sofia 27, 20122 Milano, Italy. telephone 0039 02 58320526, fax 0039 02 58315448. If you needs more infos ask for Dr. Luca Soldati, a fine guy and an experienced gunwriter too. Annual subscription from outside Italy is expensive, 80,05 Euro, or 118,79 Euro for two years. 1 Euro = about 1,23 $. Payement by cashier's check or int'l money order. 110+ pages for month, a lot of good photos, and not too much BS... :rolleyes:
Thank again for your friendly inquire, please other member pardon me.
MAXM

·
Registered
94 Posts
Thanks for the information, MAXM. Looking forward to checking out the magazine.

Ossequi, avvocato.

Romulus

1 - 12 of 12 Posts