1911Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
564 Posts
Question to all users living in 10rnd magazine states- is it possible to negotiate with the seller to sell a gun like the one in this listing without magazine? This way you'll be able to equip it with after market mags that are legal to own where you live. I'm asking this because I'm not that familiar with those restrictions over there.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Question to all users living in 10rnd magazine states- is it possible to negotiate with the seller to sell a gun like the one in this listing without magazine? This way you'll be able to equip it with after market mags that are legal to own where you live. I'm asking this because I'm not that familiar with those restrictions over there.
In some states like MA, it's not solely a question of mag capacity. If the manufacturer hasn't passed the state's testing requirements, then FFLs in MA cannot transfer it. It's still "legal" to own these guns, but they'd need to be brought in by people moving to the state, then sold FTF.

Case in point: Colt won't play ball here in MA. The only way to get Colts here is if you find a used one someone has brought into the state and who is willing to sell (big markup), or if it was here before the law went into effect. Or if it's a C&R, of course. All these shiny new Colt models are fun to look at, but we can't get them whether they ship a mag or no.

I'm not sure about other states. Being a gun owner here in MA means you spend a lot of time worrying about legal issues instead of shooting. CA is worse. If you're a seller looking to do business in all these states, you'd do better if you were a lawyer.

ETA, for those interested: the MA testing requirement is a law, but it's administered by two different levels of government working independently; the AG maintains one list, EOPS maintains another. Guns need to be on both lists to be legal for sale. See, they're not banning possession; they're banning sales. Under the guise of consumer protection regulations. Sneaky, huh?

These little technicalities are bread and butter for those of us who choose to live here, but many dealers don't want to bother with them and simply ban themselves from selling perfectly legal guns to MA residents.

·
Premium Member
15,352 Posts
I thought $525 was high for an FEG that FEG did not assemble and finish. You can still find a factory FEG for less.

·
Registered
374 Posts
In Maryland its still legal for FFL's to receive 10+ mags, and even sell them to LEO's - or to out of state buyers; the actual restriction is only on civilians receiving them in MD. MD residents can legally purchase std mags out of state and legally bring them into MD. A few cooperative FFL's will send them to friends or PO Boxes outside of MD for buyers.

Very convenient to have relatives living just over the line in another state.

MD residents can even legally buy std mag parts in MD and assemble them in another state and bring them back into MD. Its little more than window dressing and intimidation of the uneducated and poor.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Considering it has Novak style sights, lots of C&S parts, $525 is not too out of line.
Actually no, it doesn't have "Novak style sights". The sight CUT is Novak and was milled by the factory. The sights are Ashley Express...installed by the factory. The extended thumb safety is FEG factory as well. The only C&S part evident/described is the trigger.

To each their own regarding pricing ;):D.....

·
Registered
621 Posts
Yes, I should have said Novak type cuts. I paid $399 + tax for a very good condition FEG with a factory extended safety. If I we're to have it milled for.dove tailed sight cuts, bought some sights, bought a C&S trigger to install, I would be in the $525 range pretty quickly. I paid $355 otd for my first FEG with a nub safety, in fair condition, again it would not take many "upgrades" to reach $525.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Prices of the popular models that are not on the Calif approved "roster" have doubled. If you own a pre law passage handgun that is now an unapproved model as a private party you can sell it to another individual here in Ca. If a lgs has the same gun they can NOT sell it to an individual other than LEO or out of state. It is a convoluted mess written by non gun culture leftists that honestly do not know what the hell they are doing....... other that trying to outlaw guns. Need I say, that system does nothing to stop hard crime. It does the opposite.... it emboldens them. I know, because I live in the middle of the highest crime city in California; to save you Google time it's Stockton, Calif.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
That is how you would to do it. FFL Would take away the magazine if over 10 rounds, and maybe not accept the order, could happen if the are **Ho's!! My FFL is a good place to work with, while registering guns. Yes, you can, get the gun without the Magazine, or ask for a change to 10 round Mags, i have done that. Otherwise it means you will be buying magazine's from Mag-Gar.
Scott

1 - 14 of 14 Posts