1911Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a few observations of the New Sig 1911.
The pictures look nice, But the whole bottom looks like Caspian is making it. And looking at the top end the External extractor looks like Caspian.
From what I am hearing the gun is being produced in the U.S, and not Germany.
I was kinda looking more for a gun with more Sig/ german input, such as a Barrel with the outside of the Chamber square and the top three sided like the Sig guns. no barrel link and a guide rod with the Braided wire recoil spring.
I watched the Clock count down on the Sig web site to launch the gun, Big deal we were treated to a Spec page and a Thumbnail picture.
So far a couple of guys putting these together in New Hampshire with Caspian Parts ain't knocking my socks off.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Sounds to me like you wanted a sig 220? :)

Just kidding. A lot of things will have to go right to make this gun desireable in my eyes. I like 1911s, but I dont necessarily need to have one of every type. To be anything exciting, it will have to be priced right, say $800, and be a tack driver like the Sig220. I'm asking a lot, but for me that is what it'll take to stand out in the crowd of fine 1911s alread out there.

Brian

·
Premium Member
20,301 Posts
Sadly, all it will take to whup the like-priced guns already on the market is to fire every time the trigger is pulled without additional work.

·
Banned
5,951 Posts
AZ Husker said:
Sadly, all it will take to whup the like-priced guns already on the market is to fire every time the trigger is pulled without additional work.
No need to look for the high priced spread.....just look for a $600 NIB Colt and it will get the job done. :D

Regards,
Sam

·
Banned
597 Posts
t-tac, you're a little late. Sig has never claimed it was any of the things you seem to be upset that it's not. It's a parts gun, just like everyone else makes. The hope however is that it's a parts gun that functions right out of the box. I personally will be surprised if it DOESN'T with my prior experience with Sig.

If the hype holds true, its a handfit gun for under $900. Find that anywhere else?

·
Registered
513 Posts
AZ Husker said:
Yep, sad but true. Also, since the MSRP rumored to be just over $1000, and dealers are rumored to be taking orders in the mid $800 range, I think Sig will do very well if it is reliable right out of the box. While aesthetically I don't like the rail or extractor, from a reliability standpoint the external extractor will greatly increase the chances of this being a reliable gun.

·
Registered
192 Posts
SamColtFan said:
No need to look for the high priced spread.....just look for a $600 NIB Colt and it will get the job done. :D

Regards,
Sam

Here's to hoping...the two 1991's I owned in the past sure didn't.:eek:

I do understand the newest ones are a big improvement though:D

·
Registered
628 Posts
t-tac,
If you wanted a totally redesigned handgun, why would you want it named a 1911?

from a reliability standpoint the external extractor will greatly increase the chances of this being a reliable gun.
A properly tuned internal extractor has never been a problem in reliability. Going to an external extractor means the addition of a small spring and pin. If this spring or pin fails or gets lost the gun will most likely malfunction also.
Another ingenious solution to a non-existant problem.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Majic said:
A properly tuned internal extractor has never been a problem in reliability.
That is the key properly tuned. It takes some skill to do this properly and all too often people "de-tune" them when detail stripping their pistols. While both systems have their pros and cons it is simpler to make the external extractor run reliably on a production pistol.

Over on GlockTalk gunsmith and custom 1911 builder Mr. Teddy Jacobson explained why the external extractor can be a good idea. Here is a link to his post: Jacobson Comments on external extractors

·
Registered
628 Posts
No disrespect to Mr. Jacobson, but external extractors are not a new novel idea. Mr. JMB knew of them and even used them himself on earlier models, but for some reason chose the internal model for the 1911. Since he designed the pistol I guess he chose what he considered the best design for it. Everyone else is just trying to re-invent the wheel.

·
Registered
11,105 Posts
If I was starting up a 1911 Company tommorrow I would put AFTECs. Best of both worlds. Customers that want internal extractors can buy and tune a quality aftermarket part and those who dont can just keep the AFTEC. I put one in my SA Milspec because the extractor wouldnt stay tuned for more than a couple hundred rounds at a time and its been flawless.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
DMF said:
That is the key properly tuned. It takes some skill to do this properly and all too often people "de-tune" them when detail stripping their pistols.
Problem there being that most external extractor's use pins to hold them in, so they're a pain.

Also note: SIG's 220 has an internal spring steel extractor...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts