1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since one of the administrators mentioned that things were a little 'stagnant' here, I thought I would show this. I recently acquired this WWII Colt that has a set of 'Sweetheart Grips' on it, along with the correct set of grips.

I have heard that during WWII some of the servicemen would get pieces of the canopies from downed aircraft and shape the plexiglass to fit their service pistols. After much cutting and filing and polishing, they would put a picture of their girlfriend or wife under the grip and mount it to the gun. Thus the name "Sweerheart Grips".

I have only seen a couple of other pictures of this before, but would invite others to show their's here.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Wow, How cool is that.That is a great idea I wonder who thought of that.

·
Premium Member
15,671 Posts
I think it came out during that discussion that G.I.s usually didn't make the grips themselves - there was quite an industry in the occupied countries using aircraft plexiglas to make these. It is true that the plexi came from shot-down planes. I know that at least in Italy, artisans made beautiful small fighters (3" to 4" wingspan) out of aluminum from similar crashes.

·
Administrator
73,831 Posts
I always wondered about that. Most I've seen were too well-made and shaped to have been carved with a pocketknife by a bored airman.

BTW Vettepartz nice pistol.

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
In WWI there were so many brass shell casings from the field artillery that they were made into souvenirs with different battles and dates pecked into them, or just decorated. They were called "Trench Art", but there was a cottage industry there where the locals turned them out to sell to the GI's.

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,297 Posts
I have a set of clear "factory made" grips, which must date from WWII, as one of the grips has the appearance of a set of aviator wings carved or cast into the back. The pilot rating represented no longer existed after 1942, IIRC, so the grips must be that old. My dad said they would put the foil paper from cigarette packs behind the grips, which gives them a sort of pearl appearance. I'll see if I can take a decent pic.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Johnny Peppers you are right on about the locals in a war zone using whatever they could find to turn a buck. I know this is getting a little off-topic, but here are a couple of pictures of a brass vase and its bottom that were fashioned from an empty 105 howitzer case that I picked up for $2 when I was in VietNam in 1968.

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,297 Posts
I have a set of clear "factory made" grips, which must date from WWII, as one of the grips has the appearance of a set of aviator wings carved or cast into the back. The pilot rating represented no longer existed after 1942, IIRC, so the grips must be that old. My dad said they would put the foil paper from cigarette packs behind the grips, which gives them a sort of pearl appearance. I'll see if I can take a decent pic.
Kind of an old thread, but here's the pic I promised . . . three years ago.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Vettepartz....PM your way.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts