1911Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Never had a problem with bulge cases. I am using mainly RCBS dies (9, 40 and 45 in auto caliber) and Hornady 380 dies. But interested/thinking about getting some push through dies for 9 and 40 caliber cases.

Any suggestions what ones to buy?

When I set up the resizing die, I get it where it is a hair above the shell holder. Is resizing down that low doing the same thing as a push through die?

·
Banned
5,052 Posts
No, regular sizing is not the same as what a push-through die will do. A regular size die does not size all the way down to the extractor groove. A push-through die is required for that.

If you're not having issues with bulged cases, you don't need a push-through die. A push-through die is a special purpose die made to solve a specific problem. If you don't have that problem, you don't need that die.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

You can certainly use one, but one would ask why since it only adds another step to your loading process that, according to you, is not necessary.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
SD, You are correct "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". I do not shoot a lot of 40s any more but do have a bunch of brass on hand. I guess it is the question, do I spend the est. $100 for the die setup or just scrap those cases. When you can get 40 cal brass for say 4 cents, a $100 will buy you 2,500 cases. I just have an issue about throwing away brass.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When looking through the brass that I have sized, a few pieces are bulged right above the rim. do not know if it is worth getting a dies set. And from what I am hearing, the new Glocks (3 and 4 gen) have changed their chamber to fully support the case.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Just food for thought.

IMO, "Glocked" or "smiled" brass cannot be safely repaired with the so-called push thru dies for use in full power ammo in .40 S&W and especially 10mm. Before and after photos of sectioned cases over on Glock Talk's 10 Ring Forum show that although the case walls a smoothed sufficiently for the case to chamber, a crease remains internally at the bulge's original location and represents a weak spot which was not repaired. Essentially, the displaced brass was not uniformly redistributed.

$0.02 worth.

Bruce

·
Premium Member
4,590 Posts
I purchased a Lee Bulge Buster, which works with the Lee Factory Crimp Die. So I can now "push through" .380, .40 S&W, 10mm, and .45acp. I'm probably wrong but I thought I read somewhere that since the 9mm was a tapered case the Bulge Buster would not work. Since I rarely load 9mm it is a "non-issue".

Just my $0.02
Grumpy

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
I'm probably wrong but I thought I read somewhere that since the 9mm was a tapered case the Bulge Buster would not work.
Grumpy
Correct, 9mm Luger is tapered.

But you'll be surprised to find that 380acp and 45acp and a host of other 'straightwall cartridges' are also tapered. 9mm Luger is tapered more than these others, so we often treat it as 'tapered' even though the others are also tapered, just less than 9mm. But other than Bulge Busting, we treat almost all cartridges as if they are straight wall. Go figure. We humans are funny that way.

·
Registered
8,280 Posts
Bulged brass....

I would not risk buying a push through die and reusing bulged brass.....if you ever decide to use max pressure rounds, you may not be able to tell which brass was formerly bulged, and it may be weaker than a non-bulged case.....
Purchasing used .40 brass is fairly inexpensive, just buy used or once fired brass.....

I just have an issue about throwing away brass.
I don't throw any brass or used primers away.....I store them and then take them to a recycler and get cash for my scrap..... brass is over $1/lb. now....

·
Registered
7,262 Posts
I agree with the others that there is no reason to look for a solution to a problem you don't have.

That said, reportedly, using a 9mm Makarov Lee FCD with the Lee Bulge Buster kit will work for 9x19. I believe that this is even stated by Lee, somewhere on their website.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts